What's new

Minor nicks and Exfoliation

I have had some minor nicks, two - three times a week on my lower neck. Where you expect it to be an easy shave, I was at the doctors office recently the same day I nicked myself. I got into a discussion with the nurse (she straight razor shaves) and suggested I use a gentle daily exfoliation in the shower before shaving. (I picked Aveno)

After doing this for about three weeks now, not a single nick in the problem area.

Does anyone know why this works or how it helps? I am just baffled since I thought a DE razor would do a good job of removing the dead skin also...

Tim

Hello,

I do think that exfoliating before a shave can be good. It removes dead skin cells and cleanses.

Although the DE razor is also supposed to remove old skin cells, I think it is preferable to remove them through exfoliation prior to the shave. Then the way is clear for the blade, which thus seems to perform better.

Just try not to exfoliate too much as this may irritate the skin and result in an uncomfortable shave.

Interesting...

Is there a consensus/recommendation on product/technique? (I am aware that "consensus" is rare on B&B..."intelligent discourse" is what I'm seeking I guess...) :001_smile

Very interesting (really...however I am a recovering engineer)

My take-aways: While brush and cream provide some exfoliation (releasing of "trapped hairs") a pre-shave use of a "facial scrub" is much better, and should lead to reduced irritation/ingrowns. Unfortunately, the paper didn't get into characterization of the facial scrub product(s)...that would have been useful. But the paper is 2 years old (therefore research older) so product availability is probably much different.

So...we have confirmed that a pre-shave facial scrub is a good thing. Are there any product recommendations out there?

BTW...another factoid from the paper: carts have been around since 1929.

Translation for those who don't speak medicalese: Using a facial scrub (they did not specify exactly what was used) frees up about 70-75% of "trapped hairs" prior to shaving. Using a shaving brush to apply cream frees up about 30%. Splashing water alone frees up only about 5%.

There appears to be a benefit to a pre-shave "facial scrub."

The main problem I have with the paper is that there is no methods section. No description of exactly what was done in each group, nor of how measurements were made.

I have had some minor nicks, two - three times a week on my lower neck. Where you expect it to be an easy shave, I was at the doctors office recently the same day I nicked myself. I got into a discussion with the nurse (she straight razor shaves) and suggested I use a gentle daily exfoliation in the shower before shaving. (I picked Aveno)

After doing this for about three weeks now, not a single nick in the problem area.

Does anyone know why this works or how it helps? I am just baffled since I thought a DE razor would do a good job of removing the dead skin also...

Tim

Which Aveeno did you pick up? It looks like there are several options available.

I've never heard of a woman straight shaving. Is that more common than I'm aware?

This is also the first I've heard of specifically exfoliating before shaving. Curious: Which Aveno product are you/she using? Is it a soap or cream with micro-texture? Are you shaving every day? What's your skin type -- oily, dry, combo, normal?

As for consensus, there are quite a few things that are more or less agreed. We don't discuss those things much. Lather is good. Bowl or face lather is up for debate. Brushes are good. Boar, badger, horse, synthetic is discussed. However, pre-shave prep is a whole domain of open discussion. Soaking brush and showers are popular. Beyond that...

I have the usual oil in the T-Zone, otherwise slightly dry on my face.
The nurse told me to just try a gentle exfoliating lotion/wash/cleanser which is made/designed for daily use.
I use AVEENO® POSITIVELY AGELESS® Daily Exfoliating Cleanser since I could get it from Amazon and did not require me to go to a store; and it was relatively cheap, by a major brand and had the key words, daily, exfoliating, cleanser.

In terms of women straight shaving, I have no idea. I never thought about it one way or the other. But she does have nice legs :thumbup1:

Tim

Is 'trapped hairs' the same as 'ingrown hairs', hairs that are growing into the skin (out of follicle bounds) or in the follicle but trapped by dirt/oil? I am wondering because exfoliation sounds like scrapping the skin surface, which a blade certainly does. Where as I would think a cleanser is meant to help clean up pores and follicles (free trapped hairs).

Based on reading the material VerbaVolent linked too, trapped hairs can become ingrown.
Otherwise, hair can be trapped by many factors, and removing the proximate causes before shaving reduced/eliminated the number of trapped hairs significantly.

Tim

...I am wondering because exfoliation sounds like scrapping the skin surface, which a blade certainly does...
The blade might have an exfoliation effect but, unfortunately it comes too late, right after the cut is done. The main idea is to exfoliate BEFORE the blade touches the skin, thus eliminating the cuts.

...Unfortunately, the paper didn't get into characterization of the facial scrub product(s)...that would have been useful. But the paper is 2 years old (therefore research older) so product availability is probably much different...
Considering the conflict of interest, the "paper" really could not do much more than mention the type of product. It would really be outrageous and would discredit the authors otherwise.

I recently started exfoliating every day (sounds like a medical problem!) and I have noticed that the number of small red bumps I get on my throat after shaving has reduced significantly (they seem to disappear after using the scrub). I don't necessarily use it right before I shave, just whenever I remember. I think using a facial scrub at any time is helpful because the hairs that it releases should then grow outward rather than inward.

I recently started exfoliating every day (sounds like a medical problem!) and I have noticed that the number of small red bumps I get on my throat after shaving has reduced significantly (they seem to disappear after using the scrub). I don't necessarily use it right before I shave, just whenever I remember. I think using a facial scrub at any time is helpful because the hairs that it releases should then grow outward rather than inward.
So...would it be more effective to exfoliate when the beard is short (i.e., after a shave) or longer (i.e., before a shave)?

I believe there is a big difference between the two, the trapped vs ingrown.

Well, there are two kinds on ingrown. One kind, "side-growns", start as trapped hairs and never emerge. The other kind emerge, then curl back into the skin. Freeing trapped hairs prevents side-growns, but does nothing for curl-backs.

So...would it be more effective to exfoliate when the beard is short (i.e., after a shave) or longer (i.e., before a shave)?

Both should free trapped hairs. Which one is better probably depends on individual hair growth rate and patterns.

Personally I find 5-7 minutes of face lathering is about right, and keeps me from getting the side-grown ingrowns that were a problem back when I shaved with a sensor and canned foam or shaving oil. That, and not shaving with dull blades.

But YMMV, and probably will.

I don't know for sure but I think regular exfoliation would be the best bet. I only bought the scrub I am using 4 or 5 days ago, so that's as far as my experience stretches but my throat / neck seems to be improving with daily use.

In my mind, I think exfoliating when your beard is short will help to free trapped hairs that are just forming, so they can grow through normally and doing it daily afterwards will hopefully catch any that you missed (if you aren't shaving for a few days).

If you check the Aveeno Web site, there is an option to search for the daily exfoliating cleanser in a local store. I found it for $6.77 at Walmart in the cosmetics section. Same price as Amazon without the wait for shipping!

I plan to give this a try in the shower prior to shaving. I plan to use this after applying Lucky Tiger face wash since this Aveeno stuff says it is oil-free and soap-free.

Top Bottom