What's new

My first go with my '63 Slim that Captain Murphy fixed up for me!

Good afternoon gents,

Over the course of the last year, I've taken to acquiring a good number of razors; both modern and vintage. I recently sent Captain Murphy 5 razors for inspection, cleaning, and to ensure that all were mechanically sound. My daily razor - as of late - has consisted of a Merkur Mergress, which I really like.

Well, today I elected to give my '63 Gillette Slim a go; for I had never used one to this point. From everything I had read, I knew that I was in for a positive experience as the Slim tends to get positive reviews most everywhere. I was, however, not expecting the shave experience that I received this morning. Wow. I was very surprised and impressed by this razor.

Coming from the bulkier/heavier Merkur Mergress, I initially found the Slim to be a bit tiny by comparison. But that soon transitioned to a feel that was very comfortable and maneuverable. I felt I had more control with/over this razor; more precision if that makes any sense? The resulting shave was BBS big time with zero irritation and zero weepers.

The Slim is - for me - a great vintage razor. One which I'll be using more often as it has now taken a front seat to my Mergress.

A word about our beloved - Captain Murphy. There isn't much I could say about this gentleman that hasn't already been said ten times over here on the forums. What I can say is that I found him to be gracious, selfless of his time, knowledge and talent, and incredibly generous and patient. He is a man among men. I know that he will be the ONLY one I call upon should I ever find myself in need of a vintage razor inspection/restoration. Captain Murphy, if you're reading this, May God Bless you and your family. Thank you for all your help!!!!

Last edited:
Very cool.

Myself and the Slim were born nearly simultaneously, so I share a sort of human-razor kinship with it. I believe the very first razor I drew across my adolescent peach fuzz was an adjustable Gillette Slim, in about the late 70's.

+1 on the Captain, his skills and generosity are second to none!

I've only had 2 shaves with a fatboy that he restored, but so far I think its cured my RAD :thumbup:

He's has a couple of mine and I cant wait to see them after he puts his touches on them! One is a Super Speed and the other is a 1962 Slim Adjustable!

I will chime in with a bit of praise for the Captain.
Such generosity is a rare thing theese days.
But I would really like to find a way to repay cap for his selfless service to our fine community.

Although I do love my Fatboy's, my favorite adjustable vintage razor is the Slim, and Captain Murphy has squared away both of the ones I own.
Once you find a favorite blade, or blades that work well for you, you can start playing around with different settings.

We could start with a B&B Merit Award, then go from there. His contribution to the members of this site is quite simply outstanding, and hopefully he will be considered for that particular honor.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I do love the Slim. I find its balance and feel to be natural and intuitive. Yes, "precise" is a great word for it, as it feels as if it is just an extension of my hand. It was the first razor I really got the hang of, and the Slim always will have a large and special place in my heart.

Cap already has worked over a couple of Slims for me, and I've passed those on to others who've wanted to try them out. Razorplate is sending another one (and a Fatboy) back to Cap right now for his expert reassembly. I am like a kid waiting on Christmas!

A B&B Merit Award is a fantastic idea, and I'll do anything I can to help out with that. (FYI, I also understand that the man enjoys jerky and stinky cheese!)

Top Bottom