What's new

Do you prefer aromatics or non-aromatics?

What's your preferred smoke? Straight up tobacco blends or do you like a little flavour thrown in there?

And if you like aromatics, what's your favourite flavours? I don't mean brands, just flavours in general.

Personally I like non-aromatics. I'm originally a cigar smoker and like exploring tobacco without flavourings. That being said there are some flavours I enjoy, like rum and vanilla.

I enjoy both, but I've probably got more aromatics in the cupboard.

In enjoy vanilla flavors.

What do you like to smoke your aromatics out of? I've heard a lot of people use corn cobs specifically for them and then leave the briars for unflavoured blends.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I tend to favor non-aromatics, but there's a few aromatics I really like. Vanilla is always a good flavor. Caramel and hazelnut are also good. Rum is ok, but I like it better when it's not the only flavor. As for pipes, I've never dedicated pipes to specific blends, or types of blends. I've never noticed any ghosting, but since all the tobaccos and all the pipes get mixed and matched, it could just be that everything is uniformly ghosted. I'll used a small pipe for a blend with a lot of nicotine, but flavor's not a factor.

I'm not a fan of "American" aromatics... aka the goopy stuff that you need a blowtorch to light. "English" aromatics? Those are a different story. I love me some Lakeland essence. Do I prefer it more than straight up tobacco? Depends. I'd say I love English and Lakeland blends about the same amount. Second place is VAs and VaPers. Third place is burley blends.

I tend to favor non-aromatics, but there's a few aromatics I really like. Vanilla is always a good flavor. Caramel and hazelnut are also good. Rum is ok, but I like it better when it's not the only flavor. As for pipes, I've never dedicated pipes to specific blends, or types of blends. I've never noticed any ghosting, but since all the tobaccos and all the pipes get mixed and matched, it could just be that everything is uniformly ghosted. I'll used a small pipe for a blend with a lot of nicotine, but flavor's not a factor.

How many pipes do you have if I may ask? Since you like vanilla as well, what's your favourite vanilla flavoured blend?

I'm not a fan of "American" aromatics... aka the goopy stuff that you need a blowtorch to light. "English" aromatics? Those are a different story. I love me some Lakeland essence. Do I prefer it more than straight up tobacco? Depends. I'd say I love English and Lakeland blends about the same amount. Second place is VAs and VaPers. Third place is burley blends.

Any examples of "goopy" aromatics to avoid?

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
How many pipes do you have if I may ask? Since you like vanilla as well, what's your favourite vanilla flavoured blend?
Honestly, I'm not sure how many pipes I have. I just looked at a picture of my cob collection,and I counted 25. I figure that's roughly half my pipe collection, so somewhere in the vicinity of 50, give or take 10. Of course, most of these are inexpensive pipes. I don't have a large collection of Dunhills and Petersons.

As for my favorite vanilla blend, I would say Prince Albert Soft Vanilla. It's been a few years since I've had it, but I don't remember it being goopy. "Soft Vanilla" is actually the perfect name for it. A nice mild vanilla flavor. I had my best smoke ever with that stuff.

As for my favorite vanilla blend, I would say Prince Albert Soft Vanilla. It's been a few years since I've had it, but I don't remember it being goopy. "Soft Vanilla" is actually the perfect name for it. A nice mild vanilla flavor. I had my best smoke ever with that stuff.

+1 for Prince Albert Soft Vanilla. Tastes great, and it's nice that it's OTC, there's a chance that you can find it in a common cigarette shop or convenience store.

It's physically soft leaf, soft to the touch when you grasp some in the pouch to load into a pipe. I doubt that's why they call it "Soft" but I did observe that.

There was a time that all I smoked were aromatics. Now all I smoke is anything but aromatics but PS LTF. I don't think of LTF as a aromatic.

What do you like to smoke your aromatics out of? I've heard a lot of people use corn cobs specifically for them and then leave the briars for unflavoured blends.

I almost always smoke cobs, but some people do like cobs to try new tobaccos. That way if they don't like it, the taste isn't left behind in their favorite briar.

I'm into non-aromatics because I like tobacco with a nice strong flavor and aromatics tend to be too mild for me.

Non-aromatic English blends for the most part. VAs and VAPers about 20% of the time. Only lightly aromatic tobacco on occasion. DE Grand Central is one of my favorite Aros.

Any examples of "goopy" aromatics to avoid?

The Captain Black series is pretty wet and gets "goopy" at the bottom of the bowl. Paladin black cherry, the majority of the Altadis bulk aro's I have tried are like that as well.

I'm in the minority in that I'm 90% aro, 10% Latakia blends, and don't like pure VA, Vapers, or pure burley at all and don't smoke them.

I like caramels, vanillas, light fruity blends...

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still new to pipe smoking so suggestions like these are definitely helpful.

I had one person tell me they love Frog Morton. Anyone else a fan? Is it worth picking up?

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still new to pipe smoking so suggestions like these are definitely helpful.

I had one person tell me they love Frog Morton. Anyone else a fan? Is it worth picking up?

I enjoy it, as I think many here do. Frog Morton's Cellar seems to be a particular favorite.

For those of us that like latakia blends, Frog Morton is almost always on the list of a blend we like.

Top Bottom