What's new

Derby Blades

They are cheap though. You can find them on sale around $5 for 100. So at 5 cents each, they are great value IF you can shave with them and get ~3 days use out of them. If you can only get one shave, then get something else.

I'm a Derby fan, actually prefer them over astra sp and personna blues.

Derby blades, Gillette 7 o'clock yellows and to an extent red Israeli personna blades are my 3 favorites.

There has been a ton of Derby trashing posted over the years, and I don't care for them anywhere near as much as Gillette blades from Russia (like my Astra SP favorite), but I did buy a hundred Derby blades several years ago, and they work pretty well for me. They don't last very long, but they are petty good when fresh, and very cheap. I use one every blue moon or so just to keep them in the mix, and I don't hate them. That is a good thing, as I hate Shark blades, and don't care for Feather blades. I can understand how a Derby blade might suit someone's face just right. After all, that is all that matters....

In these early days of my BAD, I have acquired Derby, Shark, Merkur, Astra, and a sample pack. I've actually tried Merkur, Derby, and Feather. I've gotten as much use, and the same shaves, from the Derby as I get from the pricier Merkur and the highly rated Feather, and it takes the same 3 passes plus touch up to get to BBS. I do not try to get more than 5 to 7 uses from a blade so I cannot attest as to whether any one or more of them has special longevity.

I'm a Derby fan, actually prefer them over astra sp and personna blues.

Derby blades, Gillette 7 o'clock yellows and to an extent red Israeli personna blades are my 3 favorites.

+1 I picked up a large order form Connuaght last year. I get several days of great shaves from the Derby blades.

I enjoy Derby blades in my R-41 and Fatip. The more aggressive the razor the more the Derby blades shine.

proxy.php

I use more Derby blades than anything else. I get identical results with them as with Personna and Astra, and they last longer than Feathers. I think the "D" in "DE" stands for "Disposable"...so when I'm not getting a good shave, I switch blades and get a great shave.

I don't use Derby currently, but I have in the past. If the goal is to save some money, at $5 for 100 they are decent. They are smooth, but not sharp, IMO.

Last edited:
I enjoy Derby blades in my R-41 and Fatip. The more aggressive the razor the more the Derby blades shine.

proxy.php

+1 or just use them in a slant.... That seems to increase the sharpness of any blade in my opinion, especially if the slant twists the blade to make it stiffer.

Derby is my go-to brand of blades, and I find that they work well for me in any razor I've tried. In fact, I'm working on a 100 pack of them, and haven't used anything else in a while. They work especially well, at least for me, in a mild razor, such as my English Gillette Tech. I always put a once or twice-used Derby blade into a less mild razor for a smoother feel.

Derby gets a bad rap from a lot of people, but I have yet to find anything that gives me the same balance of comfort and results. To each their own.

I have a Derby 5 pack that I have yet to try, but I am one of those weirdos who gets along with any blade, so I'm sure I will like them, currently using Sharks and love them!

Derby Extras are great, no complaints. I get 1 week worth of shaves and that's good enough in my book.

I use them in either the EJ de89 or a Schick TTO. I find them smooth and sharp enough for my face. Not too sharp, nor dull, just right :)

I had received a 5 pack of Derby blades with my EJ de89 back in December and finally tried one last week and another this week. So far, I'm not impressed. Both blades worked good on one side, but the other side was so rough that it was not usable (very rough and pulled instead of cut), so I've had to treat it like a single edge razor. I have 3 more to go, so we'll have to see if they're the same way. I'm guessing that I probably just got a bad batch, but it really makes me have no interest in buying their blades in the future.

I get very good results with Derby blades. They are one of half a dozen brands of which I've purchased 100 packs. I find them smooth and forgiving.

Just received some Derby blades for the first time today. Haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet. Hoping they give me at least a SAS!

Tried Derby's for the first time this morning. Got a nice shave, but felt I needed to work harder to realize a comparable final result. I had switched from a Wilkinson which I had used for at least 6 possibly 8 shaves. I was disappointed with the Derby, has the old Wilkinson outperformed it even at the end.:bored:

Top Bottom