What's new

Edwin Jagger DE or Maggard M1

You can't go wrong with the EJ. I haven't used the M1, but I have used the 89 and now also use the 89 kelvin, which has the same head as the 89.

Here's why I like the EJ:
-mild, yet efficient
-with the right blade, you can buff your heart out and not fear nicks
-works great on my jaw line which is a struggle in some other razors
-it's a 3 piece, so you can interchange handles (but so is a m1)
-fair price (m1 is cheaper I think)

It's kind of a fool proof razor. Even when I was really struggling, this razor kept me safe from cuts unless I REALLY pressed too hard on it.

EJ, because the question precludes choosing a high-quality asian clone such as the Schmidt R10, and the near-eastern emphasis on substance over quality means you'll only end up using the M1 handle on a Tech clone cutting head.

I have the EJ 89 and I love it. It is mild yet has enough aggression to keep you happy once you get advanced. I'm thinking of getting a Muhle 89twist. Has same head as EJ but more heft. Haven't tried Maggard but they rock as a shave vendor. I love ordering from them.

The handle on the MR1 is great. I just got one in the mail today. The head? Not so great...but it was $20 for the razor, not $34. My guess is that the MR1 would shave just fine, though.

I have heard bad things about the Maggard razors. Apparently they buy low quality razors and put the finishing touches on them to make them nicer, but it isn't always that great. I haven't tried one, though.

^^ I buy them for the handles. A $20 SS handle is a great deal. I can't see any difference in quality between theirs and Weber or iKon.

I have an EJ and I also love it. I am however planning on getting a Maggard razor simply for the handle and if the head shave well then that's a plus too. Never hurts to have a backup

Did a lot of research and went with the EJ 89 with the octagonal handle. Looks very classy & the oct. handle has some grip & not too slippery. Not too aggressive, + on being able to do additional passes without worry.

I've been happy with the DE89. I started DE shaving with it a few months ago and have found it to be quite forgiving with most blades while I"m improving my technique. I didn't like the Derby Extra blades that came with the razor at all. I get great shaves from Astra SP and Voskhod blades. I don't think you would be unhappy with one. Haven't used a M1, but +2 on the handle alone being worth 20 bucks.

Last edited:
I would go with the EJ. I received a M1 in and the head is junk! Can't get the blade to set square in it and if you contact them then pretty much tell you "yeah the head is what it is but the handle is great but you can send it back".

I cannot comment on the Maggard since I don't own one, but I do own an Edwin Jagger and I think it's excellent.

I've had the EJ DE89BA11 Barley for just about a week now and I have to say for me it was one of my best purchases so far. I've only tried Astra SP but the shave I get with this razor is so nice and without nicks or burn. Really a great razor.

Top Bottom