What's new

My opinion regarding artisan signature soaps

Can someone please explain to me this recent insistence by artisans to create signature soaps? What I think was a nice gesture at first by Joe from RazoRock, has recently turned into an obnoxious trend. I think it is unfair to a majority of the customers who spend 100's of dollars with these vendors, and receive little or no recognition. I work hard for my money, and put a lot more effort into my job than the amount of time it takes to record a 5-minute YouTube video, that's for sure. I think these signature soaps emphasize and encourage shilling within the community, something we can all agree is not helpful. I am of the school of thought that a good product ought to speak for itself. It's one thing to post a written or video review, and the entire community appreciates them as somewhat of a guiding light. But if you think I'm buying your soap because of the guy that you put on the label, think again. Especially when it’s someone who has pointed a loaded gun at the video camera. These are the guys you want representing your brand? I really think this trend should end as soon as possible. It would be much appreciated.

P.S. I mean absolutely no offense to any YouTube reviewers, vendors, or artisans. This is just a point of view, and is certainly up for discussion.

Vote with your pocket book

Buy what you enjoy using and what performs the best for you, artisan or soap factory product.

Bottom line. What works, works. What is advertising/promotion is just that.

The whole signature soap thing. Is there a new product I missed, or it about things like the RazoRock brand in general?

Oh ok, gotcha. Since late May/early June I have counted 8 different soaps from 4 different artisans crop up. All of them were named after recognized wet shaving YouTube personalities.

I get it and although I enjoy watching the videos put out by some of the guys who have a soap named after them, I have not and am sure will not buy any of them. I think it's a nice gesture and that's about it where I'm concerned.

I agree with Turtle, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Products have been named after people since there were such things as products. Ford, Chevrolet, Westinghouse...the list is enormous. Plus beyond just the names of products think of all the celebrity endorsements that companies employ...why? Because it works. They're in business to make money, and if tagging their product with some sort of unique identifier. They're not in business to be some pillar of purity. They make and sell products and the more they sell, the easier it is to keep the lights on.

I know exactly what you're talking about and it has begun to make me think twice about who I order from as well. I follow many YouTube reviewers and enjoy the videos, but I agree that it's getting a little out of hand these days. This is by no means in disrespect to any "wet tubers," just a little discomfort with particular business practices. I like Maggard Razors, B&M, Stirling, and QCS more and more everyday.

Last edited:
I only buy from 3 or so different artisans Stirling, Mama Bear, B&M and have not noticed this, I get what you mean now though.

I am completely unclear as to what the complaint is....

+1

I guess you you don't like social media/product tie ins? I dunno. :Shrug:

The self referential hall-of-mirrors thing of social media is the fun part. Otherwise we should all just go back to mail order.

You know that classic wetshaving has hit the big time when so-called "celebrities" begin endorsing product. Sheesh.

Coming soon to an online retailer near you... Mr. Scruffy's Soap Flakes!!

Wow I must have been living under a rock! I certainly don't get to peruse the forums as much as I used to these days but I can't believe I missed this whole trend. I'm so curious now what YouTube reviewers have had shaving soaps named after them. Can someone post the names or PM me so I can check them out. Hilarious!

Yes these are the types of products I was referring to.

I was trying not to mention any artisan or vendor in particular, because my problem is with a practice, and not an individual.

Oh ok, gotcha. Since late May/early June I have counted 8 different soaps from 4 different artisans crop up. All of them were named after recognized wet shaving YouTube personalities.

Thanks, I'm up to speed now :)

Not interested in buying them either.

Top Bottom