What's new

Wet shaving is burning a hole in my pocket!

Familiar theme-I may have to join the restraint list as well. The good news is that this keeps me away from far more expensive collecting.

The first 6 months can be rough, you just want to buy everything in sight. Then you realize that you may be running out of storage room and slow down on purchases, lol.

I have yet to delve into buying anything truly expensive IMO which would be somewhere along the lines of over $60 dollars. the most expensive product/products I ever bought at one time that cost me any higher were the AOS products.. everything else I purchased one at a time, over a span of 9 months. My collection is still weak in the sense that its not truly large or diverse, but I am glad I am being smart financially with this new "lifestyle" if you will. Grow it over time, do not just start dropping heaps of money on it.

The various AD's tend to moderate after 6-9 months. Just enjoy the ride and welcome to DE shaving.

I can attest to this ^

I am 7 months in and have only bought a handful of razors in the past few months. I was buying 1-3 a week initially. I have almost every model I want now in decent shape w/ cases. It cost some bucks but now I have a nice display case and some cool implements to rotate through.

Be of good courage. There will come a day when you have the razors you use the most with your favorite brush, and soap. You will be satisfied. BTW, can any one tell me where to get that really cool acrylic brush handle I saw here the other day :w00t:

Four months in to my wet shaving journey and I have over 80 vintage razors and I've just discovered the world of brushes , soaps and stainless steel razors .Haven't purchased anything since Dec 10. Have shaved with about 20 different vintage razors ,think I'll hold off on buying more vintage until I've tried at least 50 of the ones I have .Already dreaming of duplicates, replating and display cases .Hope it is true that the first 6 months are the hardest

AHHHH the love of it all, I once had a little shelf that all my shaving gear once fit on, then came a cabinet, next a closet?

All my razors and brushes together would fit in a sandwich bag with room left over! I have a daily razor that works quite well and a second razor at the farmhouse that works equally well. I have a brush in both locations along with a cake of soap, a mug and some after shave, what more could I possibly need?

Some of us use a brush, soap and DE razor for the inexpensive good shave while others can't resist becoming collectors. I'm glad there are so many collectors, keeps my meager supplies cheap.

AHHHH the love of it all, I once had a little shelf that all my shaving gear once fit on, then came a cabinet, next a closet?

Soon we'll be putting a new addition on the house.

Honestly, I consider it a good thing that I live in a small house, with a small bathroom, and three non-shavers to share with. And no money to add a new wing.

When I win the lottery it will be a whole different story.

I realise now that I am not alone!
To be honest with you I agree to the point that, there are a lot of hobbies which can be much more expensive than wet shaving. The best part of wet shaving is you don't really find time for your hobby, its part of your daily routine.
No matter how bigger the hole in my pocket is, most importantly; its making me happy! Interestingly my wife is also happy; as she tells me after I have started this hobby I am in a better mode than before! And thats priceless.

The first 6 months can be rough, you just want to buy everything in sight. Then you realize that you may be running out of storage room and slow down on purchases, lol.

Sounds about right. Been DE shaving now for a few months and already need to take part in the 2015 restraint to make room for more of the products I have taken a shine to. I'm just blessed that my lovely wife lets me have a corner of the bath to enjoy my hobby.

I know exactly what you mean.

When I ordered my Merkur 34C off of Amazon I was so excited to try DE shaving that I ended up buying the Van Der Hagen DE razor and some Wilkinson Sword blades beforehand at Bed, Bath & Beyond. My Merkur was already on its way but I couldn't wait!

Yesterday I was at the grocery store and they had Barbasol on sale for $1/can. So of course I picked up two cans of the Aloe version. I mean, why not?! I also noticed they had Old Spice Classic aftershave (which I hadn't tried before, despite it not being the original scent, etc.)... you can see where I'm going with this.

I'm NOT buying anymore blades though. I bought a 100ct. box of Personna blue's with the Merkur 34C. Then I bought a 100ct. box of Astra SP's when I ordered my Edwin Jagger Kelvin. And yesterday I received my 50ct. of Feather blades. Pretty sure I'm set for at least a year in that department.:biggrin1:

You could always lose your job and become homeless. That's the boat I'm in right now. The only good thing about it is that thanks to a couple of PIFs, my outlay for shaving stuff so far (started 5/4/14) has come to $1.38 for a can of Barbasol. I'm still getting better shaves than I ever did with electrics or carts, even though I've yet to try any real shaving soap or a brush. One day I hope to enjoy a shave with a nice vintage Gillette, a nice Semogue or Kent brush and some Tabac, but until then, I will make do with what I have and I'll enjoy every shave.

You could always lose your job and become homeless. That's the boat I'm in right now. The only good thing about it is that thanks to a couple of PIFs, my outlay for shaving stuff so far (started 5/4/14) has come to $1.38 for a can of Barbasol. I'm still getting better shaves than I ever did with electrics or carts, even though I've yet to try any real shaving soap or a brush. One day I hope to enjoy a shave with a nice vintage Gillette, a nice Semogue or Kent brush and some Tabac, but until then, I will make do with what I have and I'll enjoy every shave.

Barbasol???

I have some extra soap. PM me your address.

Also pm me your current setup.

Top Bottom