What's new

Saving old brush and bristles - Any advice

I received an old shaving kit for Christmas that included a shaving brush.

IMG_0188.jpg

The handle advises the brush has been vulcanised. Given what I know about the razor and the approximate age of the kit, I am assuming this is likely a horse hair brush (or very old synthetic). Assuming it is horse hair the vulcanised rubber holding the hair in is likely old and perishing or soon will.

From what I have read about restoring brushes on the threads, most remove old knots and replace with new. I am keen to use the existing brush and bristles as it appears to have never been used.

Any advice on how to stabilise or reset the bristles to make sure they don't all fall off and go down the sink on the first or subsequent use?

Thank you in advance.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would certainly use it as is and would not reknot unless absolutely necessary. I am not aware of any way to stabilise the knot but if you are inclined to soak a brush before use then I would only immerse the bristles about half way and ensure the handle and glue is not soaked. I would give it a comb and a test palm lather before use. Nice kit, I have found lovely razors and soaps in similar sets which would have been out of my reach if they had been sold separately; your Souplex is a beauty 👍

Thank you Richard

I usually only soak briefly and always only the tips to halfway up bristles at most. As mentioned, I think this is horse hair and of the brushes I currently have, I do not currently have a horse hair brush. Hence, I am keen to keep this knot working if possible.

Thank you for your advice and it may just be that I need to give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers.

lasta

Blade Biter
You could attempt judicious glue drops using a needle. But I suspect there is a high risk of things getting messy!

Most people who restore brushes are in it for the handle.

Try it as is, best case nothing breaks! Most likely the knot will come out in one piece, then you can re-attach it easier. Worst case scenario, hair falls out in patches, like those on your head.

Hello,

use it as long as you can. If the bristles keep falling out in high number I suggest to take out the knot and replace it with a new knot. I make brushes, but never knew a method to stabilize the knot from above with glue, that would result IMHO that the bristles stick together on not intentended places as well, rendering the knot to be useless.
Regards
László

Top Bottom