What's new

How are Frank synthetics?

So I caved in and orederd a Frank brush with synthetic fibers from Star Shaving supplies. This has a 24 mm knot. How are these brushes in general and how is synthetic lathering different? It seems pretty good because it has soft tips and a good-enough backbone. I'm not sure if it is Pur-tec though

It was hard to pass this up for only $16

Attachments

• $WP_20150127_003.jpg
    $WP_20150127_003.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 162
I was piffed a FS synthetic a while back. It was a pur-tec and was terrific. My brush had a HUGE knot, which was fine, but I thought it was set a little too low. That caused the bristles to not splay very well. I ended up piffing it to a coworker whom I've successfully enabled in the art of lathering with a brush.

I had one of his first gen brushes in a horn tubby handle. Did the job very well for a couple of years. I upgraded to a Kent synth as I am a Kent man.

I have the same brush. The Star Shaving ones aren't Pur Tech, but they are quite good brushes nonetheless. I also have the L'Occitane (Plisson) Cade and a couple of Virginia Sheng Pur Techs, and the Frank compares to these quite well, IMO. For less than half the price of the Plisson, it's really an excellent value. You'll notice a few differences from natural fiber, notably the "springiness" of the synthetic, but you'll adapt to that quickly. Like other newer generation synthetics, it's a lathering machine.

I adjusted to its springy qualities, but I noticed Frank synthetic does hold less water/heat though. Sometimes I'll have to reload between passes. For some reason, tallow soaps like Arko make more of the lather than VDH or glycerin-base. I don't know why.

Now, I'm able to make just enough lather for 2 passes. Maybe a shave stick might work better with these...

Which synthetic brush would a good upgrade from this one in the long run?

Here's a general consensus from all the synthetic brush reviews and discussions I've read over the past few months :)

The Plissson seems to be the front runner in terms of softness, holding water / heat, and splaying the easiest. Some find it floppy feeling though (although they all say it loads hard soap very quickly), and the version sold by Loccitane store has a wood handle has all the normal light-feel and durability problems wood has. The one available directly from Plissson has a high quality synthetic handle (and a much higher price).

The Muhle/EJ STF 2.0 seems to be the front runner in terms of a scrubby tipped feel, good back bone and a good quality handle. Some find it too springy / hard to splay though, and that springiness makes it tend to dump it's water all at once rather than gradually like the Plissson.

Both make outstanding lather, very quickly, with little soap. The Plissson is a little faster, but they are both way faster than badger and boar.

The Grooming Company seems to be the runner-up, and makes the Plissson fibers into a knot that is wider and set lower for a denser feel- but it has a very stubby handle and doesn't splay well. The knot reportedly work great if you reset the knot in a longer handle, and at a higher loft.

Ps: I personally have the Plissson by Loccitane. I face lather with hard soaps exclusively. It's makes such good lather, so fast, with such little soap - that I stopped using my silvertip badger and 1305 boar. And I don't have any concerns about vegan issues, nor any need for the brush to dry fast.

Last edited:
Agreed about the Plisson. Nothing I have makes lather as quickly, easily or as consistently excellent as the Plisson. The EJ XL brush is a great brush too. More suited for face latherers, just for the face feel. Lather creation they are equal.

I've owned Franks Shaving synthetics. They don't offer the same performance as the Plisson and EJ XL (in my opinion.)

Last edited:
The brush you posted looks a lot like the brush I have in the middle in this picture. Hands down it is my favorite brush and ran circles around the Plisson which I returned. They look identical to me so you should be in for one great brush if it is the same.

$bbWP_20150126_001.jpg

Upon closer examination, it does have a slightly different shaped handle and the loft looks slightly different but very close, judging by appearance only I would say it looks nice!

Last edited:
Here's a general consensus from all the synthetic brush reviews and discussions I've read over the past few months :)

The Plissson seems to be the front runner in terms of softness, holding water / heat, and splaying the easiest. Some find it floppy feeling though (although they all say it loads hard soap very quickly), and the version sold by Loccitane store has a wood handle has all the normal light-feel and durability problems wood has. The one available directly from Plissson has a high quality synthetic handle (and a much higher price).

The Muhle/EJ STF 2.0 seems to be the front runner in terms of a scrubby tipped feel, good back bone and a good quality handle. Some find it too springy / hard to splay though, and that springiness makes it tend to dump it's water all at once rather than gradually like the Plissson.

Both make outstanding lather, very quickly, with little soap. The Plissson is a little faster, but they are both way faster than badger and boar.

The Grooming Company seems to be the runner-up, and makes the Plissson fibers into a knot that is wider and set lower for a denser feel- but it has a very stubby handle and doesn't splay well. The knot reportedly work great if you reset the knot in a longer handle, and at a higher loft.

Ps: I personally have the Plissson by Loccitane. I face lather with hard soaps exclusively. It's makes such good lather, so fast, with such little soap - that I stopped using my silvertip badger and 1305 boar. And I don't have any concerns about vegan issues, nor any need for the brush to dry fast.

Nice summary.

I feel like synthetics are perfect for a college student because they dry quickly.. An animal-based one would be harder to maintain

I have a Frank Shaving Pur Tech, a Plisson and a Muhle (STF v2). They are all different and I like them all. Plisson is the softest and has the least backbone, though it does face lather well. The Muhle is just about as soft as the Plisson, but has more backbone. The Frank Pur Tech is very soft, but has a little scrub to it, with good backbone and splays more easily than the Muhle, but that may be because it's a larger knot than my Muhle. My Muhle is 21mm and the Pur Tech is 23mm.

I like them all, but I like all of my natural bristles (boar, badger, horse and mixes) better.

Top Bottom