What's new

I am back and have another restoration in progress

I have been gone for quite a while now but still lurk here and there. I have been growing a beard for a good 6 months or so so shaving has been severely missed!

Although I can not shave it has not stopped me from buying razors and brushes. Today this beauty arrived in the mail. It is unlike any other color I have seen which caught my eye and the finished product immediately poped into my head. I will get to ordering the knot when I am done with this post.

So far I have removed the old knot and cleaned out the leftovers. It seems as there is a shelf in there but it seems like a rock! And I mean a real rock! I wanted to add a magnet to the bottom of this like my others but I don't think I am getting any further than that. Also looks as if there are threads that the old knot was possibly threaded on with.

My next update will be up once the knot comes in!

Last edited:
I just ordered a black badger from TGN!! I can't wait for it to arrive so I can get it seated and put it to work. Although I don't shave my entire face anymore I still do some cleanup work on my cheeks and my front and back of my neck!

Wow good luck on that restoration that is quite a beautiful handle. I agree a very unique color and it definitely catches attention. I am new to this but it has my attention. I will one day learn about restoring brushes because that is quite a nice piece and this is what the hobby is about. I have been admiring everyone's collections since I joined. It's certainly making it hard for me not to dig in. I am really trying to pace myself but I feel its not's going to work out too well for my wallet. Good luck and welcome back.

That's a cool handle for both design and color. Good luck with the knot install.

Good to see you back here, Mr. 'Stache. How's your truck doing?

That's a cool handle for both design and color. Good luck with the knot install.

Good to see you back here, Mr. 'Stache. How's your truck doing?

Thanks for the good luck, anyone know what's up with that rock like thing in there? I may not be deep enough in there for the new knot.

And thanks for the welcome back! The truck is doing alright... Just one thing after another! Now I am getting about 3 check engine codes that need looking into! Plus the tires I got are already weather beaten so that's another expense. No luck for this guy.

Love that color green. That Klenzo handle will make a very nice brush. Will be interested to see what it looks like with the black badger knot installed. A Forstner drill bit may allow you to go deeper into the handle if it is solid below where the old knot was. Good luck with the restore.

Billy, that is one BEAUTIFUL brush! I must have one!

So I set my knot yesterday and it is now drying. The knot is not as black as I imagined but it still looks ok. The handle was in such great condition I didn't even need to sand it at all. I did however remove the metal piece that was there to make some room for the 20mm knot. I have yet to add color to the engraving on the bottom on any of the brushes I have restored. I will work up the courage soon enough. Hope you guys like it! I'm surprised how soft the black badger knot is and I haven't even broken it in yet.

I think it looks very good. I like the knot color with that handle. Please post some pics and your impressions after using it.

Thanks, I thought the green and black would look pretty cool together which is the only reason I picked that knot.

Today's shave was chalked full of firsts. First time using my new barbacide container, first time using a black beauty razor (picked it up for $10!!) first time using a Gillete blue, and my first time using my new brush!!

So my first SOTD in roughly 8 months consists of: Tobs sandalwood cream, black beauty @6, Gillete blue blade, recently restored and first time use of the Klenzo brush with black badger knot, and Imperial aftershave.

My shave was just to touch up the areas around my beard since I have not cleaned it up since I started growing the thing and the back of my neck (I am my own barber). The shave was AMAZING!! I truely miss shaving my whole face routinely but I also love to sport the beard so it's a tough choice. At least I can still shave some parts of my face right!?! The black badger preformed perfectly, a very nice amount of back bone and it was just a tad scratchy but it was my first time using it so let's see if that changes with time. It was by no means too scratchy though, my skin is sensitive and just the brush would of given me irritation if that was the case. It whipped up lather like a CHAMP even with me being out of practice on how to do so.

So... Without further delay, my SOTD pic! It has already blumed beautifully with just the one use!

Brush looks great and that is a sweet pic! Love the setup - with the Barbacide, scuttle, vintage razor and newly restored brush. That combo of black knot with beautiful green handle is right on the mark - nice choice.

I understand your beard dilemma -I sport a pretty good goatee and my youngest has never seen me without it and my oldest daughter does not remember her being scared of me without it when she was little - wife does not want it shaved off, but I really want to try some of these razors on the chin and upper lip.

Brush looks great and that is a sweet pic! Love the setup - with the Barbacide, scuttle, vintage razor and newly restored brush. That combo of black knot with beautiful green handle is right on the mark - nice choice.

I understand your beard dilemma -I sport a pretty good goatee and my youngest has never seen me without it and my oldest daughter does not remember her being scared of me without it when she was little - wife does not want it shaved off, but I really want to try some of these razors on the chin and upper lip.

thanks for all of the comments! I just recently aquired the barbacide along with the black beauty. I thought it was fitting to use the black beauty with the black badger brush right?!? Now time to save up for more knots, I have about 7 more brushes to restore... Two ready to set a knot into!!

Yes - the Black Beauty and black knot are a good match.

I have 6 to do myself and have a 30mm WD handle arriving this week to put a 28mm Silvertip knot in to. I won the auction for the knot and it was too good to pass up. That goatee may have to go with that larger brush....

Top Bottom