What's new

Blade Sampler pack question

Hello again everyone! Still awaiting my razor arrival but everything else in my starter kit has arrived including a blade sampler pack. Soon the real fun will begin, but which blade to use first? Does it matter? I've heard the feathers should probably be used last due to their sharpness and me being new, makes sense. As for the rest, does it matter? More importantly, how many shaves should I use for each blade? How many of each type of blade should I use before moving onto the next type/brand of blade?? Thanks everyone!

Most useful to me was using a blade for three shaves, a couple of more if I had smooth results. I used each brand of blades for three blades each, so I could get a real feel for each brand of blade.

This took a while; then I went back and tested the ones I'd already used. I came up with three that gave me noticeably better results: Feather, Gillette Silver Blue, Astra SP. The rest were all also-rans.

Order really doesn't matter. Just use them all for 3-4 shaves each to see which you prefer. Good luck.

Most useful to me was using a blade for three shaves, a couple of more if I had smooth results. I used each brand of blades for three blades each, so I could get a real feel for each brand of blade.

This took a while; then I went back and tested the ones I'd already used. I came up with three that gave me noticeably better results: Feather, Gillette Silver Blue, Astra SP. The rest were all also-rans.
Just to clarify, you would use 3 of the same blades (at 3-4 shaves per blade) before moving onto a different brand blade altogether?

Welcome to B&B. Try each blade brand for 3-4 shaves. Move on after 3-4 shaves with that particular brand. You should have no problem getting 3 shaves out of a single blade. No need for 9 shaves using the same brand unless you have settled on it as your blade. Guaranteed some blades simply won't work on your face. You'll experience bad pulling and tugging out of the gate. Don't force that shave; just switch out to another brand immediately.

Welcome to B&B. Try each blade brand for 3-4 shaves. Move on after 3-4 shaves with that particular brand. You should have no problem getting 3 shaves out of a single blade. No need for 9 shaves using the same brand unless you have settled on it as your blade. Guaranteed some blades simply won't work on your face. You'll experience bad pulling and tugging out of the gate. Don't force that shave; just switch out to another brand immediately.
That sounds like excellent advice! Having not actually completed a de shave yet, having an idea of what to expect or look for in a bad blade will be key moving forward.

It's okay to start with any blade you want; Just be careful and use very light pressure.

+1. You should be able to get from two to four shaves with each blade - depending on your beard. If you find the blade isn't cutting but rather is tugging, then go to a new one.

They are, longtime ago I bought them in bulk. There was a period when I was rushing my face prep so the shaves where pretty bad, I thought the blades are bad. So I used PermaSharps for a long period. 3 weeks ago I decided to try the Astra's again and man they're very good. I regret the idea I wanted to give them away.

I like the 9+ shaves with the same blades. 3 shaves per blade, three blades from each brand in a row, more or ess, = 9 +/- shaves until I moved on to the next kind of blade.

This gave me more time with each blade, so I was able to tame some of the (many) variables in each shave and concentrate on the blade differences. In fact, I used 8 of the first blades I tried in a row, which was really helpful for me. This method enabled me to really get my technique down.

Good preparation is crucial.

I like the 9+ shaves with the same blades. 3 shaves per blade, three blades from each brand in a row, more or ess, = 9 +/- shaves until I moved on to the next kind of blade.

This gave me more time with each blade, so I was able to tame some of the (many) variables in each shave and concentrate on the blade differences. In fact, I used 8 of the first blades I tried in a row, which was really helpful for me. This method enabled me to really get my technique down.

Good preparation is crucial.

i do believe my first brand maybe the longest just because my technique will not be great, so the less changes I make will make that easier. Thanks for the tips!

I started with a feather blade and it wasn't pretty but I think that was due partially to a cheap razor and partially due to my inexperience. Next was a Derby - good blade but didn't seem to shave as close. Treet - excellent blade, shaves well, no nicks or cuts. Next up, I'm going to try the Astra.

I started with a feather blade and it wasn't pretty but I think that was due partially to a cheap razor and partially due to my inexperience. Next was a Derby - good blade but didn't seem to shave as close. Treet - excellent blade, shaves well, no nicks or cuts. Next up, I'm going to try the Astra.
That's why I was gonna shy away from the feathers I received till I get some practice in

Top Bottom