What's new

What should my second soap be?

I'm still pretty new to this (10 shaves into the journey), and currently have only one soap - Palmolive stick. I use a boar brush. I think my wife wants ideas for something to give me, so I ask - what should my second soap be?

Requirements:

Performance - I don't care how good it smells, if it does not perform at least as well as the Palmolive stick I am not interested.

Scent - must be mild. I do not like strong scents. Not too flowery.

Hopefully reasonably priced.

Ideas?

Catie's Bubbles Le Nude (unscented) or Mike's Natural Soap Unscented.

Both great soaps for those days when you want to smell like you.

ok, taking all of your criteria into consideration I'd recommend:

RazoRock XXX - has a light citrus based cologne scent and is an outstanding performer. Price is $9.99. This is a copy of the $70 Aqua de Parma soap that uses the AdP Colonia scent. In my opinion this is even better.

Other great performers you might like are:
Phoenix Artisan - outstanding soaps, bolder scents though at about $10.
Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow - outstanding soaps, light to moderate scents. This would be a great fit for you but $20
Catie's Bubbles - $20 but 8 oz jars, so it's like buying two. An excellent soap maker if you can find a scent you like.
Tiki - really nice soap that's not too expensive maybe $12 or so. Some scents are mild like Surf's up and Salty Air.
RazoRock - you have to research to separate the outstanding ones from the average ones as the soap is made by different soap makers but many of the scents are faint and the soaps are inexpensive at around $10.
LA Shaving - A great soap but some of the scents are expensive as all Essential Oils are used. Really nice soap though.
Cold River Soap Co - getting great reviews
WSP Rustic - getting great reviews as well and inexpensive

Go with a known quantity because in the end you will hear all about them on this board and want to try them

Speick
Arko
Proraso
TOBS
Cella

All reasonably priced to down right cheap in the case of Arko; so much so that an arko stick and a cella bowl or Proraso tube would cost the same as one of the others mentioned...two soaps (and quality ones) for the price of one.

Razorock sandalwood sensitive skin. Has lanolin in it I believe. Just got it in the mail today and lathered up and by God I probably could have shaved with my salivation it was so luxurious. $6.99 on Amazon and free shipping. You can't beat it.

DR Harris Arlington is a light, non lasting woody scent. It is a hard soap so you get a lot of shaves out of it, and if your wife wants to splurge she can get you the one in a nice wood bowl. My wife loves Arlington

Top Bottom