What's new

razorock razors?

I'm trying to find something decent for a DE razor. Found a RazoRock and only one review on YouTube. Then again I wasn't looking that hard.

Anybody here use one?

I'm not sure what a slab is. I'm new to DE though I am a seasoned straight shaver. There was a tto and a 3 piece.

Well I suppose it depends partly on how aggressive of a DE you're looking for. I believe I saw on a post not long ago that you're wanting to transition over from straight razor shaving to DE, correct? I myself use a Standard Razor and a Merkur 34C, outside of my shavette. However, I recently purchased the RazoRock 4-piece travel as a gift for my son, and must say I'm impressed by the feel and weight.

Guilty as charged. I did see a few vintage razors at Razor Emporium and they carry the RazoRock mission too. (Just looked up the slab, didn't realize that was a model.) I'm torn, I like the price of the Mission. Though the ones at RE seem well priced for a vintage razor.

I switched from straights to DEs this spring after 3+ years shaving daily with straights.

I have tried a bunch of DEs of varying levels of aggressiveness, and find the more aggressive DEs most intuitive from a technique perspective. ie: based on how the blade is cutting, I can vary the angle a little to compensate for different patches of whiskers, etc. But I sometimes get little pin ***** Knicks where a skin bump top got shaved off.

Milder razors are much more forgiving in this regard. The amount of feedback was larger with the straight too, so it's easier to make this sort of mistake with a DE.

After 3-4weeks of practice, I found I could get just as close of a shave with a mild razor, but it involves moving my wrist to make sure the DE head follows my face and neck contours. With the more aggressive razor, it's just a tiny fingertip manipulation - just like a straight.

Ps: I was suprised to discover how much difference the DE blades make. Much more difference than the razor IMO. I found that the sharpest blades flexed too much for my grey wiry whiskers.

With my extra hollow straights, I could just adjust the angle a tiny bit to compensate for blade flex. With the DE, the safety bar or open comb prevented a big enough adjustment. As a result, slightly less aggressive blades worked best for me. really forgiving blades tugged instead of slicing cleanly though.

Wow. After reading that I'm glad I haven't dropped off my two old straight razors to them!

So since I'm not getting anything serviced there, I am just looking to buy.

Just started down this road mid-Sept. of this year. Only DE razor i've used is the Mission which i'm very pleased with, nice heft to it and the knurled handle were key for me. Feel that i'm progressing nicely, rare, rare, rare for any blood and every shave seems better then the last as i figure things out! Couldn't be more pleased, best shaves i've ever produced.
dave

I have a few Razorock Razors : the TTO, the stealth slant v2, and the mission. I love the mission. You cannot go wrong for the price with blades included, it is a great shaver.

I like the SLAB, but that's the only RazoRock razor I know. It's squarely "moderate" in aggression, I think-- more aggressive than I'd recommend to most newbs, but I'm not sure how coming from using straights affects things. People coming from cartridge razors have more trouble, because using pressure is in their muscle memory. Mild razors are generally more prudent for them.

I really like the Parker 24c, which is a very mild 3-piece OC. I like vintage razors because of the construction; they tend to be on the mild side, too (milder than the SLAB at least). And there are a million razors I haven't tried...

Have you given up on your original desire for a TTO?

Well after looking around, I posted this thread. After a little soul searching, I realized a new razor isn't my style. I'm more of a restoration/builder. I checked out a few videos on resto and sanitizing and found I have all I need to make it happen.
I hopped on etsy and found a 1960 super speed and another old Gillette (year and model not in the description) so this weekend I should be degriming and buffing a few razors.

Well after looking around, I posted this thread. After a little soul searching, I realized a new razor isn't my style. I'm more of a restoration/builder. I checked out a few videos on resto and sanitizing and found I have all I need to make it happen.
I hopped on etsy and found a 1960 super speed and another old Gillette (year and model not in the description) so this weekend I should be degriming and buffing a few razors.
Good for you! I wanna see before/after shots.

I like SuperSpeeds. "Another old Gillette" I'm sure I like, too, though we'll see which one it is. I think you made a good choice -- a relatively sure thing, even.

The more I look at the other one, the more I think it's a 1940's-1950's superspeed... I'm excited! And I will post pics!

Congrats! I don't have a 40s style SuperSpeed, myself, but everything I read tells me it is probably even better than the flare tips, which I think are outstanding razors. I mentioned that a red tip SuperSpeed is the first razor I remember my dad using when I was a kid, and generous forum friend sent me one. (Awesome community round here!) So a "regular" flare, a red-tip, and a later black-handled SuperSpeed are mine. Excellent shavers, all.

+1 on anything Razorock. I have the mission and jaws, and both are great. Not incredibly precisely made as there is a little bit of effort in aligning the blade properly. They still shave really well. I would say the Jaws is my favorite. A lot more control over the blade.

The Mission was first DE razor and I've used it daily for the last couple of months. It has performed great for me. I can't compare it with other razors yet (just ordered the RR SLAB yesterday), but there is a lot to be said with the quality of my first experience overall with a DE razor. I'm hooked at this point - if I got bad shaves or cut my face up with it, I would've backed out of this a couple months ago.

SLAB is amazing. And I thought they were no longer being produced...until another B&Ber mentioned they were back. And SLAB's baby brother has just been introduced to the planet - the RAKE, an open comb version. Relieved of my early shaving day delusions of whether OCs are more aggressive by definition than non-OCs (they're not), I surmise the RAKE is just as comfortable and efficient as the SLAB. And thus I ordered the former from IB.

Todd

Top Bottom