What's new

Pen Review: Pilot Varsity "The Everyday Fountain Pen"

The Pilot Varsity is my first foray into the world of fountain pens. While at the local grocery store, I went down the aisle for school supplies, and I noticed they had this fountain pen available for a mere $2.48. I figured this was a great price point for dipping my toe into the fountain pen waters. In this review, I’ll comment on the packaging, the look and feel, the nib, my first writing specimen, and overall impression.

The Packaging
Pilot streamlined the packaging on this fountain pen with a simple paper backing and a clear plastic bubble so potential customers can observe the pen. They also clearly indicate the pen is intended to be disposable and maintenance free.
$packaging.jpg

The Look and Feel

Pilot adversities the Varsity as “The Everyday Fountain Pen”. It features a sleek, lightweight design with gray/silver diamonds in a checkered pattern, which give the pen a little character for the relatively low price.

The cap pops off easily, and stays firmly in place when posted. The cap also features a sturdy clip in case you want to put it in a pocket, notebook, etc. Once you uncap the pen, you can see the inkwell to get an idea of how much ink you have left.

$closeup.jpg

The Nib
The Varsity features a genuine stainless steel nib. If you zoom in on the nib pic you will notice an < M >, which I assume is an indication of a medium-sized NIB.

I am curious how the Varsity medium nib compares to other Pilot pens. If this is similar, then I’m thinking I would prefer a fine nib for my next pen if I stay in the Pilot family.
$nib.jpg

My First Writing Specimen

Students of the Palmer Method of Business Writing will likely recognize the ‘First Specimen’ exercise for new students. I used a low-quality, wide-lined composition notebook I found on the bookshelf. I suspect some of the scratchiness I felt when writing was due to the poor quality of the paper. I also noticed a fair amount of bleed through, which I think is a result of the paper I used.

$writingsample.jpg

I also have a small Moleskin ‘Cashier’s Ruled Journal’ (not pictured) that I use to jot notes on, and I found the Varsity wrote a lot smoother on this type of page, although it still had a fair amount of bleed through on the page in comparison to the ballpoint pen I normally use. The bleed through I suspect is a combination of the paper, nib, and ink because the Varsity seemed much bolder/brighter in comparison to the cheap ballpoint pen I normally use.

Overall Impression
At $2.48, I think the Varsity was a good initial adventure into the world of fountain pens for a newbie like me. I clearly don't think it would be worthwhile for experienced fountain pen users, other than a novelty, or perhaps to gift to a young person and/or someone that thinks they might want to try fountain pens out.

As mentioned, I knew Pilot intended the Varsity to be a disposable pen, although I did find some links where people have pulled the nib off, washed it out, and used an eyedropper to refill the pen. I do not plan to go to that trouble, as I will just use the pen until it wears out and switch to a different pen.

I have no other fountain pen point of comparison, but the Varsity was more than adequate for what I’m wanting to do, which is get started with a fountain pen, improve my handwriting, and have fun at the same time!

Nice way to start without dropping a tonne of capital. :thumbup:

Given how you've taken to wet shaving, joining a restraint after a few months, does this mean you'll be joining next years nib restraint. :D

I dug my Varsity out when I saw this review. Mine's much older, looks different than yours (although the cap is the same), and the nib is unmarked as to size. It just says "Pilot." But I'm assuming it's the same size as the one you have there. And the line it puts down is much bolder than a typical Pilot M nib, let me assure you. A Pilot M nib, in steel and 14K gold, is generally akin to a European F nib.

I do wonder what type of ink is in here, though. Maybe it's liquid gel? I haven't used my Varsity in years (I'd say more than 10), and it still writes, so I would guess it has the same sort of ink that cheap Uni rollerballs and stuff like that have, since those write after years of storage as well.

I have three -- two have the stock black ink in them, and the third, older one has been reloaded with a sepia ink. They all write in an identical manner; and I find the nib to write a little broader than my Parker 45 "M" nibs, and a bit wetter. At the moment, I don't carry a pen with me, but when I do, it will probably be one of these critters. At about $3 a pop, a lost pen won't hurt nearly as bad as losing a Waterman would, and for three bucks, I can afford to dump the ink on a new one, flush, and refill with what I want.

Nice way to start without dropping a tonne of capital. :thumbup:

Given how you've taken to wet shaving, joining a restraint after a few months, does this mean you'll be joining next years nib restraint. :D

Thanks!

I'm hopeful I can use my experience from going overboard on wet shaving to limit expenditures on pen stuff - bwahahaha!

If not, I may see if we can start monthly and/or quarterly NIB restraints!

I'm hopeful I can use my experience from going overboard on wet shaving to limit expenditures on pen stuff - bwahahaha!

Well, I just bought a cheap dip pen holder and a nib which writes a line about like the Varsity, but with more shading. At $1-$3 a nib, you can have a lot of different pens without investing a lot of capital. :lol:

I always love the "Genuine Stainless Steel Nib" lol, as opposed to those cheap antarctica knock offs I guess. great review thanks for taking the time, I think you are ready for one of Pilots bigger brothers, you should have a look at the 74 or the 92, or the 91 or the 912.

As said above, they can be refilled.
I personally don't use them with the ink they came with, but its a great choice for an intro.
I use them along with preppies to test out questionable inks, or to fill with my favorites and give to someone interested. They hold a lot of ink lol.

Top Bottom