What's new

Gem Clog Pruf: first impression

Had a shave with a Clog Pruf for the first time today. Really nice, shaved just as effectively as the MCOM but gentler on the neck. SE razors are outstanding ATG. Really liked it. Thanks for recommending it guys.

The clog pruf is one of my favorites on days I want a mild, but thorough shave. Gem razors have a pretty wide range of options to tailor the SE to your liking.

P.S. your avatar is freaking mr out! :scared:

If you enjoyed that, possibly the best combination of razor is the late model Treet: the Clog Pruf comb on a 1912 frame. Superb razor, and an improvement I think (albeit largely aesthetic with the 1912 looks) over the Cloggy.

The Clug Pruf was my first SE a very good razor.
$GEM.jpg

If you enjoyed that, possibly the best combination of razor is the late model Treet: the Clog Pruf comb on a 1912 frame. Superb razor, and an improvement I think (albeit largely aesthetic with the 1912 looks) over the Cloggy.

Great. Another addition to my "I gotta have one of these" list. :tongue_sm

Is this another UK only thing like the Ever-Ready 1909?

--Bob

Very nice, it is my third. I have a Gem junior, MMOC and Clog Pruf

Curious, what was your experience comparing the Gem Jr. and the Clog Pruf. I have had several great shaves with the Gem Jr. and two mediocre shaves so far with the Clog Pruf. It seemed to me that using the Gem Jr. felt very natural from the start and that I had to "work" at using the Clog Pruf. I plan go back to the Clog Pruf and give it another go but I am curious to see if anyone else had the same experience.

Great. Another addition to my "I gotta have one of these" list. :tongue_sm

Is this another UK only thing like the Ever-Ready 1909?

--Bob

No, this was all you guys doing!

... a razor designed by Committee. But it worked, so we can forgive them. It was pure marketing - as in, "what do we have", "what can we re-purpose", "what can be put a piece of this with and a piece of that with".

Here's a couple of snaps ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

LR: Treet "1912", GEM Clog Pruf (13 Tooth) & GEM Clog Pruf (17 Tooth)

Last edited:
Curious, what was your experience comparing the Gem Jr. and the Clog Pruf. I have had several great shaves with the Gem Jr. and two mediocre shaves so far with the Clog Pruf. It seemed to me that using the Gem Jr. felt very natural from the start and that I had to "work" at using the Clog Pruf. I plan go back to the Clog Pruf and give it another go but I am curious to see if anyone else had the same experience.

I would rate it:

MMOC
Clog Pruf
Gem junior.

For some reason I got a mediocre shave with it. I went smoothly and found angle, but I needed a 3 pass AND touch ups.

No, this was all you guys doing!

... a razor designed by Committee. But it worked, so we can forgive them. It was pure marketing - as in, "what do we have", "what can we re-purpose", "what can be put a piece of this with and a piece of that with".

Here's a couple of snaps ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

LR: Treet "1912", GEM Clog Pruf (13 Tooth) & GEM Clog Pruf (17 Tooth)

Fascinating - thanks for putting this up.

Even more fascinating - a quick search of the 'bay actually turns one up!

$treet1.JPG

Merry Christmas indeed! :thumbup:

--Bob

Had a shave with a Clog Pruf for the first time today. Really nice, shaved just as effectively as the MCOM but gentler on the neck. SE razors are outstanding ATG. Really liked it. Thanks for recommending it guys.

A lot of guys say the Gem 1912 or MMOC is a good first into to SE saving and I agree but I also think the Clog Pruf and bullet tip should be added to that list. Heck if your not a collector looking for mint NOS examples these razors can all be had in solid user grade for under $10 each...and that there folks is just a gentle prod to get you on your way to a raging case of RAD... :w00t:

A lot of guys say the Gem 1912 or MMOC is a good first into to SE saving and I agree but I also think the Clog Pruf and bullet tip should be added to that list. Heck if your not a collector looking for mint NOS examples these razors can all be had in solid user grade for under $10 each...and that there folks is just a gentle prod to get you on your way to a raging case of RAD... :w00t:

Not sure I'd recommend a MMOC as the first SE. That was my first, and it nearly tore my face off. It can be a pretty aggro razor if the angles are off, and I don't mind an aggressive shave once in a while.

I have a Gem Jr. that works really well; I imagine the 1912 would be similar.

Yes, this is what happened to me. I still haven't had my first shave with my 1912, because I bought it super preemptively. I couldn't help it! They're floating around out there for next to nothing! What was I supposed to do, NOT buy one?

I'm telling myself that the 1912 will be the only SE and that I don't have the will to go through a whole journey with SE like I did with DE, but almost every other popular model (including injectors) is out there in abundance at stupid cheap prices.

This is gonna be trouble, isn't it?

Yes, this is what happened to me. I still haven't had my first shave with my 1912, because I bought it super preemptively. I couldn't help it! They're floating around out there for next to nothing! What was I supposed to do, NOT buy one?

I'm telling myself that the 1912 will be the only SE and that I don't have the will to go through a whole journey with SE like I did with DE, but almost every other popular model (including injectors) is out there in abundance at stupid cheap prices.

This is gonna be trouble, isn't it?

Honestly I like the MMOC more then the 1912, YMMV :p

Top Bottom