What's new

Crosswind on 747-8✈️

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My...it seems almost every video I've seen...the pilots seem to 'struggle' to get their planes safely on the ground (GPWS reminds flight deck crew..."Minimums [pilot says "Continue"...GPWS later states...Retard, Retard, Retard” [translation...the plane is pissed off after the long flight and is venting anger on the crew :lol1:]). ✈️

Any pilots on B & B care to comment
proxy.php

proxy.php
“We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the [flight]”. Bertha Calloway

Last edited:

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I've had some scary landings, only one in a "big" plane though, the others in Navajos and Cheyennes (only a passenger).

I used to fly into a lot of projects with dirt strips and on one of them the wind was always just plain wrong. We'd often approach the runway at a ~60 deg angle to it, then the pilot would pivot the nose around when the rear wheels touched. A bit of a rush!

That's the usual cockpit dance with any airplane. If the cross wind was really bad, you wouldn't see the centreline out the window until feet above the runway. Those are the ones that are fun to watch from the outside!

Large passenger airplanes fly an instrumented approach procedure that sets their decent rate from several miles out. They, all of us actually, configure the plane into a stabilised decent so that it doesn't want to pitch up or down un commanded, you can feel it in the controls. Most of the excitement that passengers don't see is on final approach where you might be coming in sideways, it's called crabbing into the wind. Even normal landings can require a lot of work at the controls due to the different layers of air that you are passing through. The large airplanes have everything programmed into them for the flight, but the pilot flying has to transition from autopilot on final approach to taking control at some point and that's what you are seeing in the video.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I've had some scary landings, only one in a "big" plane though, the others in Navajos and Cheyennes (only a passenger).

I used to fly into a lot of projects with dirt strips and on one of them the wind was always just plain wrong. We'd often approach the runway at a ~60 deg angle to it, then the pilot would pivot the nose around when the rear wheels touched. A bit of a rush!
Rob:
Not to get off thread, but just for 'kicks & giggles'...can you explain for us...what does your custom title say
proxy.php

Your Title.jpg "To me, ...[custom] titles [do] matter. Everyone is into [shaving]. It's [one of the ways] we stay in business". Harvey Mackay

mcee_sharp

That's the usual cockpit dance with any airplane. If the cross wind was really bad, you wouldn't see the centreline out the window until feet above the runway. Those are the ones that are fun to watch from the outside!

Large passenger airplanes fly an instrumented approach procedure that sets their decent rate from several miles out. They, all of us actually, configure the plane into a stabilised decent so that it doesn't want to pitch up or down un commanded, you can feel it in the controls. Most of the excitement that passengers don't see is on final approach where you might be coming in sideways, it's called crabbing into the wind. Even normal landings can require a lot of work at the controls due to the different layers of air that you are passing through. The large airplanes have everything programmed into them for the flight, but the pilot flying has to transition from autopilot on final approach to taking control at some point and that's what you are seeing in the video.
What do you fly? I absolutely love being a passenger in planes and helicopters, maybe if/when I retire I can learn to fly.

Funnest plane ride for me: hugging the topography in a Twin Otter

Coolest plane: co-pilot seat in a radial otter (on floats), was hard to keep my eyes open since the engine kept lulling me to sleep!

mcee_sharp

Rob:
Not to get off thread, but just for 'kicks & gigles'...what does your custom title say?

attachment.php
"To me, ...[custom] titles [do] matter. Everyone is into [shaving]. It's [one of the ways] we stay in business". Harvey Mackay

I made an acronym, and the mods gifted me a title :D

What do you fly? I absolutely love being a passenger in planes and helicopters, maybe if/when I retire I can learn to fly.

Funnest plane ride for me: hugging the topography in a Twin Otter

Coolest plane: co-pilot seat in a radial otter (on floats), was hard to keep my eyes open since the engine kept lulling me to sleep!
Dude, that's awesome! Old Otters are amazing, but kind of scary. Flying is a lot more fun when you don't know too much, seriously. Flying yourself, with modern congestion, can be kind of stressful in small planes. You really can't just go jump in your plane, take off and fly around even though some still do so anyway. I am just a low hours pilot trying to get to 500 so I can fly single engine charter until I get to 1500.

That’s quite normal, nothing excessive.

It’s more bumpy than crosswind actually. You can see the speed tape and speed trend all over the place. But there’s no strong crosswinds apparently.

That’s just a normal hot summer day approach.

If you think this is “struggle”, I’ve got news for you.

A real severe turbulence with strong crosswinds is waaaay worse than that.

Don’t tell anyone, but I like it!:c1:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
That’s quite normal, nothing excessive.

It’s more bumpy than crosswind actually. You can see the speed tape and speed trend all over the place. But there’s no strong crosswinds apparently.

That’s just a normal hot summer day approach.

If you think this is “struggle”, I’ve got news for you.

A real severe turbulence with strong crosswinds is waaaay worse than that.

Don’t tell anyone, but I like it!:c1:
Alex Jr:
You mean "severe turbulence with strong crosswinds" like this (❓);

proxy.php
"Turbulence [and crosswinds] means nothing if God is the pilot". Matshona Dhliwayo

Last edited:
Alex Jr:
Ever been in 'wake turbulence'?
proxy.php

View attachment 1753181"[Wake] Turbulence [and crosswinds] means nothing if God is the pilot". Matshona Dhliwayo
Of course, it happens all the time.

The worst one happened when landing (airbus a320) a little more than 3nm behind a triple 7.

Just about to start flaring below 50ft the aircraft banked aggressively to the right. Every pilot reaction is to counteract immediately but on Airbus sometimes you have some delays on the flight controls inputs. It’s not immediate cable response like the 737 (I miss you). It was not a pleasant “fight”, for sure.

But buttered the landing :c1:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Of course, it happens all the time. [really?]

The worst one happened when landing (airbus a320) a little more than 3nm behind a triple 7.

Just about to start flaring below 50ft the aircraft banked aggressively to the right. Every pilot reaction is to counteract immediately but on Airbus sometimes you have some delays on the flight controls inputs. It’s not immediate cable response like the 737 (I miss you). It was not a pleasant “fight”, for sure.

But buttered the landing :c1:
Alex Jr:
OK...but not only did I find this co-pilot competent, she is
1700902290493.jpeg
! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Hotness is being comfortable in your own skin and embracing your uniqueness". Anonymous

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
An American Airlines jet makes stomach-turning landing in London. Numerous flights were diverted at England’s Manchester Airport on December 21 2023 due to strong winds from Storm Pia.

These pilots are the best...nerves of steel! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Turbulence [and crosswinds] means nothing if God is the pilot". Matshona Dhliwayo

Top Bottom