What's new

Starting with straights (beginning)

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, although I have been reading a lot of posts previously as I started with a DE razor, getting rid of my gillette mach3 (that DESTROYED MY FACE OVER AND OVER).

After a few months (few weeks ago) I decided to go further and try straight shaving. As I read a lot of reviews saying that shavettes and straights were different and that shavettes were more unforgiving, I decided to get a real straight (although my budget wasn't enormous!!!)

I got myself a mainstream DOVO razor made from carbon steel and plastic scales shave ready, a Loom strop with one side pasted and oil to keep my razor from rusting. creams, soaps and brush, I had them already.
I loved it, just for the ritual and my skin and shaves improved a lot.
However, I started to see that the results weren't that optimal.. I don't aim for BBS because I have really sensitive skin, so 1 or 2 passes and touch ups is the best I can do. I couldn't shave close enough and missed a lot of spots, since the blade is long and my face has a lot of hollow spots. My skin was excellent, though...

The fault, of course, was my technique. the razor was shave ready, I stropped it every time I used it (it even cut hair on my arm midway and all that) but I couldn't shave properly and it pulled a bit. probably angle, etc, etc..

Therefore, before I could do something wrong and damage the razor or myself :bored:, after 3 weeks (yesterday) I got myself a shavette.. kind of a parker pulling system. Afraid that it would be unforgiving as I was told, but still, good practice.

I have to say: IT IS EXCELENT :w00t::w00t::w00t:!!! for training my technique until I handle the straight perfectly, I say: new guys like me, DON'T BE SKEPTICAL ABOUT SHAVETTES, try them.. it's cheap and it will get a really close close close shave (just with one pass and touch ups)
I shave with cold water (i've experimented and it's best for my skin than hot water) and, if you are really careful, you won't cut yourself.. don't use a really harsh blade, of course!

I'll be using the shavette during the week (it's simpler and quicker) and the straight on weekends, shaving every two days (my beard is strong, but until trying the shavette and straight, I couldn't handle shaving everyday)! sorry for the long post and thank you all for all the info and preparation you got me with the many posts in this forum.

Beginners like me START SHAVING STRAIGHT & STRAIGHT SHAVETTE

Best to all!!! cheers!!
Manel

Using a shavette will require special attention to lather quality, angle & pressure( or lack of). You'll also need a soap/cream with plenty of slickness for straights. If you haven't seen it watch Lynn Abrams straight razor for beginners video on youtube you should. I've watched it over & over. Notice how he uses different parts of the blade for specific areas. He doesn't say anything about it but you'll notice if you're looking.

Not to derail, but thanks, Lightfoot. I had NOT noticed that before. I will pay closer attention moving forward.

Manelra . . . I am new to Straight shaving as well. There are MANY helpful members here who will assist you with whatever questions you have. Do not be so quick to shelve your straight. Others here will tell you it is more forgiving than the shavette, as they told me when I considered what you are doing now. Of course, YMMV and, if it IS working for you, then congratulations.

Using a shavette will require special attention to lather quality, angle & pressure( or lack of). You'll also need a soap/cream with plenty of slickness for straights. If you haven't seen it watch Lynn Abrams straight razor for beginners video on youtube you should. I've watched it over & over. Notice how he uses different parts of the blade for specific areas. He doesn't say anything about it but you'll notice if you're looking.

I've seen that video over and over as well!! it was probably one of the best tutorials I got! but I didn't notice those details!! good advice! gonna check it more and more!!! thanks!

Not to derail, but thanks, Lightfoot. I had NOT noticed that before. I will pay closer attention moving forward.

Manelra . . . I am new to Straight shaving as well. There are MANY helpful members here who will assist you with whatever questions you have. Do not be so quick to shelve your straight. Others here will tell you it is more forgiving than the shavette, as they told me when I considered what you are doing now. Of course, YMMV and, if it IS working for you, then congratulations.

I agree with you!! the shavette seems to be more unforgiving, as I said earlier! but i'm not at all shelving the straight! i'm just gonna use it more sparingly at this early stage (i'll use the straight on weekends and leave the rest of the week for the shavette) in order to get used to this type of shaving and gaining technique and making errors (probably) without damaging expensive things such as the straight!! since the shavette is affordable, it's good for beginning! thanks for the advice!!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, although I have been reading a lot of posts previously as I started with a DE razor, getting rid of my gillette mach3 (that DESTROYED MY FACE OVER AND OVER).

After a few months (few weeks ago) I decided to go further and try straight shaving. As I read a lot of reviews saying that shavettes and straights were different and that shavettes were more unforgiving, I decided to get a real straight (although my budget wasn't enormous!!!)

