What's new

I want to buy my first handgun - What brands are good and which to avoid

I have a couple of shotguns but have never even fired a handgun.

Needless to say, I am a true beginner. I was hoping to get input on who makes quality handguns.

I will be going to the local gun shop which has a range to test things out. I want to shoot before I make any decisions as to whether to buy a revolver or a pistol. The same holds true for which caliber.

I would like to compile a list of quality gun manufacturers. I will be spending around $500.

The only brands of handguns I am aware of are Beretta, Ruger, S&W and Sig

Take care,
Jason

Glock... All done
; )

Stay away from diamondback, Jennings, and others that escape me for now. hi point guns are cheap, and supposedly very reliable, but I'm a bit too snobby to consider them.... They are uuuuugggggly too.

You and posters 2 and 3 pretty much covered the waterfront on top quality guns. I have a Rock Island Colt .45 clone that works pretty well, also.

You just can't go wrong with a Glock, S&W, Browning, Ruger, Sig, or Colt. Other brands worth considering but not top of the line are Kel-Tec, Auto-Ordinance, Remington, SCCY, EEA, etc. But you should try to go someplace that lets you shoot a variety of guns, or go with a friend or neighbor who has some pistols and try out different types and see which ones your most comfortable with.

Some people are more comfortable with a revolver, some with a auto loader, and some like larger guns, while others want a smaller pistol.
If you have no experience with pistols I would recommend either a revolver, or a Double action only auto loader like the Glock.
These types are very safe and work exactly the same way for every shot. And don't buy a huge caliber super magnum anything unless it's a revolver in .357 which can also fire .38spl.

If if you chose a Glock go with a 9mm or .40 S&W. Unless your hand is really small and you need something like the Glock .380.

Try some out before you buy just so you can make a better decision.

Glock... All done
; )

Stay away from diamondback, Jennings, and others that escape me for now. hi point guns are cheap, and supposedly very reliable, but I'm a bit too snobby to consider them.... They are uuuuugggggly too.

Taurus and SCCY are 2nd and 3rd tier manufacturers.

Stick with 1st tier mfrs. like Glock, Ruger, SigSauer, Smith & Wesson, Beretta, Springfield Armory, and CZ.

Last edited:
I suggest Glock 19,my favorite gun.

The G19 is an excellent package of reliability, capacity, size and ammo availability/cost. Many shooters consider it to be the best Glock offering.

Another advantage of Glock pistols is that while they are one of the most reliable and durable handguns made, they are also one of the easiest to work on. Reliability issues (rare) are easy to diagnose and the pistol is even easier to work on (you don't have to be a gunsmith...the only tool needed is a Glock armorer's punch).

I will add to the G19 discussion, yes it is a great gun, shoots really well. The Smith & Wesson counterpart being the M&P 9 Full Size, I have this one and its a great shooter, also very easy to work on, though not quite as easy as the G19. Don't shy away from the S&W older "3rd gen" autos they are fantastic guns that are also wonderful shooters, they are all metal guns if that is your thing. 3913, 3914, 3953, 6903 etc.

Take all this with a grain of salt as we still aren't sure what your intended purpose is and if you are more interested in autos or revolvers.

I'll chime in as well. If u go 9mm I'd recommend the Springfield xdm. While the glock 19 is a great gun (I do own one so this isn't speculation) the xdm is superior in my opinion. The price is I believe 100 higher than the glock but it has been my fav out of the box 9mm I have owned. Again I'm not knocking the glock as its a wonderful gun the Springfield just really impressed me. Also look into sig sauer. Wonderful guns as well.

I will change it up a bit, but since this is your first handgun, you should be practicing accuracy more than anything else. A .22 is a great way to get into handguns provided that you can find the ammo. If ammo is a concern or if you want a gun that can do more things, I would recommend a 9mm. 9mm is noticeably cheaper than 40 or 45 so you will be able to shoot more for less.

As for brands, it's getting hard to pick a bad brand now days. Just stay away from Hi-point and S&W sigma series. I really prefer M&P's over glocks, but try them for yourself. Try to keep enough budget for ammo and a good handgun class. There really is a lot to shooting a handgun and it helps to be taught right from the beginning so you don't form bad habits.

Finally, a tip that really helps new handgun shooters is to double up on ear protection (wear muffs over ear plugs). Flinching is really easy to do with handguns without noticing that you're doing it. Double ear protection really helps to focus a shooter on the mechanics of accurate shooting.

1) Get out and shoot as many guns as possible. Find a range that rents and go to town.

2) Stick with the bigger name-brands and you'll be fine. Glock, Ruger, S&W, Sig, H&K, CZ, Springfield, Colt, Kahr ... all okay. Each brand may have their quirks and each brand produces a turd now and then, but largely, you'll get a winner.

3) Even though Taurus is a bigger name-brand, I avoid them based on their reputation alone. YMMV. Their price-point is attractive and they are capable of producing a solid gun, just too many horror stories out there.

4) Shop around. There are a number of on-line retailers that have good reputations and good prices. Don't be afraid to find a FFL in your area and have a gun shipped to them. It's a simple process really. Avoid places like Gander Mountain or Cabelas unless you really enjoy paying more than you should.

5) Get out and shoot. Nothing wrong with taking a couple lessons either.

6) Say goodbye to your savings account. Like shaving, shooting can be an expensive hobby. But very fun.

7) Be safe.

The web is loaded with gun tests and reviews. Just research anything you are thinking of, then rent/test it before buying.

My first HG was a Glock G22 and don't regret it one bit. Key is to try out a lot. Some don't feel as good as others in your hand. Couple benefits to my Glock G22:

1) Great gun
2) Tons of parts and upgrades availability
3) Can convert to a 9mm for under $200. Just need a conversion barrel and mags.

This is all great info. I'm also getting ready to purchase my first handgun. I've taken a safety and training course and am learning all I can before purchasing. As everyone has said, try as many as you can before buying, they all feel a little different in your hand.

Thanks everyone.

I can't believe I didn't think of Glock.

I was raised just shooting shotguns and my grandfather was a Remington man. In retrospect, I don't think I have fired any other manufacturer other than Remington.

Thanks again,
Jason

For the budget-minded a great medium-full size pistol is the fairly new Ruger 9E. This is an economy version of the SR9:

Oxide finish vs. Nitride (melonite)
A bit less rounding off of slide edges and fewer slide serrations
1 magazine vs. 2 (more mags are easy to find)
cardboard box vs. plastic case
No annoying loaded chamber indicator
No magazine disconnect safety

This is a very nice pistol with a really decent trigger. Fits great in the hand and points very well. I've seen them priced as low as $325

Top Bottom