What's new

How do you know when a blade is done?

I've seen some people do one and done, others 7+ shaves out of a single blade. How do you know when it's time to toss the blade and put in a new one?

I've heard that a dull blade can cause nicks, well, I'm still relatively new, and have yet to get a shave without at least one nick. I'm still too inconsistent to use that as a metric.

I find that it is time to put a new blade in the razor when I feel that the old blade is not cutting efficiently. I just base this on how long it takes to complete a three or four pass shave and how much clean up you need to do on that last pass.

Doug's advice is correct. Because of the different variables of face, beard, razor, blade, prep, and technique, the endurance of the blade will be different for each person for any combination of the above.

I think with time you develop an expectation of how much whisker a pass should cut. If you are seeing significant stubble on a pass that would normally be closer and you are using consistent technique, it's time to put in a fresh blade. You will also probably feel a noticeable tugging sensation (though this may have become second nature to ignore if you have been using carts for a long time ;) ). At least that is the gauge i use.

If it isn't cutting efficiently and/or it begins to hurt when I shave with it. IMO, I think most folks try to shave too long with a blade--I know I do. Razor blades are such a technological achievement, I find it a terrible waste to have to junk a blade at all. I'm still trying to come up with ways to re-purpose old used blades! If I could come up with a good way to reuse my old discarded blades, I think that I would be much more likely to discard them sooner, and not put my face through the ordeal of overusing a blade. As it is, I get about 2-3 shaves from the Persona Lab Blues that I use. Much more than that and my face starts suffering.

Life is short.
When I shaved with carts I would stretch them a week at $3-5 each. Now I go thru 1-3 DE blades a week at $0.15 a blade.

To answer your question... There is a coefficient between a zero use blade requiring no pressure and a used blade requiring more and more pressure. Remember the more pressure the more burn so it's a rule of diminishing returns. For me that's about 2-3 shaves.

Only you can decide what is best for you. It's your shave after all...

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, you already got several good answers above. After a few shaves you'll be able to evaluate by yourself what is the lifespan of your DE blade and when it's the right time to put a new one in. Just be a little bit patient. Of course, my warmest welcome to our great community. :001_smile

Yep. I typically expect 3-4 and toss. Blades are cheap, but your face will tell you when it's time to change.

I find that it is time to put a new blade in the razor when I feel that the old blade is not cutting efficiently. I just base this on how long it takes to complete a three or four pass shave and how much clean up you need to do on that last pass.

Every shave is different enough to make a hard-and-fast rule impossible. I can tell by the end of each shave if I want to re-use the blade next time. I average 3-5 shaves per blade now, which is fine. But if I feel tugging sooner, I'll just bin it; fresh blades are cheap enough to count as an affordable luxury.

The YMMV is the best answer. You'll have to try different numbers of shaves until you find what works best for you. Blades a cheap enough, so find the number of shaves you get before the next shave becomes uncomfortable. I replace my blades after 4 shaves,but find for yourself what works best for you.

A couple indicators...tugging and skipping, stray nicks and weepers, post-shave irritation. I get about 6 shaves out of one blade, so a fresh blade every week for me. Sometimes I stretch it out for another week, but not often. When DE blades cost pennies apiece, there should be no shame in swapping one out a little early if need be.

Three

jk - Replace it after you have a crappy shave. In my case that's usually a combo of a "tuggy" feeling around my jawline, or razor burn from too many passes trying to clean up after ineffective passes. I also found as my technique got better, blades lasted longer.

Leaves more hair in the places that rely on traction, strokes get short and threaten to nick where the bristle stands firm.

Top Bottom