What's new

Strop With an "X" Logo

Hello Everybody,

I have a question concerning a strop I have with an “X” asits logo. It is an older strop that I’vehad lying around. I decided to pick itup and play with it lately as it had the feel of a good strop. And, indeed it has been doing very well witha little bit more draw than I would care for. Anyway, I have queried Google and this site with no good results. It feels like latigo leather with the lookand color of bridal leather. Its onlyidentifying mark is the X at the top center. I can’t remember how I came upon it but, I’m just curious about itsmaker. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Chasmo

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Post a pic. I used to mark many of my seconds with an X so they could not be passed off as being first quality. I'd have to see the design of the X and the placement to be sure though as I did several variations.

Here you go. Now, whouldn't that just be dandy to find that I have a Tony Miller strop that I didn't know was a Tony Miller. It really does do a good job with or without using the vintage linen that I attached to it. It would just figure.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Charlie

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 101
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 102

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Not mine for sure as it would have had my usual cap with Chicago screw hardware. I usually put my X at the bottom of my seconds. That is the same style X I used though but not my swivel snap either. Body looks like Latigo and if it works well your are good to go.

Looks like a nice strop. OTny is to modest to say it, but I am positive he would never send out a sewing job like that one. Not criticizing your strop at all, just pointing out that Tony is the best there is and a true master craftsman.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I have never offered sewn ends but do sew other leatherwork I have done. I did do some red latigo strops with the X and wonder if someone modified it with their own end caps. They may have been plain strops with a thong/ bead hanger and a straight cut end, one of my early practice strops perhaps

Last edited:
That's all my work. I ended up with only the leather strop and scrounged the rest from a retro yard full of junk, except for the linen which I already had. Chicago screws were no where to be found. The sewing was with a nail filed to awl shape and pliers as a handle to push it. My own knees functioned as a sewing pony and large needles to run the thread. I often travel to places where resources are very limited. But, it worked for me then and even nowadays I turn to it though I have a very nice Plain Vanilla and a Scrupleworks hanging on the other side of the same door knob.

Thank you Tony for your input. If it looks like your X stamp then it most likely is one of yours. It certainly has working charistics of your strops. Thank goodness your work doesn't look like mine or you wouldn't be in business very long. Its performance has always made me wonder if it was someone's strop of some quality.

Regards

Charlie

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Pretty sure now that the piece of leather you used to make this started life as a red latigo practice strop from when I first started offering them. They just had a 5/16" hole at the top with a leather thong and bead, plain bottom and were 2 1/2" x 19" long. Made from my usual strop stock but probably had a fat wrinkle or healed scar on it somewhere. All they got for markings was the X, not my logo.

And yes, even though it was just a practice strop it bugs me that I stamped the X crooked :mad2:

Last edited:
Tony,
Not to worry, it is obvious that my rustic sewing has distracted the eye from your X. No one will see it and I'll continue to endorse your products as highly as ever. This thing really does work well and I keep going back to it from time to time. Perhaps I'll find some nice leather and hardware to sew it to with better equipment while I'm home.

Much Regard

Charlie

Top Bottom