What's new

giving the gift of DE for xmas?

With Christmas right around the corner, I've been racking my brain trying to think of a good gift to give my 17 year old cousin, Thomas. He doesn't have a thick beard yet, but I'm not going to contribute to his video game obsession (kid needs to read a book once in a while). I was thinking of getting him a cheap starter DE.

Something like the razorock one for 20 clams.
I have a brush and a tin of soap he can use.

And I have plenty of blades to go around.

Here is my question... good gift? Different razor choice? (keep in mind I'm on a budget).

As long as you don't pick an overly aggressive razor for a newbie, you should be OK.

The last time I gave a DE as a gift I put in the card a link to B&B and to the various tutorials we have here.

Absolutely. I will avoid open comb or anything that I knew I wasn't going to attempt to shave with myself when I started.

I would strongly suggest you don't think twice about gifting him the Razorock "Mission" if that's the one you have in mind. I truly believe this is an excellent razor for anyone to own, beginner or expert.

I won't be the only one here to tell you you have an excellent idea for a Christmas gift there.

I would ease him into it; maybe just a razor and blade first. If you throw everything at him with razor, blade, brush, soap, AS, he might think you're forcing him to use all that stuff.

I gave my brother an Edwin Jagger DE89 and the Van Der Hagen brush/bowl/soap set as a wedding gift this summer. I'm not sure that he's used any of it yet. I probably should have given better instructions and links to the tutorials here. I can now imagine him looking at all that stuff and setting it on the shelf as a novelty. Easing into it would have probably been a better route.

I have a Krona that I might give to a good friend of mine. I keep talking about wet shaving with a DE. Ya, I am trying to convert him.LOL

I personally am giving a lot of people DEs for Christmas, switching from cartridges is the best day to day improvement I've made this year, besides losing a little weight. I think the Razorock would be perfect :thumbup:

I'd suggest a brush and cream. Give him a copy of 'LeisureGuys guide to gourmet shaving'. It's about $10. I've given several teenagers starter kits. The ones that got the book did actually read it (it's a quick, easy read) and tried the stuff out. If the $10 doesn't fit in the budget, give the book instead of the razor. If he shows interest, then you have a good birthday or graduation gift (since he's 17 Im guessing he's a senior?).

Get him an edwin jagger de89.. It's a wonderful shaver with an excellent fit and finish!
Just the finish makes want to use it. I'm sure it'll be the same with him!

Top Bottom