What's new

found this gem cutlery razor but cant find info

Anyone know anything about this set. The wiki link to where the info might be doesnt seem to work.
$20150131_164851.jpg
$20150131_164518.jpg
Sorry my pics suck here us a pic of the razor but not my photo
$gem98d.jpg
$gem98k.jpg

Holy Smoke, Batman!! That is quite a rare razor, so congrats on the find. I think this model was called the "New Gem" and was the predecessor to the Gem Junior Bar and was manufactured from 1898 to 1903. It was designed for use with the old wedge blades, so you aren't just going to be able to pop a modern Gem blade in there and go, but some people have modified their razors to work with modern day blades though, so it is possible if you really want to use it with modern blades.

That is an absolutely beautiful piece and congrats again on such an amazing find!!

It's a GEM lather catcher. (do a search for that and you'll find info, I don't have one myself so my knowledge is limited to what I read myself).

Holy Smoke, Batman!! That is quite a rare razor, so congrats on the find. I think this model was called the "New Gem" and was the predecessor to the Gem Junior Bar and was manufactured from 1898 to 1903. It was designed for use with the old wedge blades, so you aren't just going to be able to pop a modern Gem blade in there and go, but some people have modified their razors to work with modern day blades though, so it is possible if you really want to use it with modern blades.

That is an absolutely beautiful piece and congrats again on such an amazing find!!
what he said :thumbup:

its a beautiful razor, I have never seen them being modified so if you do, I think you should, keep us updated.........with pics.

A true beauty of a razor...very very similar to the original Griffon Safety Razor which had an earlier Pat. date. of Oct. 5th 1897.
Both made in New York around the same time.
A true treasure you have Batman :thumbup:

Is it suppose to be in that star case though? Did they just keep using the star tins instead of making new ones. I also though the New Gem says it on there which mine does not. Want to make sure its proper set. If not i can try and complete it. Thanks for the info though.

Last edited:
Is it suppose to be in that star case though? Did they just keep using the star tins instead of making new ones. I also though the New Gem says it on there which mine does not. Want to make sure its proper set. If not i can try and complete it. Thanks for the info though.

unlikely, but maybe. Gem didn't merge with Star until 1919 and I think your razor is older then that. I can only guess that the tin was reused to hold the razor by the owner of the razor. My "Gem Cutlery" - which is exactly like yours but not as shiny - is in a round Gem tin - "Be Your Own Barber"

-jim

unlikely, but maybe. Gem didn't merge with Star until 1919 and I think your razor is older then that. I can only guess that the tin was reused to hold the razor by the owner of the razor. My "Gem Cutlery" - which is exactly like yours but not as shiny - is in a round Gem tin - "Be Your Own Barber"

-jim
Yes the round tin is most likely what the original tin would have been, and the Griffon that I have is also same period, and it is a round one as well.

Great looking Gem! It has a strong resemblance to an 1880 series Kampfe Star, which is not surprising considering that the Gem Cutlery Co. was founded in 1898 by Jeremiah Reichard, a former employee of Kampfe Brothers.

Unfortunately the tin is for a Kampfe Star. As others have mentioned, your Gem was originally packaged in a round tin.

Still, the tin appears to be in much better than average condition, and is a collectable in its own right. Most of them have badly flaking paint buried under a ton of crud.

Like mine:

$tin1.JPG

--Bob

Top Bottom