What's new

A Scritchy Pure with Backbone for Face Lathering ?

Currently using a Plisson Pure that is neither scritchy enough or enough backbone .
Suggestions please for a scritchy pure with backbone for face lathering .

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'd consider a Duke 2 Pure, which responds to all your requirements. It's a legendary Simpson brush and being made in Pure it's also reasonably priced.

I dont' own a "real" Plisson, only the one marketed by L'Occitane, but agree that is not a good brush for a face lather. Does it have to be a badger because I much prefer my couple of boars for that? Semogue and Omega come to mind.

I don't think you would find a scrubbier brush knot than Shavemac D-01 2-Band at a very low loft or a natural horse-hair brush, but if you want a Pure knot, then a low-lofted Simpons Pure might work for you.

I've only used this brush a few times so it's still breaking in .
It's a little scratchy rather than scritchy and while not floppy I prefer more backbone .
And the knot has come out of the acrylic handle !
On the plus side , it produced thick creamy lather with both the cream and soap that I've used .
And very good flow through ...

I just made a 25mm fan set @50mm with a Shavemac pure knot, So far I'm pretty impressed with it. No prickles, no scratchiness pretty much what I was hoping for with enough scritch to satisfy me.

Last edited:
I just made a 25mm fan set @50mm with a Shavemac knot, So far I'm pretty impressed with it. No prickles, no scratchiness pretty much what I was hoping for with enough scritch to satisfy me.

Thanks for sharing ; beautiful brush .
What type hair ?

The Ambroley Best Badger that I got not long ago has the most backbone of any badger brush that I have tried. Boar brushes usually work really well for face lathering, but I actually prefer synthetic over all.

I'd consider a Duke 2 Pure, which responds to all your requirements. It's a legendary Simpson brush and being made in Pure it's also reasonably priced.

I was searching my first badge brush and I face larger too. I will consider your option.., thanks Marco

I soaked the brush for a few minutes in a cup of hot water this morning .
That's SOP for brushes but the transformation on this Plisson Pure was great .
Became both more fluffy and scritchy at the same time !
It's now one of my favorite brushes .

Top Bottom