What's new

Pall Mall Shaving

I'm very fortunate to have received a lovely Wilkinson Pall Mall 7-Day Set from my good shaving friend Paul.

I am a great fan of the Empire which appeared around 1930, and the Pall Mall is its direct (and much fiercer) predecessor.
Stropper.com put my Pall Mall around 1926.

Six of the blades have survived, and I was very pleased to find that Monday's blade was shaving arm hair straight out of the beautiful oak box!
So I touched it up on slate and cromox before stropping on a Wilkinson strop pasted with feox.

The set comes with a stropping attachment which screws into the razor handle and this is extremely useful for honing the OEM blades as well as other wedge blades.
It also comes with an automatic stropper for the Wilkinson hanging leather strop and the two different attachments make the blades relatively easy to maintain.

The razor is adjustable by a small screw on the head which varies the blade gap above the Archimedes screw guard, an excellent feature which was retained on the Empire. The rolling guard moves lather away as it rotates across the skin making for a very smooth shave.
The angle of the head against the handle can also be adjusted as the head pivots.

So I set the Pall Mall to near maximum blade gap, found a suitable angle for the head and started shaving.
The feel of the razor was somewhere between the smoothness of the Empire and the aggressive blade feel of the Rolls and I got a great shave which left my skin feeling fantastic and gave a very smart DFS finish.

I find that the wedge blade safety razors like the Empire, Rolls and early lather catchers really do give the most amazing shaves with their OEM blades that combine great comfort with extreme smartness and a whole a lot of fun!

Of course the big issue is blade maintenance which is more work for these razors than it is for a str8, but the reward is an incredible shave which can't be had any other way.

And these blades settle in with subsequent use, so I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Pall Mall shave which should be even smoother and closer than today's :)

Pictures to follow of course...

Thanks for the fine review, MJ. I have always been intrigued by these razors, but didn't know much about them. Looking forward to the pics.

Here's the set which is missing Saturday's blade (though a "Feather" has been thoughtfully substituted!)
proxy.php

Stropping attachment:
proxy.php

Automatic stropper in action:
proxy.php

Monday's blade - interestingly these are bigger blades than the ones for the Empire:
proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful review Marcus. It's great to be able to shave with these old elegant works of art. Thumbs up to Paul for sure!

I have looked at several for sale, but I don't have the hones to sharpen.
You could always do what some of the Rolls users do, and send out the blades for honing.

I'm more than happy to hone fellow members' blades - especially now that I've got that stropping handle.

Once they've been honed, those blades go a long long way just using a pasted strop.

That's a very nice offer. I have several Wilkinson Sword Empire Blades that need help. Shoot me a PM and let me know what your address is.

This morning with my PALL MALL. I thought I would post my morning shave here to give this thread a bump in hopes some who didn't see it and also have gained a interest in these lovely razors can enjoy the read.

The PALL MALL performed like a champ this morning providing a close comfortable shave.

Let me see those PALL MALL's
image.jpeg

This morning with my PALL MALL. I thought I would post my morning shave here to give this thread a bump in hopes some who didn't see it and also have gained a interest in these lovely razors can enjoy the read.

The PALL MALL performed like a champ this morning providing a close comfortable shave.

View attachment 789732
Oh my

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

View attachment 789732

I have a 3 day oak cased set on the way from GB. The razor looks like yours. I also have a 7 day set with the earlier razor with the black beads appearing handle. Tried installing a Gem blade in the beaded handle one but the blade stops look to be too far apart for secure blade holding. Trying it with the Gem blade scares me. Need to learn to hone and strop the wedge blades. I have read somewhere that the later razors like yours have a narrower gap between the blade stops and can accommodate Gem blades safely. I will check it out when the new one arrives.

I have a 3 day oak cased set on the way from GB. The razor looks like yours. I also have a 7 day set with the earlier razor with the black beads appearing handle. Tried installing a Gem blade in the beaded handle one but the blade stops look to be too far apart for secure blade holding. Trying it with the Gem blade scares me. Need to learn to hone and strop the wedge blades. I have read somewhere that the later razors like yours have a narrower gap between the blade stops and can accommodate Gem blades safely. I will check it out when the new one arrives.
The earlier ones don't have an adjustable guard it just has a straight roller bar. When they added the adjustable roller guard they widened the stops by about 1/8 inch which makes it to wide for the Gem blades.

Rwoodreno, the model I have won't accept a Gem blade, I gave the seven day set and four of the blades have been honed and provide a CCS.

Top Bottom