What's new

Memory lane

Hey all,

I've only been wetshaving for about a year now. However, I decided to post a challenge to you all (as I did the same tonight). Attempt to assemble your very first kit and shave with what you have. I will post my original kit below, post with what I shaved with, and the results from my shave tonight. I feel this will help some of the newcomers as well as it will show some examples of starter kits that they can buy with real life reviews.

Original kit:
Merkur 33c
Red I.P
Omega boar
C.O Bigelow
AV Ice Blue

Tonights kit:
Sabi T1 (Merkur 33c was given to a friend)
Red I.P
Vintage Blades Silvertip Badger
C.O Bigelow
AV Ice Blue

Shave:
Excellent. I certainly picked the right software to start my journey with and they will be in my den forever. Although I typically use soaps, C.O Bigelow provided a great shave. The Red I.P was a great blade for my aggressive T1. Came away with a perfectly lined chinstrap, BBS cheeks (3 pass), and a DFS (2 pass) on my neck.

Okay, now it's your turn guys! I'm excited to see all of your results! [emoji106] [emoji106]

That is easy because it is still in my line up to this day, for once I did things right the first time.

razor :195 Gillette fatboy
soap :palmolive stick
Custom Badger brush
Persona PX brand razor blades.

I can remember it but I wouldn't thank you for repeating it - all of the components are long gone.

Merkur 34c HD, Derby Extra
Edwin Jagger Black Badger
Taylor's Sandalwood cream
Bluebeard's Revenge balm

It'd be a perfectly good shave, I'm sure, but I'm far happier with what I'm now working with!

Old fat handled Tech. I PIF'd it.
No name boar brush, PIF'd.
Gillette Green Super Stainless.
Palmolive cream, old stock American in white plastic tube. Nothing but a memory now.

Had to think about this one. Not because I've been DE shaving for a long time but because I changed set-up soon after I started.

Gillette Knack (my father in-law's)
Dollar store blades (my father in-law's)
Crew Gel
Aveeno Lotion for AS

A few days later got some CO Bigelow, $5 Marvy Boar Brush and Derby blades from Sally's, AV and Neutrogena ASB.

Now a few months later I have 3 DE razors, 5 brushes (3 of those are Simpsons); I tossed out the Marvy. A variety of razors, soaps, creams, and aftershaves, Alum Bar and WH.

The shave with may original set-up was not good. I had a lot of irritation, the gel didn't provide any protection. The Knack was too mild so it cause me (as a newbie) to use excessive pressure. The Aveeno lotion was too thick. I've gone back to the Knack a few times and find it a mild shaver, but I hardly use it any more. I would not recommend the dollar store blades, crew gel, or body lotion for AS.

Last edited:
red tip super speed
persona ss
williams mug soap
pure badger no name brush
best shave of my life.quit carts and have not looked back.been doing de for 20+ years/
still use these from time to time.i have many other vintage razors and restored brushes,but this is still a good setup.

My starter kit I think was...
Gillette Rocket, Gillette sword blades, Proraso Green, Omega 10005, and some Williams that I wasted most of. Some days I would apply the 'awful canned' Nivea gels with my brush. Later I went with Body Shop Macca Root cream and balm, and their brush that quickly had me restep to the Omega.

It was just about 60 years ago so my memory isn't that sharp but:

Schick Injector, model unknown;
Tube of some brushless goop, guessing Barbasol;
No clue on the aftershave but Lilac was popular for teens then.

Well...pre-history kit.
(20+ odd years ago)
Gillette Sensor
Williams soap in a coffee mug
No-name CVS Pure Badger brush.

DE starter kit...(year or so ago)
Merkur 38C
Feather blades.
Proraso Green cream in the tube.
No-name CVS Pure Badger Brush

Today's Shave.
Merkur 38C
Feathers
Proraso Green
Semouge 1305
Floid Vigoroso

A damn fine shave.

Thirty something years ago my first save was with some Gillette my grandfather gave me. Can't recall the blade and some canned goop.

My starter kit this year was an EJ 89, Derby blade, MWF and Semogue 1305.

My shave today: MWF (I just love it) 1305 knot set at a lower loft in an Ever Ready 200M handle. The 89 and Derby's were pif'd as I found them too mild for my taste. Astra SP's are my blade of choice. My frankenrazor consisted of a Weber Classic handle, Sabi/Mariner base plate and the top cap from my R41. You REALLY feel the blade. Third day with the Astra, 1 pass atg DFS.

Top Bottom