What's new

Omega brushes

The major factor when selecting Omegas is size. All ya gotta do to figure that part out is know what you like. Personally, I find the 48 unnecessary, because the 49 fits all the criteria of being a "big" brush (at least IMO) without getting ridiculous. I face lather with my 49. Sure, it's a tad big for that, but it's manageable and the backbone is worth it.

If you want a brush that's more in the middle, there's the 10065. Not as dense as the Pro series, but still gives you the Omega backbone experience.

Short and scrubby? They've got options for that too.

My only experience with an Omega brush is the 636, badger.
It is the softest brush I had owned, maybe even my new Thater 4125/2 two band.
I would say for face lathering, it does have a lot of splay to it but; still a joy to use.
I have since gave it to one of my sons, I almost replaced it with another one, I decided to get a Thater 4342 instead.
One can never go wrong with a Thater brush as I now have 3!

I've got one small (10066) and one large (10049 or 49 Pro). They are now both broken in and are both great. I'm glad to have them in a rotation (along with a SOC badger & Plisson synthetic) since they give me different options in how precise I want to be. They both lather up a storm, and provide great backbone and yet good softness. Omegas are great deals... just pick a size.

I have the Omega 10066 , pro 48 and 49. The 48 is way too big for face lathering. I use it and the 49 just for head lathering. I bought the 10066 just for face lathering. I love all these brushes. Cheap and awesome.

I got a pro 48 this weekend and washed it with shampoo twice and worked it dry rubbing it into my hand. The tips quickly broke in as I watched the super bowl doing this. I used it for it's first shave yesterday and it whipped up a lather really fast and in copious amounts. It overflowed my bowl. Plenty of lather for 4-5 passes easy. Bonus to the break in routine is I did not have to use with the pig funk that it smelled of out of the box. This brush is a huge change of pace for me. I normally use the Simpsons Special s1 in best which is a smaller brush. I love both brushes though and will continue to use whichever strikes me that morning.

This is the third thread this morning where I've mentioned this. I have both the Omega 49 and 1066 for the past 2 months. These are the first brushes I bought, thanks to recommendations on the forum. They're both great, but quite different in size but both have great backbone and are soft on the face. Both are prodigious latherers, so it comes down to whether you like something smaller (10066) or larger (49). There was a posting on the Proraso brush, recommending it because the loft was slightly lower than the 49, but otherwise the same. Either way, you'll be happy. And I checked the Straight Razor Designs website this morning and the 1066 was $6.99 and the 49 was $7.99, so get them both!

I've just picked up an Omege 10019. I washed it well with dish soap first, then hair shampoo. Letting it dry between washes. Then I soaked for about a half hour in mouth wash. After rinsing it well, it has very little stink. I have used it twice so far. I face lather using VDH Luxury Unscented and it seems to work well, but I still have to get the amount of water right. I have a Semogue 2000 which does a great job face lathering with the same soap. I wonder once I get it figured out how well this will work as a face latherer.
I also have a Kent BLK8 which is very nice and soft on my face and also a vintage Eveready 350, but I prefer stiffer boar brushes to face lather. I suspect the Omega 10019 will work nicely with a soap stick.

Another vote for the 66. Even tho mine is not broken in yet its still a nice brush. Soft tips and great backbone. Whips up lather like its goin out of style too! I can't wait till the ends split a bit more and fully breaks in. For +/- $10 its great... I may order a 49 for a larger brush but I also want a badger so who knows... ugh this hobby is gonna get expensive really quick. I WANT EVERYTHING!! LOL

Wow, I am amazed at the love for the 48, I have absolute hatred for it and would call it the worst brush ever. I have had mine for three weeks and have tried all the methods, soaking it 5 minutes soaking it overnight in lather, multiple times and it is pathetic for lathering.

I have a cheap synthetic from China $10 that runs circles around this brush, before I even had a brush, the whisker one would use for haircuts worked wonders compared to this brush. The 48 is the worst brush I have ever owned followed closely by the 49 but have not given the 49 near as much time. Literately I have gone in on the bed and watched TV while lathering trying every method except attaching it to a power drill and do not think that would help. Seconds later with my synthetic I have more than plenty to shave 5 or 6 passes if I chose. I always use the same soaps for fairness.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=535374&d=1419968560

This was from a lather way back on 12-30-2014, I always get at least this much if not more but the 48 produces nothing compared to this with much more effort going into it.

This brush requires a good 30-45 lather and dry cycles to break in. Figure on about 60 days for it to really show its stuff. Your patience will be rewarded.

I had a 10049, but I didn't like it for face-lathering. I gave it away in a PIF (and I presume the new owner is happy to have it). I replaced it with a 10066 and I'm totally happy that I did so.

The best face latherer from Omega would be the 40033 for me. The 10065/66 is too big for that purpose imo.

It's the same sized knot, set 5mm lower in the 40033 (and in a smaller handle) than in the 10065/66.

$2cents.gif

Last edited:
I have omega 11047 and 11137 and will keep these two.
I just received Simpson colonel X2L and muhle synthetic, but I will trade them.
Regarding 11047, if there is any con, it must be its relatively small size.
You do not need much time to break 11047 in, it becomes very soft (because of badger) and full of backbone (because of boar) after some uses.
Next, regarding 11137, I bought this one because my brother took my Semogue SOC away.
11037 once disappointed me, but now I love it.
11037 takes a little more time to break-in compared with Semogue soc.
(Maybe I did not dry it through between uses.)
But after breaking-in, full of backbone and it's soft enough to act as a face-lather machine.
I think I need to note that Simpson colonel x2L and muhle synthetic are both very quality brushes.
Just individual preferences.
Anyway, I love these two omegas, and my pro 49 is on the way.

I recently purchased the Omega 80080 w/stand and fell in love with it.

The animal smell went away quite fast after 5 days of use and does an excellent job face lathering. I would recommend it.

Any of my Omega's worked fine,even a simple 10065 brush for 4.9 euro is excellent
The Boars from this brand work as they came out of the box,thanks to this brand my Boar collection rise up
If it wasn't Omega i wouldn't love the Boars so much.

I just ordered a 10005 from bullgoose. Supposedly same knot as the 10065/10066 but with a beechwood handle. We'll see how it goes!

Top Bottom