What's new

in soviet Russia you shave the blade : (Newbie checking in)

Hi guys,

new to the forum, just wanted to check in. I've started DE shaving in mid-September and it has been a fun and occasionally bumpy journey so far. My starting kit was an EJ DE89, a sample pack of 60 blades and an AoS starter kit I got as a gift. A month or so ago I've picked up a tube of green C O Bigelow shave cream, Omega 48 brush and an alum block. Been jumping a lot between the blades these past three month, but realized this past week that I should probably stick to the same set of variables and work on my technique. This past weekend I've ordered a box of 100 Personna Lab Blues (have never tried them, but sounds like they're close to Aptra SPs and maybe a bit smoother) and planning to sticking to those blades, C O Bigelow cream, Omega brush and the DE89 for a month or so and work on my technique. I did also pick up a jar of ToBS Almond cream, so might change the cream in the lineup for this experiment :)

Practice, practice, practice as they say is the way. After 15 months of always exploring and experimenting, where I learned a little about a lot of different products and techniques, a BBS or even near BBS shave was still hard to get, and not at all certain, and I was still giving myself neck bumps and irritation and nicks too often. I had a vague sense of the differences among several brushes, razors, many soaps and creams, and a bunch of blades, but had mastered none.

My shaving got really consistently good when I travelled for about 6 months and shaved with the same set up every day: the same brush, razor, preshave, soap & cream, alum, and witch hazel. I'd learned enough in the previous year to choose some of the best, most dependable of my stuff, and then had the time to compare each shave with them, day in and day out. The only real variable was working my way through a few boxes of blades, one box at a time, five of the same blades one after the other. I learned a lot about those specific items and the techniques I could use with them, and how slight variations would have clear, significant effects. Now with those items, and even with others, my shaves are much more consistently high quality. I also have more established preferences, and am thinning out the den with a much more informed sense of what works how well with what techniques and why. I can also experiment with and learn the ins and outs of new stuff with a more informed and decided approach, not a this today, and let's see maybe that tomorrow pot-shot approach.

My recommendation: After, a hopefully brief and not too out of control kid in the shaving candy shop phase, consider focusing in on your favorite kit and put everything else out of the way for a while. Deeply focus on exploring those few tools day after day, shave after shave. You'll learn a lot more, shave a lot better, save a lot of money and headaches and will be more grounded in your technique.

Last edited:
Welcome to B & B
As a newbie I'm still jumping about all over the place, trying new things but Generally getting a better shave as the days pass.
I admire your persistence
Gaz

Practice, practice, practice as they say is the way. After 15 months of always exploring and experimenting, where I learned a little about a lot of different products and techniques, a BBS or even near BBS shave was still hard to get, and not at all certain, and I was still giving myself neck bumps and irritation and nicks too often. I had a vague sense of the differences among several brushes, razors, many soaps and creams, and a bunch of blades, but had mastered none.

My shaving got really consistently good when I travelled for about 6 months and shaved with the same set up every day: the same brush, razor, preshave, soap & cream, alum, and witch hazel. I'd learned enough in the previous year to choose some of the best, most dependable of my stuff, and then had the time to compare each shave with them, day in and day out. The only real variable was working my way through a few boxes of blades, one box at a time, five of the same blades one after the other. I learned a lot about those specific items and the techniques I could use with them, and how slight variations would have clear, significant effects. Now with those items, and even with others, my shaves are much more consistently high quality. I also have more established preferences, and am thinning out the den with a much more informed sense of what works how well with what techniques and why. I can also experiment with and learn the ins and outs of new stuff with a more informed and decided approach, not a this today, and let's see maybe that tomorrow pot-shot approach.

My recommendation: After, a hopefully brief and not too out of control kid in the shaving candy shop phase, consider focusing in on your favorite kit and put everything else out of the way for a while. Deeply focus on exploring those few tools day after day, shave after shave. You'll learn a lot more, shave a lot better, save a lot of money and headaches and will be more grounded in your technique.

This is what I've been endeavoring to do - keep it simple and not be switching it up all the time. I have a 100-pack of Astra SS blades, two razors and two soaps i'm trying. Want to stick with these awhile in order to learn the razor and my technique.

Welcome to the forum, we're pleased to have you as a member.
One thought might be to get a razor that's a little less aggressive. The DE 89 is moderately aggressive, and considering you are experiencing irritation and/or razor burn, you may wish to consider something a little less aggressive until your skin becomes accustomed to wet shaving.
I would recommend a Gillette tech or possibly a Gillette slim adjustable. They are readily available on eBay for around $10.00 for the Tech, and $25.00 for the slim adjustable. Both fine razors, that will serve you well for a lifetime and more.
I have many razors, and the EJ DE 89 is one of my favorites, so it is something you will want to keep.

Consider yourself piped aboard the good ship B & B. You may go below decks to the berthing compartment. Pick an empty rack and stow your shave gear for the voyage of a lifetime.

Rick

Welcome to B&B. By all means, try some Lab Blues. I like Astra SP's, Sharks Super Chromes, and even find Derby Extras give 5 good shaves in a vintage Gillette, but Personna Lab Blues are my go-to blade regardless of the razor or lather product. But many think me crazed due to all the Arko Stick fumes I've inhaled.

Top Bottom