What's new

Broken brush - what to do.

So I was shaving the other day and the knot loosened in the handle of my brush. I was planning on taking some marine epoxy and repairing it, but I have a slight dilemma after poking around here a bit.
This is the brush I have: http://www.themenssoapshop.com/collections/shaving-equipment/products/brush
Probably not great quality, but it was a starter piece. I do like the handle though; it's nice and heavy!

Do I:
1. Repair the brush and be done with it.
2. Repair the brush with a higher quality knot & use the old knot with a new handle that I pick up.
3. Toss the old brush and assemble an entirely new one.

Thoughts?

Also, it just occured to me that it may be quite difficult to remove the old epoxy from the handle. Does anyone have tips for this? Can the old knot even be reused or will the epoxy that is already in it make it impossible?

Thanks in advance!

I guess it depends... If you like the feel of the knot on your face then just fix it. If you don't like the knot then look for a new one. You obviously like the handle so junking the whole thing would be last on the list.

InNae

When you say "loosened in the handle", did it come out completely? The reason I ask is that several brushes I have restored actually have a narrowing of the opening right at the top, presumably to allow the epoxy to harden beneath it and prevent knots falling out. If that is the case, you might have difficulty salvaging the knot.

If you really like the handle, I'd go with Door #2 and upgrade the knot in a handle you really like. Don't see a reason to consider Door #3 if you like the handle and the knot can be salvaged or removed.

I'm with BSAGuy on removal of epoxy - probably one of the easiest parts of any restore. Even easier with a Dremel and sanding drum or wire brush bits. I actually chuck up my Dremel bits in a drill press for better control.

Top Bottom