What's new

RAD has officially struck me with a vengeance!

Well was looking at Craigslist today and found an add for a lot of Gillette razors. Very happy with what I got! So a month in after starting with my Merkur 34C and stating that would be it for awhile I know have a total of 6 razors. Joining my 34C and 1940's SuperSpeed is the following: Gillette Slim Adjustable J-2, a Gillette (Tech?) Ball End in Gold finish, Another Gillette SuperSpeed J-1, and something I hope lives up to all the hype a Gillette Fatboy E1. Don't mind the den thus far. Had to put the tooth brush holder I bought from Lowes with all the razors on my wifes shelf. All of them are used but well taken care of best as I can tell. So I will not feel bad about using any of them for shaving. Not going to use it till next weekend though. Shaving before work doesn't leave me a lot of time for experimentation with new razors.

Drying after cleaning and dipping in clean water to rinse the rest of the soap out.

Their new found home with my 40's SuperSpeed and Van der Hagen brush on stand in backround.

And the Fatboy! Now time to read about how to actually use the adjustment part. Clicks in firmly at each position at least, and doors operate freely.

All good razors, nice job in acquiring those. I really like my fat boy and my 40's super speed, well and the few techs I have too. Try setting the the slim or fat boy to 3, shave like you normally would, if you want more, turn it to 4 and so on. Whatever way you want to use it its all up to you. I like mine on 4 or 5 for daily shaving. There is also a little extra turn to the slim and fat boy, so after you have a blade in and at a setting you chose, then turn the knob a hair more clockwise and that locks it down. A good rub down with baby oil also gives them some lubrication and makes them shine a little better. Ive been shaving this way for over five years now, used many different razors, but those ones you have mentioned are usually what I use everyday.

Yeah the gentleman that imparted them on me said he would recommend with my course facial hair to use it on #3 as well. I wasn't sure if that would be to aggressive, but seeing as that is the consensus I will give it a shot. They are all in really good shape, and have light wear. The ball end is like brand new though with almost no wear marks. Used the 34C today though since I already had a blade in it, and will finish off the week with the 40's SuperSpeed. Saturday will be the day for experimentation.

About the quarter turn, does it stop when it is good enough? Or is that just a by eye/feel thing? I just don't want to break it. He showed me the quarter turn thing as well on the fat boy to lock in the blade. I just figure with it being brass and all it would bend/break the inner rod to the silo doors.

Nice razors! The desire to acquire a lot of different razors (and do it quickly) to experience all of the wonderful models you read about on the forums will subside a bit. You have a very nice Fat Boy and Slim Adjustable there in your collection. You have the milder end of the spectrum covered with the newer Gillette TTO and the Tech razor. You may eventually want to try a open comb 3 piece razor to round out the collection and try something different..

I went from 1 to 11 razors in 3 months - including two swings and misses at getting RiMei razors - that were not. I still search eBay for good deals on razors, as I would like to try Slim or Fat Boy (they look so cool) and have scoped out a R41 head to put on the Utopia handle. But the reality is - I think that I have found that I can get a good shave with almost all of the razors I have - so there likely will not be some magic with the next razor purchase. Some razors seem to be easier to get a very close shave with for me - like the Schick Krona and NEW LC. The Red Tip is a fantastic razor and perhaps a step down from the previous two, but it is very easy to shave with and I can cruise through three passes without fearing I will nick myself - even with a Feather blade..

So - enjoy the razors you have collected, work on technique and try some different blades to see what works best for you. The RAD will get better - then you can move on to SBAD (Shaving Brush Acquisition Disorder)......:w00t:

Top Bottom