What's new

Passport cover for my daughter

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
if the guy wants to spend 1k on a passport cover for his daughters christmas who are we to tell him not to?

if someone wanted to spend 1k on a pair of shoes it would be a different story.

"Hey, Toothpick, cancel that bespoke brogue order with Cleverly ... you gots a passport cover to buy!!"

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
"Hey, Toothpick, cancel that bespoke brogue order with Cleverly ... you gots a passport cover to buy!!"

What was that movie with Michael Douglas and he's climbing the ladder and looses a shoe and he's like "there goes $1,000" and the person climbing behind him is like "your shoes cost you $1,000!?"
And his reply was "that one".

Anyway, that's what I was reminded of here.

There are people who have money to blow.

Obviously he doesn't have Hilton money because Paris would be insulted by only a 1k item.

His profile says he's from Australia. There things cost a lot more than here. It's like living in NYC.

Some people here can afford a good used Honda and maybe a couple can afford a new Honda.

One or two maybe a new BMW or Porsche.

And there has to be another one or two who spend more on a car than many of us will make in a lifetime.

This forum is very democratic. They will let anybody in no matter how much money you have. You only have to have an interest in shaving, shoes, pens, watches, tobacco, guns, whiskey and or food.

On second thought maybe he did November restraint and wants to buy something nice for someone else.

There are people who have money to blow.

Obviously he doesn't have Hilton money because Paris would be insulted by only a 1k item.

His profile says he's from Australia. There things cost a lot more than here. It's like living in NYC.

Some people here can afford a good used Honda and maybe a couple can afford a new Honda.

One or two maybe a new BMW or Porsche.

And there has to be another one or two who spend more on a car than many of us will make in a lifetime.

This forum is very democratic. They will let anybody in no matter how much money you have. You only have to have an interest in shaving, shoes, pens, watches, tobacco, guns, whiskey and or food.

On second thought maybe he did November restraint and wants to buy something nice for someone else.

I think, at least for me it , is it isn't the amount he wants to spend but the amount he wants to spend on overpriced garbage. Okay well maybe not garbage but an overpriced "fashion" name. It would be different for a quality hand made item by a craftsperson.
I've paid $600 for a flashlight before, but it was a one of 5 hand made damascus custom light. If you are going to spend money on something at least make sure it's quality.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What was that movie with Michael Douglas and he's climbing the ladder and looses a shoe and he's like "there goes $1,000" and the person climbing behind him is like "your shoes cost you $1,000!?"
And his reply was "that one".

Anyway, that's what I was reminded of here.

Now you have reminded me of this:

Last edited by a moderator:
From my experience, which is probably limited compared to the OP, covers don't help much. I bought a decent one when I started to travel more because I thought I should, but invariably, you are asked to remove it when going through customs anyway. I have never had a single officer check it while it was still in a cover.

Actually something like that is not showing off because so few people will ever see it. Buying a Rolex or BMW. That's showing off. Because most people who buy them are usually one or two pay checks away from bankruptcy.

Beware of using passport covers because, other than the clear plastic ones, some countries don't allow there use and will make you remove them.

That being said... 1K (assuming USD) seems pretty extravagant even if I had the money to waste. :w00t:

Wow, that thing is stunning -- wish I could see that leather in person.

I gotta admit guys, I'm a little surprised by our overall response to the OP. We're a group that spends $50-$200 on a shaving brush, $20 for a puck of soap, $50-$100 on a razor, all so we can "save" on blades. Add to that most of us have more than one brush, more than one soap/cream, and more than one razor. The "average" guy buys Barbasol for $1.99 and disposables or carts. Justify the shaving purchases all you want, but if he wants to purchase a luxury passport cover, it's his money. I think it's a poor reflection on us, as a group, to respond the way we did. What if some joker went over to the M&F Blonde Badger thread and was like, "Man, you guys are a bunch of idiots. I tell you what...buy two Omega boars for $20 then spend the rest of that money on Playstation games."

I agree with Tyler. Except the "$50-$100 on a razor" part. Maybe for those DEs, but come check out what straights can go for.

$1k for a razor? Easy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

I gotta admit guys, I'm a little surprised by our overall response to the OP. We're a group that spends $50-$200 on a shaving brush, $20 for a puck of soap, $50-$100 on a razor, all so we can "save" on blades. Add to that most of us have more than one brush, more than one soap/cream, and more than one razor. The "average" guy buys Barbasol for $1.99 and disposables or carts. Justify the shaving purchases all you want, but if he wants to purchase a luxury passport cover, it's his money. I think it's a poor reflection on us, as a group, to respond the way we did. What if some joker went over to the M&F Blonde Badger thread and was like, "Man, you guys are a bunch of idiots. I tell you what...buy two Omega boars for $20 then spend the rest of that money on Playstation games."
$1.99 for Barbasol is a ripoff. Trust me, I know :laugh:

+1.
$1k for a passport cover is too rich for my blood, but it's his money.
Having said that, he DID come here looking for advice, and I'm not sure we've managed to find a passport cover that costs that much. As such, it would seem that he's over-budgeted, and we helped him realize that. We just have to remember to lay off the snark.

Good evening guys. First off let me say I'm sorry for taking so long to post to answer questions. Lets start with the doozey... Yes I think paying 1k for a passport cover seems silly but my daughter wants something special. I can get a LV for under 400 bucks but while my wife loves her purses and wallets I was hoping to find something a little different and or better quality. I am willing to entertain a budget up to 1k US dollars. I have a saddleback briefcase and know of the passport cover they have and I did check out Mitchell leather also. Both I think would be better quality but seem a little to manly for my daughter.
After reading this whole thread I think it would be best to just take the high road and be civil when responding. But there are a few things I would like to point out. First I am not trying to pull anyones leg here, its not April 1st and 2nd I'm sure not embarassed to spend the money I earn working on a daughter I love. Just like I not embarrassed to wear 400 shoes, write with 400 pens that I fill from an $80 bottle of green ink, drink top shelf booze instead of well ect ect.
Please understand I wasnt trying to start a flame thread, I truly enjoy coming here after a long day and read what everyone is up to. I just really wanted some input and I am sorry if that put some people out of sorts. BTW I do own a Rolex as does my daughter (graduation gift) and everyday at work I see on avg 15 rolex on the wrist of my co workers and friends and I can tell you that indeed doesnt mean any of us are a paycheck or two away from BK.

Again sorry for the trouble
Plano

Legion

Staff member
No trouble at all. I'm sure I didn't mean to offend.

I guess our point is, you would have trouble spending 1k on a passport wallet, even though you have the money to spend. They just don't cost that much. A Rolex is a machine with moving parts. There is some justification spending big money on something like that if you can afford it, because you are buying mechanical precision, along with the prestige value a brand like that carries. A 1k passport wallet, you would be mostly paying for the prestige. If you are happy with that, by all means, buy one for your daughter.

One point, however.

Depending on where you daughter is travelling, an overt display of wealth (LV handbag, luggage, passport holder) might not be the wisest choice, safety wise. There are plenty of nasty people out there who look for that kind of stuff.

Top Bottom