What's new

Brush I cannot go wrong with?

For soaps, you'll need some backbone. Semogue SOC is a large versatile boar brush at $30. Simpson Duke 3 Best is a 24 mm at $120. Thater 4125/2 2 band 26 mm bulb at $165. Good luck. We all start with one brush! A Simpson or Thater PLUS a good boar will allow you to properly dry brushes between shaves. For $10, I recommend a stand for your badger brush.

Semogue 620. For me, perfect blend of softness and backbone. Works great for lathering in a bowl or on my ugly face. Great price as well.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]These are very nice brush's for thirty bucks. Maybe as close as your nearest mall store.
[/FONT]http://usa.loccitane.com/cade-shaving-brush-plisson,82,1,29221,388683.htm

Lots of good options given in this thread. I'll add that if you prefer a smaller brush, the Fine brush is 20mm and has gotten good reviews for $30-50 (depending on knot type)

The smallest knot in the VintageBlades house brand Badger. If you want to stay with Boar, the Semogue 610. Your face won't feel it's on a budget and the quality will take away the urgency to begin brush collecting.

OP here. Thanks to all for all of the advice I received over the past two days. I've a lot of thinking to do, I'm inclined to go cheaper (<$50) and do a lot more research... which is always fun.

+1
Something from the pro series.

This is a great question, and something I'm struggling with. The current boar brush seems fine, but I don't have any frame of reference within which to judge it. Kinda like drinking $2 wine, it hits the spot but when you step up some to $7 to 10 it gets to be much more enjoyable and still hits the spot! :)

Top Bottom