What's new

Kaweco sport vs TWSBI mini

I have been using a Lamy Al-Star for several years. I am looking to buy another pen. I want to use the pen as I travel and to keep with me when I am out and about. I want a pen that is on the smaller size. I think it would fit better in my pocket or briefcase. I have found two pens that interest me, the Kaweco sport (or AL) and the TWSBI mini. As I read the reviews I started getting a little confused on a few things and wanted to ask a few questions

1) Cartridge vs converter- My Lamy uses cartidges. Are there pros and cons in regard to leakage, travel on planes, amount of ink, etc?
2) Is one of the pens more durable? I travel and lot and would want to use this pen as I am out and about.
3) Is there anything else that I should consider about either?

Thanks

Cartridges are convenient, but self fillers usually have a larger capacity.
In theory, cartridges provide a better insulation, but in practice I never noticed a difference.
Piston fillers can leak over time, though I also have piston fillers from the fifties that are still airtight.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Kaweco is a cartridge pen, and I am uncertain if there is a converter for it at all. (Generally, it's assumed that there is none, but IIRC I recently saw a tiny Kaweco Sport converter.

Kaweco can be eyedropped very easily, which will greatly increase the capacity. I do this often. (This cannot be done with the "Al" version, made out of aluminium.

Kaweco Sport is very durable. The TWSBI is renowned for it's cracking issues (which some will tell you have probably been resolved, but still ...)

My black Kaweco Sport Classic, fine nib, is the best pen I own. The nib is the smoothest I've used, and that includes some pens costing ten or twenty times as much. I think it was partially luck of the draw that I received such a winner. I use the pen heavily, as I edit books, pen-on-paper.

I only use one ink, which is easier than if I switched between different inks. I think there is a low-capacity converter, but I use international cartridges, which I refill with a syringe from Goulet Pens. (no affil.) This works perfectly at home, and I can easily carry a few carts with me when I'm out and about.

If you're looking for durability, I'd stick with the Kaweco. I think the Nibs are better too, but that's just my opinion.

My black Kaweco Sport Classic, fine nib, is the best pen I own. The nib is the smoothest I've used....I think it was partially luck of the draw that I received such a winner.
I too own a Kaweco Sport with fine nib. I concur with Vespasian's take on the nib, although mine needed a minor adjustment out of the box. I also owned a TWSBI 540 a couple of years ago...I sold it because it didn't write very well (too dry for my taste).

Also, the TWSBI I had cracked. No such problem with the Kaweco.

There is definitely a small, squeeze bladder converter available for the Kaweco sport. I have one and it works just fine, although the capacity is probably not more than the cartridge. I have a fine nib now, and it is a beautiful, smooth writer. I originally bought one with a medium nib, and it was a dry writer with intermittent flow that I just could not fix. I replaced it with the current fine nib version, which is now a favorite. Might say something about quality control or a difference between the fine and medium nibs.

It has been my choice for a while now for airplane travel. Just took mine to Texas last week (from Boston) and used it to mark up edits during all phases of the flight with no leakage issues.

What is the consensus on TWSBIs? I had the Classic and Vac700 on my wish list, but I'm seeing some red flags here.

What is the consensus on TWSBIs? I had the Classic and Vac700 on my wish list, but I'm seeing some red flags here.

Overall TWSBI are great pens, but some of them do have issues with the parts cracking. That being said, TWSBI customer service is fantastic :thumbsup:

I can't comment on either pen because I don't own either one. However, I've been very impressed with my Stipula Bon Voyage! Exceedingly smooth, huge ink capacity (as an eye-dropper), and in the mini category. I did drop my first one with unsatisfactory results, but still carry it frequently. It is my jeans pocket pen.

I have a few Kawecos and they're really great little pens. Don't bother with the converter. I have them and they have a miserable capacity that is less than the cartridges. If you want true durability, it may be worth paying the extra for the AL model, though I gotta say that the plastic ones I have have taken a beating floating around in my pockets and knocking around with my keys. I don't have any experience with TWSBI, so I can't offer a true comparison. I've head of the cracking issues and some people who don't like the nibs. I've also heard that the M and B nibs on Kaweco can be more temperamental than the F and EF nibs. That being said, I have a B, M, and F nib and they've all written every time without any skipping or feed issues. They're great, portable, durable little pens that post up to a nice size and write quite well.

Thanks for all of your feedback. The fact that everyone learned toward the Kaweco made my choice easy. I just ordered the AL sport from Goulet pens.

Thanks for all of your feedback. The fact that everyone learned toward the Kaweco made my choice easy. I just ordered the AL sport from Goulet pens.
I know when I first saw mine I thought it may be to small for me, but when posted (which is how it is meant to be used) it is a wonderful size in hand. Enjoy your pen:thumbup:

I have a TWSBI mini I bought in October. It leaks around the feed and twice TWSBI has sent me a replacement part that has fixed the problem. It is not worth the trouble however and I would recommend something else.

I also travel quite frequently and I have both pens, the Kaweco is the one I use most as I prefer cartridges, small standard which are easy to find in local shops, thanks to the simplicity when passing through all security checks. The Kaweco converter isn't much to write home about as it has too small capacity, better to go with the cartridges. Enjoy your new pen!

Top Bottom