Pre #15 plating options

which plating option would you choose?

• Original Silver

• Bright Nickel

• Rhodium

• Black Rhodium

• Gold

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you haven't heard, I have aquired a pre #15 for the French market razor. It was completely stripped of all plating.

Capt has it now for a little plastic surgery and then it is headed to Chris for a replate.

This razor would have been Silver plated originally but I'm not sure I want to deal with silver and tarnish and such. So if I don't go original then I have other options. So what do you all think.

Original silver?
Bright Nickel?
$aristocrats.jpg

"Rhodium", Black Rhodium or Gold?

I really like the Black....

View attachment 542328

But I'm afraid..

$Simpsons-angry-mob-pitchfork-torches.jpg

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Rhodium if you want something more classic, black rhodium if it blows your skirt up (like you hint it does). If you are getting it replated, well, the whole "original" thing is out the window, so do what you want. You sought out a #15 for far too long, so don't give a dadgum about what anyone else thinks.

The only thing I tend to ward you off of is the bright nickel. There's nothing at all wrong with nickel, but I just don't think it will make you all happy about the razor--that is, unless it's what you want.

Again, you sought out one of these babies for a good, solid year. You finally got one. It needs replating. Ask yourself: what do I want to see every morning? Answer the question and then do that.

Yee-haw!

To make the choice even tougher I'll add that I just had Chris to replate one #21 in bright nickel and I have to say I looks really nice. It's definitely brighter and shinier than the vintage nickel plated razors. I really like the silver look too. Then again, this is very individual choice one have to make. I'll say no more. Instead I'll go back to my popcorn:
:popc:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Who does silver plating for razors?

I agree that silver is soft and remarkably warm, and I don't know that you can beat it. But I do not know who does it, but I knoe some excellent rhodium replaters, whether white or black.

Who does silver plating for razors?

I agree that silver is soft and remarkably warm, and I don't know that you can beat it. But I do not know who does it, but I knoe some excellent rhodium replaters, whether white or black.

Chris at Razorplate.com

FWIW, I've got silver plated razors that weren't polished/cleaned in almost a year (I don't use the nice ones too often - that's why we have not-so-nice back-ups, right?) and they still look great.

Silver does require a bit more maintenance but it's not like you'd need to polish it regularly.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I voted for the original Silverplate, it really isn't that much work unless it has been sitting for 100 years - and even then some baking soda & tinfoil will do the trick. Second choice would be Rhodium

Have you thought about rose gold? I would do that over gold. I think i would go rhodium, black, rose gold, silver, gold then Nickel last.

I would go with original silver. Chris does a nice nickel layer underneath with the silver on top. Beautiful! Here is one I had done with this method.

[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with silver.
You won't wear through it in your lifetime (you do handle your razors with care don't you?), so the extra hardness of rhodium becomes moot.
I like the look of silver more than rhodium, both will shine like anything if you keep them clean, but the whiteness of silver is better (in my opinion).
And unless you live in a geothermally active area with high H2S levels, the tarnish won't be a huge deal - yes you'll need to clean it more often, but it might only be every year or so.

I've seen 15s in both silver and rhodium, and the silver just looks better to me.

I, myself, tend to like razors as original as possible so I vote silver. Rhodium would be a close second. I would find a US Aristocrat if I wanted a gold razor of similar design. That being said, it is your razor. If you like black rhodium, do what you want and enjoy it.

In order to settle this if you go with silver I will PIF you this case to house her in if yours didn't come with one. This is correct case right? Let me know if your willing to do the right thing. :lol: I truly have no use it for it and think it would be great to have it put to good use. That's my rhodium #15 sitting in it but I have the correct case for it as well.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 248
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 247
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 248
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 250
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 249
Here is what you can expect it to look like. Thanks to Mr-Razor.com for the image below.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 247
In order to settle this if you go with silver I will PIF you this case to house her in if yours didn't come with one. This is correct case right? Let me know if your willing to do the right thing. :lol: I truly have no use it for it and think it would be great to have it put to good use. That's my rhodium #15 sitting in it but I have the correct case for it as well.

:a47:

Top Bottom