What's new

1964 Super Speed

Scored a beauty at an antique store. I was never really a fan of the 60s Super speeds but it was only.$5. Had one before that rattled quite a bit. This one seems tight.

Please suggest a blade for me for the maiden voyage tomorrow. I have GSB, Gillette Platinum, vintage Schick platinum, Astra, Red IP, Derby, Gillette Black, and yellow.

Thanks!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
If you have Astra SP blades, they should be good. I've heard good things about Gillette Blacks but haven't tried them yet. Today I shaved with a new Feather in my newly acquired 1956 SS flare tip and the shave was great; near BBS and no nicks or irritation.

I have a 1960 super speed that I love. I'm fairly new at DE shaving but so far I like the Astra platinum blades the best in it.

proxy.php

Here it is...

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1418535488871.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1418535488871.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 112
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1418535525939.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1418535525939.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 113
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1418535561521.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1418535561521.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 113
I used a superspeed flare exclusively for a two week business trip because I did not want my Aristocrat to turn up missing. I used the Astra blade and had to fine tune my touch to prevent irritation. I find I like blue birds in it more than the Astra sp blades. just ordered more blue birds but the price has gone way up on those. Spent almost as much for 25 blue birds as 100 Astra sp blades.

Good shaving razor, enjoy it.

All I can say is WOW!!! In my 10 years of wet shaving, this was my all time BEST shave experience. Here's my conundrum...why such a great shave?

I love my 40's, 50's, and NDC super speeds, Rocket, Milord, Ranger Tech, Red Tip, Black Tip. Was never a fan of the flair tip until now. Since I was late getting up and needed to mow down 3 days worth for church, I did not revisit this tread for blade suggestions..I grabbed a 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum. This is a blade that I had not used for months, maybe over a year. Tried it, thought it "meh", and ignored.

Ok...now the other variable...my new E-Bay shnagged AOS Sandalwood Soap. My first run with this new acquisition. After applying Proraso Pre, whipped up what I would call a thirsty batch and applied. I had to add water quite a few times during the 3 passes.

I face lathered and went to work. Again....HOLY CRAP!!! Mowed down 3 days of significant growth in the first pass. Could have strolled into church with the one pass, but pushed further. XTG and ATG were as smooth as the first. I'm usually good for a sore neck with ATG and a few nicks. Came out with one small nick under my nose.

I applied alum with next to no reaction, splashed some CC Sandalwood AS.

So...what was it? The Super Speed, the blade, the soap? No matter...my opinion of 60's Super Speeds has taken a 180 and I can certainly say today was THE BEST SHAVE of my life so far.

I have a '67 M2 (birth quarter) razor I love. My favorite razor right now is the '41 Ranger Tech, but the '67 is a great shaver and I find I get almost no irritation with it.

Top Bottom