What's new

Moustache Help

Hi B&Bers,

I'm at straight shave 21, and I feel like everything is coming together pretty well, I'm even starting to shave S-N. However my moustache (which grows pretty thick) seems to be my Achilles heel.

I can't seem to get it clean no matter what and this morning, when I tried to shave it, no matter where I put the blade it was tugging and felt like it would rip the skin. I dont think its the blade because it glided smoothly with and against the grain everywhere else on my face.

I could really use some help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Hello!
Could it be that your moustache hair are just not made pliable enough during prep? Maybe it's just the pre-shave routine that could be changed?
Having quite thick, hard facial hairs myself, I know the feeling and solved it with "going the extra mile" during prep.
Just a suggestion:
The area around the nose tends to be quite fatty/waxy. Maybe you should try to "clear" out the area by carefully "splashing" with a bit of alcohol/cologne, and then soak it with a paper towel. The alcohol will remove the fat on the hairs and open them up for water intake
Then wrap your face with a nice hot wet towel and let it work its magic. Then a brush on them with warm/hottish water, then oil and then lather.
As I'm a bit lazy, I decided to let my problem areas (like the moustache and chin) grow and ended up with a nice beard. ;)

Hello!
Could it be that your moustache hair are just not made pliable enough during prep? Maybe it's just the pre-shave routine that could be changed?
Having quite thick, hard facial hairs myself, I know the feeling and solved it with "going the extra mile" during prep.
Just a suggestion:
The area around the nose tends to be quite fatty/waxy. Maybe you should try to "clear" out the area by carefully "splashing" with a bit of alcohol/cologne, and then soak it with a paper towel. The alcohol will remove the fat on the hairs and open them up for water intake
Then wrap your face with a nice hot wet towel and let it work its magic. Then a brush on them with warm/hottish water, then oil and then lather.
As I'm a bit lazy, I decided to let my problem areas (like the moustache and chin) grow and ended up with a nice beard. ;)

i may have to try this myself. i have the same issue

I use a two handed ATG approach on that area as well as the chin. I find that I am doing more of it one handed as I get more shaves under my belt, but I just feel more confident when the nose is the only thing stopping the blade in the event of a skip.

Along with stretching it out with your facial muscles (moving your upper lip down, a finger lifting up and away from next to the nostril is a big help. Use a little alum to get a good grip on lathered skin. Skin stretching is so key to shaving with a straight and the biggest difference from using a DE imho.

Top Bottom