What's new

Wife's 50th Birthday

My wife's 50th birthday is coming up in the next ten days and I still can't get her to give me any clue what she wants for her birthday.

The only thing I know is she will be mad if I don't get her something nice.

Budget up to 1k

She doesn't work outside the home and we never go anywhere formal.

And she doesn't like guns.

Suggestions?

How about a Spa day , massage, facial, hair, nails, a limo ride and a nice lunch somewhere in Scottsdale with you. Just a way for her to pamper herself as she sees you spoiling yourself with shaving stuff. Just a thought

With it being her 50th, maybe a spa day and a very nice dinner? Being in Arizona, maybe take her to Vegas for a show?

im pretty certain that a 50 yo woman want the same thig as a 25yo woman... to be treated like a princess and told how special she is...

How about a Spa day , massage, facial, hair, nails, a limo ride and a nice lunch somewhere in Scottsdale with you. Just a way for her to pamper herself as she sees you spoiling yourself with shaving stuff. Just a thought

She gets those as gift certs and they sit on a shelf.

She's not the spa type unless we are in Vegas.

Kitchen Aid Mixer. The gift that keeps giving.

Has one. I use it more than she does. LOL

Now you guys know why I'm having such a hard time.

What she really wants is a house in the U.P. Where she has family.

Problem is in the next 10 years most of those people will be dead and I'll still have a house where the market is getting worse not better and taxes keep going up because fewer people have jobs every day.

You can buy a house up there for less than a car.

But for 3 weeks a year it's a full time problem.

What does she like? Literature? Art? Music?

And seriously, if the price of a house in that region is less than a car, why not buy a second house, and spend as much time there as you both can afford?

How about a nice long weekend getaway to some place special? As years go by, material things loose some of their excitement, but time together at a special place is memorable.

With that kind of budget take her for a weekender (four day weekend) away. Las Vegas and take in a show. Lots of big artists to choose from. I have no idea where you are from but American discount malls are a Canadian dream come true. Maybe New York, That’s on my wife’s bucket list. Just give it a think as to where your wife has wanted to go.
As the man one said “time well wasted”
Johnny

Okay how about the NASCAR experience at PIR or Bondurant at Firebird or even Air Combat USA

I like those but if I did that she would think it was like the Simpsons episode where Homer gets Marge a bowling ball with Homer inscribed on it.

We did Firebird 2 times already for my birthday.

But I like how you think.

I like those but if I did that she would think it was like the Simpsons episode where Homer gets Marge a bowling ball with Homer inscribed on it.

We did Firebird 2 times already for my birthday.

But I like how you think.

HA HA HA OK, that was actually my wifes suggestion, as I gave her the Aircombat a fews years back and she loved it, yest it was for me too, but I guess I got lucky LOL.

How about a nice watch ( big surprise coming from me LOL)

Take her to a couple of U.P. B&B's - there's the one near Pictured Rocks that is a lighthouse, a couple nice ones in Houghton, and a beautiful lodge on the lake in Christmas. Just wait until it's warm to take her there :)

What does she like? Literature? Art? Music?

And seriously, if the price of a house in that region is less than a car, why not buy a second house, and spend as much time there as you both can afford?

She likes Facebook and Pinterest.

Right now she is spending a lot of time and money on our current house doing upgrades. She doesn't see any of that as being gift like. Just day to day. The New Honda Pilot I got her because she had to have a big reliable car to drive there for the summer as well didn't count either.

There is something really wrong with the market up there.

Most of the houses are owned buy the kids of people who have died or are in nursing homes that are for sale.

Most of them need lots of work. When you look at the work it's just like buying a classic car. You have twice as much in it than you can sell it for. days on market are over a year or more.

We just sold my mothers house in Indiana and had the same problem. She's had it for 25 years and barely broke even. Too many people in Chicago bought their and now they are all retiring and moving to FL and AZ and the new crop of young professionals are too few to keep the prices up on too much inventory. And the locals jobs barely pay enough to buy a 50k house let alone 300k.

The only reason the people could buy it is because they could get 3% down and we paid their closing costs.

All except the ones that are on lakes or are summer homes for the big city folk in Milwaukee. Those are still in the 100s but for 3 weeks a year no way.

Plus my son only has 2 more years max before he wants to spend time with mom or dad.

But that's too logical. Are there any chicks who think logically?

My wife actually suggested skydiving or the iFly experience.

She also mentioned that since you don't do formal dinners maybe doing one for her 50th could be an idea. Not sure if you have a dinner theatre there, but those can be fun. Also threw out there that a nice watch, earrings, etc.

Last edited:
How about a nice long weekend getaway to some place special? As years go by, material things loose some of their excitement, but time together at a special place is memorable.

The only long weekend I have left this year is Thanksgiving and she already bought new table runners and table cloths.

She has that ordeal already planned out.

She is already mad that I didn't plan this one a year or two in advance and invite all her friends and family like she did for my 50th and then get the bill for 4k.

Still cheaper than the 5k a month my friend is going to pay his new x for the next 20 years.

The only problem other than that is I still love my wife. She's just a bit crazy at times. Like birthdays and holidays.

Top Bottom