What's new

Strop Shoppe scents

I have heard good things about the quality of this soap and was thinking of getting it.

Can people who have used this describe the various scents that they have tried? Which one is your favorite? Also, which scent would you say is the most masculine?

There are a lot of good and likeable scents. I ordered the sampler from maggards.

My favorite by a mile was Russian Tea (light citrus/tea) then Teak Wood, and barbershop.

Go with a sampler. I am not big on the cologne like scents, so many were not my favorite. ymmv

I have the Baker Street and Black tie. Neither one of which I am crazy about. Also after about 4 months or so both scents have become very mild and a greasy oily scent is beginning to predominate. They shave like crazy however.

I am crazy about Black Tie and Baker Street in the Special Edition formula with tallow and have not experienced what sandan has said and I have had my barber shop tub for well over a year, BT and BS about 9 months now. These are elite, best of the best soaps. Shea and cocoa butter with tallow make for a great formula. The density, protection, and hydration window of these soaps are excellent.

Black tie is the most masculine and Baker Street is similar to Black tie with a bit of citrus. Very refined like a much better and higher class drakkar noir realm if that helps at all.

I would also get a tub of the barber shop, something about this formula smells and seems extra buttery and that much better for you skin. Can't go wrong with these soaps but be sure you get the Special Edition tallow versions.

Last edited:
I'm going through the Maggard samples right now.
So far my favorites are Baker Street, Black Tie and Barber Shop. I guess i like the cologne scents.
Not a fan of the citrus or mint scents. I don't pick up citrus in baker street but I do pick up vanilla.

Wish I was as enthusiastic as shavefreak but I am not. My suggestion would be to get a sample if possible from Maggards. That would take care of the scent issue. As far as scent change, you would have to experience that one on your own. No other soaps I have ever had have changed that much in such a short time. All my soaps are stored under ideal cool dry conditions. Love the way they shave however!

Also after about 4 months or so both scents have become very mild and a greasy oily scent is beginning to predominate. They shave like crazy however.

I also have a tub of Stroppe Shop Tallow that's about 4 months old and have not experienced this problem.
Anyone else?

Thanks guys. I am in Canada and ordering from ItalianBarber. I don't think they have samples. I had decided on Catie's Bubbles LPV, but that is out of stock right now so I am looking at Strop Shoppe. Can't decide on the scent. This will be my first soap ever.

This will be my first soap ever.

Oh man, you're starting with a great soap. Be sure to get the SE with tallow. Use plenty of water--they reward you with slickness. And as others have said, the post-shave feel is equal to the best.

I use Barbershoppe, Baker Street, and London Morning, and that's my order of preference for the scents. All the scents are mild and interesting. The Barbershoppe is more of an English barbershop scent, I gather.

I ordered the sample pack from Maggard, so I've had the chance to smell most of their soaps, though I have yet to shave with all of them. I'll try to give you a decent rundown.

Russian Tea- My favorite scent. It smells just tea spices. Cloves, orange, etc. Think of a good bag of tea.

Teak Wood- Out of the jar, it had a rather feminine smell to me. It made me think of the perfume a woman from Indonesia/Thailand/etc. might wear. I shaved with it, and more scents came out when I lathered. There was a smokiness in there that reminded me of a campfire. I loved that vibe, and I was still getting the occasional waft of it after shaving.

Peppermint- Smells like peppermint. Think of candy canes. There isn't much else to say about it.

Rosemary mint- Smells like Vicks Vaporub to me. There is menthol, but I don't notice very much rosemary. I am not a fan of this scent, but I am not a menthol fan in general.

Bay Rum- This is my first bay rum product, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it's a nice scent. It has a good blend of spices that would work well on an older man, but not a younger man.

Barbershoppe- I like this one a lot. I would assume that it's a classic scent, but it seems sporty enough to work on younger and older men alike.

Austin, Baker Street, Black Tie, Date Night, London Morning- I'll have to comment another time. I don't have any comments from memory.

Oh man, you're starting with a great soap. Be sure to get the SE with tallow. Use plenty of water--they reward you with slickness. And as others have said, the post-shave feel is equal to the best.

Thanks! I am very excited.

Black tie is the most masculine and Baker Street is similar to Black tie with a bit of citrus. Very refined like a much better and higher class drakkar noir realm if that helps at all.

Thanks. I am trying to decide between Baker Street, Black Tie, and London Morning. Leaning towards Baker Street though.

barbershop is very good.. classic clean scent not an overkill.. would love to find tallow base very close to mama bear classic barbershop that really reminds of my uncle and grandpa use. I cant use mama bear due to glycer base soap its don't agreed with my skin.

Top Bottom