What's new

Can anyone tell me about this razor

I just bought a new straight razor today (see pictures), I've had no luck finding any info about it online so I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me about it (year of production, quality of razor, value etc.)

It says Chromic Tested XX on the handle and on the blade it says W.R Case & Sons Bradford P.A Made in U.S.A on one side and Chromic Tested & Our Best Razor on the other side.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• $20141115_213219.jpg
    $20141115_213219.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 172
  • $20141115_213242.jpg
    $20141115_213242.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 172
Probably made around early quarter of 20th century, with a third pin it was likely fancy but it looks like a standard 5/8 square point in nice condition.

"Chromic" suggests to me that it may be stainless steel, but no promises. WR Case imported a LOT of razors.

In any case, looks to be in stellar condition. Nice blade.

I don't think it's kosher here to ask for valuations of things, check the rules.

"Chromic" suggests to me that it may be stainless steel, but no promises. WR Case imported a LOT of razors.

In any case, looks to be in stellar condition. Nice blade.

I don't think it's kosher here to ask for valuations of things, check the rules.

Ahh sorry I did not see any rules. Thank you for your input. This is my first straight and I'm looking forward to trying it out

If the steel is anything like the steel on the green lizard blade I have, you have something to look forward to.

From Goins Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings:

'If marked: W.R. Case & Sons Bradford, PA (on the back of the tan), c 1920-1955'
'Markings on the front of the tang include: Real Red Point, Adoration, Case's Ace...[several more]... Chromic Tested XX... [several more]'

All told, Goin's lists ~30 razor names/markings used by Case & Sons between 1920-1955 with Chromic Tested XX being one of them.

(Red Imp is another and I know quite a few people on the forum love the shaves they get from them, so, once it's honed, you should get some great shaves from it.)

Top Bottom