What's new

Hello and Tips Please!

Newb just saying hello from Cleveland Ohio. I also wanted to share some of my journey and hopefully I get some tips

So, about 2 1/2 months ago I was seeking a better way to shave cuz my wife was sick of my beard. I used to work for Nestlé and the department I worked in I had to shave regularly because we had to wear respirators daily. During that 8 month period of me working there and having to shave daily, I dealt with very bad itching, irritation, razor bumps and burn. Needless to say I hated shaving and thought it wasn't for me, so when my wife recommend that I try again I was very hesitant at first until she found an article on how to get a better shave. The article talked about the importance of a good prep, getting a brush to apply cream instead of your fingers and getting good moisture after your shave but it never mentioned shaving with a DE Razor. I ended up trying these steps but I used a mach 3(bad!!) As my razor. I noticed immediately a calmer shave then I remembered from before because of the new steps i discovered and after my shave I had very minimal irritation. But the next day BAM! Lots of razor burn and white bumps. I was pissed but was determined to make this thing worked cuz me and the wife just spent $30 bucks on shaving stuff at walmart and to me, being 24 yrs old with two toddler girls and a newborn boy that's alot of money to waste! Anywho, from the mach 3 I went to a twin blade from dollar shave club. It did seem to do better than the mach 3 as far as irritation was concerned, but I still got way to many bumps and burn still so I cancelled my subscription in that first month. I began to feel hopeless at this point and I think I searched on Google "Problems with Razor Bumps" and found the thread with the guy on badgerandblade working his way through the struggle of razor bumps. Reading that thread and other helpful info on this forum I ended up buying the microtouch one (which isn't that bad) and my wife just recently bought me the van der hagan premium shaving kit. I watched tons of mantic tutorials, he even had one on the exact kit that I had received. I know my setup may be considered cheap but the results I'm getting are fantastic! I am still learning though so I am still getting a little burn but not nearly as much as before, but no bumps anymore! What could still be the result of me getting a little razor burn? Would a sharper blade be better or worse for me? I'm currently doing a wtg pass and xtg pass. I am also shaving every other day.Using microtouch one with the dorcos and van der hagen soap and boar brush. Thanks for reading guys.

Welcome to B&B! Sounds like you're making a good start - with the usual and customary challenges.

Patience, grasshopper... It will get better -- and then you'll wonder why yo didn't get into "wet shaving" sooner!

A lot of questions/concepts in your message...rest assured that you will soon have a load of good advice from several of the gentlemen here on B&B on all the points.

Meanwhile...poke around the forums and make yourself at home!

Welcome to B&B! Sounds like you're making a good start - with the usual and customary challenges.

Patience, grasshopper... It will get better -- and then you'll wonder why yo didn't get into "wet shaving" sooner!

A lot of questions/concepts in your message...rest assured that you will soon have a load of good advice from several of the gentlemen here on B&B on all the points.

Thanks

I'm also new at this, still trying to figure the whole razor burn thing out. Make sure you're applying as little pressure as possible, esp ATG - it's something we have to relearn after using carts for years. Some people get good results with Dorcos, many don't like them (I've never tried them). Maybe get a variety of blades to try, they can really make a difference. Most everyone gets good results with Astras. I like Feathers with a safety bar razor, not as much with an open comb - Astras or Voskhods there. But there are so many other brands I haven't tried yet -- at tryablade.com you can create your own sampler pack. Blades are really YMMV, see what works best for you.

Welcome to the forum!

The razor burn is because you are using too much pressure, still. You need to relearn a new technique coming from the Mach 3. Just be patient and try to use almost no pressure for now and see how that goes. Most newbies would be amazed at how much pressure they are applying to the razor even though it doesn't seem that they are.
Also, make sure your lather is well made and hydrated as this will also help with your shaves.
Good luck.

+1

Welcome to the Forum! Lightening up on the pressure as noted above is probably the best advice. Trying different blades is a great idea too. If part of your discomfort is coming from sensitive skin and not just technique or blades you might want to think about a soap or cream designed especially for sensitive skin. There are numerous choices out there, check out the "Reviews" section for more information than you ever thought existed.

Enjoy the journey.

Welcome bbailey! One of the guys here has a sig that gives the best advice and I'm sorry to say that I can't find one of his posts just now.
I'm paraphrasing but is said that the bigest thing to affect your shave is the pressure you use on the razor. Prep is also a big component, but alot of problems can be solved by remembering to use zero extra pressure on the blade. Just the weight of the razor itself. I'll keep diging and mabey I can find him

Welcome to the forum!

The razor burn is because you are using too much pressure, still. You need to relearn a new technique coming from the Mach 3. Just be patient and try to use almost no pressure for now and see how that goes. Most newbies would be amazed at how much pressure they are applying to the razor even though it doesn't seem that they are.
Also, make sure your lather is well made and hydrated as this will also help with your shaves.
Good luck.
This.

