What's new

Sweet, Sweet Georgia

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I seem to remember using red SGB in the '90s as a teenager. Does that square with the production years? These days I just cut my hair at 3mm every other week. That being said, what do you use to wash that stuff out? As I recall, I had to use industrial strength detergents, and even after that I could still grease up a V8 engine block by rubbing my hair over it. Come to think if it, that might explain my premature hair loss...

Sir, I follow this tutorial here How to properly wash out oil based pomades. It's a trusted Old School method, used since the times of our Grandfathers and for me there's simply nothing better.

Todd, what if we make an exchange on a par: I'll teach you some Italian and you'll help me out with my English? :001_smile

Marco, I fear you would be on the losing end of that bargain! Your English is already very good and other than si, gratzi or ciao I am really lost. Of course Italian being one of the Latin based Romantic languages I am able to piece together some words from the similarities to Spanish but about all I would wind up doing if I tried to speak Italian is invite some lady to slap me!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, would you place this as a close second behind goon grease?

Chris, at the point I'd say that the Sweet Georgia Brown pomades and Lockhart's Goon Grease share 1st podium, being respectively my favourite old and new oil based pomades. What I really, really love about SGB is using them in a combo because I do get out the best from both with matching scents. The Goon Grease is already great on its own and I want to buy soon some of the new cinnamon/sandalwood version for the Fall/Winter season. Also, I want to continue experimenting combos with other vintage pomades. How whould it be to use Murray's Superior as a base and Murray's Super Light or Hair Glo as a cover? The world of hair pomades is just too fascinating to limit myself to a few products only!

Last edited:
Chris, at the point I'd say that the Sweet Georgia Brown pomades and Lockhart's Goon Grease share 1st podium, being respectively my favourite old and new oil based pomades. What I really, really love about SGB is using them in a combo because I do get out the best from both with matching scents. The Goon Grease is already great on its own and I want to buy soon some of the new cinnamon/sandalwood version for the Fall/Winter season. Also, I want to continue experimenting combos with other vintage pomades. How whould it be to use Murray's Superior as a base and Murray's Super Light or Hair Glo as a cover? The world of hair pomades is just too fascinating to limit myself to a few products only!
Nice! I found a can of blue on Amazon for $10 with free shipping. How is the shine in comparison to the grease?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Nice! I found a can of blue on Amazon for $10 with free shipping. How is the shine in comparison to the grease?

Chris, the Blue has a good medium shine - almost as much as the Goon Grease. But if you use the Blue in combo with the Red, as I like to do, you get an incredible high gloss finish that I'm starting to love.

Chris, the Blue has a good medium shine - almost as much as the Goon Grease. But if you use the Blue in combo with the Red, as I like to do, you get an incredible high gloss finish that I'm starting to love.
Marco I must ask as I am a novice. How do I apply another pomade as a cover? I assume I style with pomade A and then apply pomade b. I fear this will destroy my pomp lol

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco I must ask as I am a novice. How do I apply another pomade as a cover? I assume I style with pomade A and then apply pomade b. I fear this will destroy my pomp lol

Chris, it's actually very simple. You comb and style with pomade A (the stronger hold) until you get your desired shape, then proceed with pomade B (the lighter hold) to finish and give extra sheen. You apply pomade A regularly, which means through the hair from roots to tips, then comb to distribute the pomade and style into your desired shape. After that work a little quantity of pomade B evenly into the palm of the hands and apply it super lightly on the hair as "giving a caress". You may not even need a comb or just a few strokes. Please note that almost all the job is done with pomade A, while pomade B is only a refinement touch for extra shine.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This makes me want to buy a can of Murrays or royal crown just to try this lol.

This is exactly what I'm just going to do: Murray's Superior (base) in combo with Murray's Hair Glo (cover). Gentlemen, please note that the entire idea is not new and has been used since the times of our Grandfathers. If you want extra hold combined with extra shine you need to use two pomades, otherwise you will sacrifice either super shine (with the heavy alone) or super hold (with the light alone).

P.S. When placing the order I'm also adding two more tins of SGB, one Blue and one Red. :001_wub:

So Marco would you say that SGB blue is closest in quality and feel to goon grease? I really like the lock harts goon grease, but my wife seems to have a reaction to its scent........so i am looking for a similar replacement for it.

Marco, what's your comparison between SGB Blue and Murray's?
As you know, I like a lighter pomade. Just wondering if SGB is easier to handle than Murray's.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
So Marco would you say that SGB blue is closest in quality and feel to goon grease? I really like the lock harts goon grease, but my wife seems to have a reaction to its scent........so i am looking for a similar replacement for it.

Sir, if you like Lockhart's Goon Grease I think you will love Murray's Superior. Of the vintage pomades I've tried it's the closest to the Goon Grease in terms of ease of use, hold and overall performance, with just a bit more shine. Another great one I recommend is Murray's Nu Nile: again soft, pliable, with Medium/Heavy Hold and good shine - pretty much what you get from Lockhart's Goon Grease. SGB Blue, instead, is heavier, gives extra hold and needs to be warmed up into the palms before applying because of its slightly harder consistency. However, considering its low price and AMAZING performance, I'd try a jar of this too, better if in combo with the Red.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, what's your comparison between SGB Blue and Murray's?
As you know, I like a lighter pomade. Just wondering if SGB is easier to handle than Murray's.

Adam, SGB Blue, as I already mentioned in my previous post, has a slightly harder consistency compared to Murray's Superior. Nothing to really worry about, it's still soft and pliable, just needs to be worked into the hands before applying. Hold is higher and shine is still incredibly good for such an Extra Strong pomade. As about SGB Red this is softer, with a good Medium Hold and high sheen, to me something "in between" Murray's Nu Nile and Murray's Super Light.

P.S. The one pomade from Murray's that probably is the closest to SGB Blue should be the new, Special Edition X-Tra Heavy. I have a couple of tins currently shipping and will update once here and tested.

I understand! I'll be putting an order in today!
Thanks for the advice, sir, sorry for making you repeat yourself.

Top Bottom