I got myself a mainstream DOVO razor made from carbon steel and plastic scales shave ready, a Loom strop with one side pasted and oil to keep my razor from rusting. creams, soaps and brush, I had them already.
I loved it, just for the ritual and my skin and shaves improved a lot.
However, I started to see that the results weren't that optimal.. I don't aim for BBS because I have really sensitive skin, so 1 or 2 passes and touch ups is the best I can do. I couldn't shave close enough and missed a lot of spots, since the blade is long and my face has a lot of hollow spots. My skin was excellent, though...

The fault, of course, was my technique. the razor was shave ready, I stropped it every time I used it (it even cut hair on my arm midway and all that) but I couldn't shave properly and it pulled a bit. probably angle, etc, etc..

Therefore, before I could do something wrong and damage the razor or myself :bored:, after 3 weeks (yesterday) I got myself a shavette.. kind of a parker pulling system. Afraid that it would be unforgiving as I was told, but still, good practice.

I have to say: IT IS EXCELENT :w00t::w00t::w00t:!!! for training my technique until I handle the straight perfectly, I say: new guys like me, DON'T BE SKEPTICAL ABOUT SHAVETTES, try them.. it's cheap and it will get a really close close close shave (just with one pass and touch ups)
I shave with cold water (i've experimented and it's best for my skin than hot water) and, if you are really careful, you won't cut yourself.. don't use a really harsh blade, of course!

I'll be using the shavette during the week (it's simpler and quicker) and the straight on weekends, shaving every two days (my beard is strong, but until trying the shavette and straight, I couldn't handle shaving everyday)! sorry for the long post and thank you all for all the info and preparation you got me with the many posts in this forum.

Beginners like me START SHAVING STRAIGHT & STRAIGHT SHAVETTE

Best to all!!! cheers!!
Manel
If you are getting a "pulling" or "tugging" from your straight, chances are that it is not shave ready. Try performing a hanging hair test on the full length of the blade to see if it is. As far as the angle goes, look at the thickness of the spine and try to keep it 1 to 1.5 times that distance off of your face.

When using a straight, your lather needs to be a little thinner than what you would use for a DE, so add a few more drops of water when whipping it up.

If you have any questions, head over to the straight razor sub forum and those good folks will help you out! Good luck with your new adventure!

Last edited:
If you are getting a "pulling" or "tugging" from your straight, chances are that it is not shave ready. Try performing a hanging hair test on the full length of the blade to see if it is.
If the shavette gives a better shave than the straight it tends to point to a problem with the edge.
When I got my Dovo with Factory edge on it, it could shave, but not well. There are mixed reports about how shave ready Dovo's are when bought new. You might want to try getting it touched up. In the case of mine, all it took was a crOx pasted strop.
Having the shavette gives you an element of comparison now. If it is not as sharp as the shavette, chances it is not sharp enough.

The stropping could be at fault too, by the way. How much did you strop? Before, After? Linen? Leather?

If the shavette gives a better shave than the straight it tends to point to a problem with the edge.
When I got my Dovo with Factory edge on it, it could shave, but not well. There are mixed reports about how shave ready Dovo's are when bought new. You might want to try getting it touched up. In the case of mine, all it took was a crOx pasted strop.
Having the shavette gives you an element of comparison now. If it is not as sharp as the shavette, chances it is not sharp enough.

The stropping could be at fault too, by the way. How much did you strop? Before, After? Linen? Leather?

Thanks all for the advice!! it really helps! When i bought the razor, it already cut hairs midway above my arm, which is quite sharp! I have already touched it up with chromium oxide since the last shave (which was the first time i REALLY felt a pulling)... I tested it now: hair test is fine and thumb nail test as well!! I strop with a loom strop! one side leather, the other, chromium oxide. I only strop with the leather side, for about 40 to 60 strokes!

I believe this is all about my technique, not the razor, IMHO. That's why I got the shavette at the first place... although both may shave with different techniques, angles, etc.. side by side, I think it can be a great help for me to accustom myself to STRAITS. using (for now) the shavette the majority of the time and in weekends the straight! any more suggestions, I would be happy to read them! thank you all very much!

I strop with a loom strop! one side leather, the other, chromium oxide. I only strop with the leather side, for about 40 to 60 strokes!
Depending on what you call a stroke, that might or might not be enough.
When I started a friend told me what worked for him was 100 (50 each way). I did not know any better, so that is what I did. Still do.
But I also started adding the use of the reverse side (linen - un-pasted) as it is more abrasive than the leather (but less than crOx). And I do 50 (25 each side) on this before using the leather.
I also strop after shaving. Stropping after shaving is a good idea if your razor is carbon steel anyway as it ensure the edge is really dry. I do as many stroke after as I do before (but 100 is on linen and then 50 on leather).
I might be over-doing it, but my razors tend to get smoother over time, not worse.

Top Bottom