What's new

Best Blades For Your Money?

Bic Chrome Platinum for me. I never have issues with them, and have yet to find any blades that match them (with Polsilver SI coming close). At around $15-$17 per 100, they're the best value, IMO.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Personna reds have been, by far, the best value I've gotten on a blade. I get the same quality from Feathers, but at about twice the price.

All that said, there's no such thing as bad value on a blade that works for you. In raw dollars, they just don't cost that much.

YMMV and the best blade is the one that works the best for your face. I have a stockpile of blades which I have shaved with. When I test out a blade, I use it for the week to see what the characteristics are and if they work for me or not. The blades I have stockpiled now are
Bolzano
Feather
Perma Sharp
Voskhod

For what I've used, my go to is Bolzano, period. Works the best for me. I can usually get 5 great 3-pass shaves per blade and are smooth as glass. Feathers, very sharp but abrasive for me. 2 and out when using and are not forgiving. Perma Sharp, good blade 3-4 shaves per blade. Voskhod's, best price point around and are smooth as glass for me. 2-3 and done if lucky, but are nice while they last. I lean towards a more expensive blade since I get more out of one than a less expensive one. Also, Bolzano's, Timor's, Polsilver's
are very smooth and won't be as harsh as a Feather. Voskhod's are my go-to for an inexpensive blade that really works well.

Feather's are cheap here in Thailand (and a touch overrated IMO). Astra are less than half the price and Dorco are virtually free. After extensive testing of the first two (there's a reason Dorco are virtually free) i discovered Gillette Super Thins priced similarly to the Feather. These last longer than Feather and are twice as smoothe. I introduced a friend to Feather, and later Super Thins. Like me he's dumped the Feathers and bought a 2 year supply of Super Thins. These provide a marvellous shave and are good for 5 shaves and a Sunday headshave, unlike the Feather or Astra which lasted less and sometimes cut me. A blade cost less than 13 pence.
Yesterday i fancied a change and put in a 7o'clock Yellow (another top notch blade) but they're not available here in Thailand and are no better than the Super Thin (ditto other favourites like Silver Blue and Polsilver).

I think if you live in the West and buy online Derby are an underrated blade. Cheap as chips with an incredibly smoothe post shave sensation. I'd happily put them into an occasional rotation though i don't think they're quite up there with the Gillettes.

BTW. I would not entertain the idea of "going cheap" on any blades. Buy the best ones for you and enjoy your shave. They're all relatively cheap.

I'm still very early on in my sample packs. My L6 came with BlueBirds and my MTO came with Dorcos. The BlueBirds work well in both razors. I used the Dorco for maybe one shave and didn't like it. I'm going to try them again. I tried the Personna Lab Blue in both and it was not great, which surprised me. The Astra SP works great in both after four shaves. The first shave felt a bit ... strong (not harsh, not sure how to describe it). But these seem to work really well for me. We'll see if anything else beats them out, but I at least know I'll have something that works really well form me and is quite inexpensive.

Depends on whether you mean now or over a period of time. Blades seem to vary in price depending on availability. I got 100 Astras delivered to me and 100 Voskhods - both for under $10 per hundred including the shipping. Those were great value blades.

Depends on whether you mean now or over a period of time. Blades seem to vary in price depending on availability. I got 100 Astras delivered to me and 100 Voskhods - both for under $10 per hundred including the shipping. Those were great value blades.

How about both past and especially present.

Personna Lab Blue box - very close smooth shaves at a reasonable price. Better longevity than below.
Polsilver Super Iridium - maybe a bit sharper than Personna Lab but at a higher price.
Astra SP - lowest cost but not as smooth as the above.

I just purchased another 100 Nacet, for $14.21 delivered.
I am in the middle of testing a Nacet blade, and I really like them.

Top Bottom