As a former Mach3 user, I had the same problem. You've got to realize you are shaving with a real blade. The pressure required is really no pressure...you will hear "let the weight of the razor do the work." This is key...your muscle memory needs to be purged of the "squeegee" action you used with a cartridge shaver. Become one with the blade...:001_cool:

This.

As a former Mach3 user, I had the same problem. You've got to realize you are shaving with a real blade. The pressure required is really no pressure...you will hear "let the weight of the razor do the work." This is key...your muscle memory needs to be purged of the "squeegee" action you used with a cartridge shaver. Become one with the blade...:001_cool:

Good way of explaining it! Thanks

Welcome bbailey! One of the guys here has a sig that gives the best advice and I'm sorry to say that I can't find one of his posts just now.
I'm paraphrasing but is said that the bigest thing to affect your shave is the pressure you use on the razor. Prep is also a big component, but alot of problems can be solved by remembering to use zero extra pressure on the blade. Just the weight of the razor itself. I'll keep diging and mabey I can find him

Thanks I would appreciate it but ok if u can't find it.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Newb just saying hello from Cleveland Ohio. I also wanted to share some of my journey and hopefully I get some tips

So, about 2 1/2 months ago I was seeking a better way to shave cuz my wife was sick of my beard. I used to work for Nestlé and the department I worked in I had to shave regularly because we had to wear respirators daily. During that 8 month period of me working there and having to shave daily, I dealt with very bad itching, irritation, razor bumps and burn. Needless to say I hated shaving and thought it wasn't for me, so when my wife recommend that I try again I was very hesitant at first until she found an article on how to get a better shave. The article talked about the importance of a good prep, getting a brush to apply cream instead of your fingers and getting good moisture after your shave but it never mentioned shaving with a DE Razor. I ended up trying these steps but I used a mach 3(bad!!) As my razor. I noticed immediately a calmer shave then I remembered from before because of the new steps i discovered and after my shave I had very minimal irritation. But the next day BAM! Lots of razor burn and white bumps. I was pissed but was determined to make this thing worked cuz me and the wife just spent $30 bucks on shaving stuff at walmart and to me, being 24 yrs old with two toddler girls and a newborn boy that's alot of money to waste! Anywho, from the mach 3 I went to a twin blade from dollar shave club. It did seem to do better than the mach 3 as far as irritation was concerned, but I still got way to many bumps and burn still so I cancelled my subscription in that first month. I began to feel hopeless at this point and I think I searched on Google "Problems with Razor Bumps" and found the thread with the guy on badgerandblade working his way through the struggle of razor bumps. Reading that thread and other helpful info on this forum I ended up buying the microtouch one (which isn't that bad) and my wife just recently bought me the van der hagan premium shaving kit. I watched tons of mantic tutorials, he even had one on the exact kit that I had received. I know my setup may be considered cheap but the results I'm getting are fantastic! I am still learning though so I am still getting a little burn but not nearly as much as before, but no bumps anymore! What could still be the result of me getting a little razor burn? Would a sharper blade be better or worse for me? I'm currently doing a wtg pass and xtg pass. I am also shaving every other day.Using microtouch one with the dorcos and van der hagen soap and boar brush. Thanks for reading guys.

Sir, congrats on switching to DE shaving and welcome to B&B! Having a cheap set-up does NOT mean having poor quality tools. When it comes to wet shaving many times the best items are placed in a lower price point, hence do not worry at all about that! I'd rather concentrate on shaving technique, trying to reduce or totally eliminate razor burn. Razor burn and redness are caused by 3 main factors:

1. Too much pressure. Do NOT use any pressure at all while shaving. Allow the weight of your DE razor (and only that) to do the job.

2. A dull blade. Replace the blade if dull, or if new, try another brand that gives you the perfect balance between sharpness and smoothness. Being sharp is certainly important, being feeling smooth is equally important!

3. No proper prep. A proper prep is half a great shave. Use plenty of piping hot water to prepare your face for a close shave and work a creamy lather into your whiskers with the help of a shaving brush. Spend some time doing this, as it will soften the beard and allow to get much better results.

Hello and welcome. B&B is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here.

You have enough tips above to get off to a good start. Be patient and practice daily and you'll get the hang of it.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
bbaily; Wecome to B&B! You're getting lots of good advice here. Now, I have used Dorco blades and don't prefer them. I would like to suggest you try Astra SP for your next blade purchase; Highly regarded for beginners and experienced shavers.

bbaily; Wecome to B&B! You're getting lots of good advice here. Now, I have used Dorco blades and don't prefer them. I would like to suggest you try Astra SP for your next blade purchase; Highly regarded for beginners and experienced shavers.

+1 You would have a hard time finding anyone that does not like the Astra SP for smoothness (aka, a comfortable shave). I'm sure there are a few gents here that they don't work well for, but they are few and far between. Just because they work well for many doesn't mean they will work well for you but I would really recommend that they be part of whatever sampler pack you end up trying.

Top Bottom