What's new

Pilot Asa-gao

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It is. It is also kinda thin and seems to bleed through anything I use except for the finest French paper.

This is what happens when you have your pens set up to write a juicy, wet line.

It is. It is also kinda thin and seems to bleed through anything I use except for the finest French paper.

This is what happens when you have your pens set up to write a juicy, wet line.

I find it also likes a good amount of 'drying' time.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Remind me, what color is it?

I remember someone somewhere once said that that Sailor's "Nano-pigment Blue-black" was the ink that other blue-black inks wanted to be when they grew up. Or words to that effect.

IMHO, Asa-gao (and I just inked it up in a pen of mine on the weekend ... talk about co-inky-dinkys) is what Baystate Blue will be when it grows up and stops trying to glow in the dark.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Tiniest bit of purplish medium blue, typical of the "royal blue" inks.

Asa Gao is a beautiful dark blue (not blue-black, IMO) which reminds me a bit of Private Reserve's DC Electric Blue, though brighter and does not shade as much. I use it on Rhodia and Franklin Christoph papers and it neither feathers nor bleeds through, even with broad nibs i use most of the time.

Sample on Rhodia paper:
$Pilot Iro Asa Gao.jpg

IMHO, Asa-gao ... is what Baystate Blue will be when it grows up and stops trying to glow in the dark.
:laugh:

It really is a pretty, true blue. I'm going to get a bottle one of these days. I enjoy regular Pilot Blue, but Asa-gao is much richer. I keep telling myself to finish bottles of ink before acquiring new ones, and right now Kon Peki is my blue of choice, but the bottle is going down too slowly.....

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I keep telling myself to start new bottles before getting another new bottle! :lol:

I remember someone somewhere once said that that Sailor's "Nano-pigment Blue-black" was the ink that other blue-black inks wanted to be when they grew up. Or words to that effect.

IMHO, Asa-gao (and I just inked it up in a pen of mine on the weekend ... talk about co-inky-dinkys) is what Baystate Blue will be when it grows up and stops trying to glow in the dark.

I have a Pelikano Jr. inked up with the Sailor nano blue-black right now, and it's great.

Every bottle of iroshizuku ink that I buy ends up being adopted by my wife or my daughter. No one has tried to steal my Baystate Blue yet.

Top Bottom