What's new

Wilkinson Sword, made in England

I still don't quite understand why modern German blades are so mediocre to average. You would think that of all places, Germany should be the one where you could transfer the Wilkinson Sword franchise from England and get something approaching traditional quality. Yet, Wilkinson Germany and Merkur represent either mediocrity or overpriced reliance on name brand. No one would argue that either blade is a bargain, especially in a world where the top Russian or Indian blades are so well-priced and often flat out superior at any price. In contrast, Japanese products (e.g. Feather) may not be perfect but they represent a consistency of quality and adherence to a standard that one would hope the Germans would be capable of.

I still don't quite understand why modern German blades are so mediocre to average. You would think that of all places, Germany should be the one where you could transfer the Wilkinson Sword franchise from England and get something approaching traditional quality. Yet, Wilkinson Germany and Merkur represent either mediocrity or overpriced reliance on name brand. No one would argue that either blade is a bargain, especially in a world where the top Russian or Indian blades are so well-priced and often flat out superior at any price. In contrast, Japanese products (e.g. Feather) may not be perfect but they represent a consistency of quality and adherence to a standard that one would hope the Germans would be capable of.

Name one blade currently in production in Germany that you think is a good blade. Wilkinson? Merkur?
If you want good blades, go to Russia.

... now that I think about it, I can name at least one good German blade: Croma, made by Feintechnik (now owned by Harry's). It is a very cheap and yet high quality blade. I think Bolzano is now also made in Germany.

Interesting point about the German blades.
There's a raft of really good modern blades like 7 OC Blacks, Gillette 365s and Supermax Blue Diamonds which come out of India, a country that obviously inherited a lot of British technology and industrial processes.

... now that I think about it, I can name at least one good German blade: Croma, made by Feintechnik (now owned by Harry's). It is a very cheap and yet high quality blade. I think Bolzano is now also made in Germany.

Yes, the Bolzano is a good blade, albeit very controversial. Croma is IMO a tad below, but still good. Nonetheless, I look to Gillette for the better shave usually. Ironically, two of the very best Gillette blades IMO are the least used: the Nacet Stainless & the Goal Stainless, the latter from India.

Modern blades have nothing on the popular vintage stainless steel blades like English Wilkies, or European/US Shlick or Gillette blades, not to mention the old dispensers are cool. I wish they still made blades today like they used to.

This version of the old Wilkies seem promising. I am now on shave 26 with one of these:

attachment.php

Good to know that despite my regular excursions to TGBE there's plenty more vintage blades that require "reviewing" :w00t:.

I'm looking forward to getting the Wilkies shortly now Toothpick. If I like them enough I'll have to start keeping an eye out on fleabay for 200 or more. I'm really starting to develop a case of RBAD now :laugh:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Good to know that despite my regular excursions to TGBE there's plenty more vintage blades that require "reviewing" :w00t:.

I'm looking forward to getting the Wilkies shortly now Toothpick. If I like them enough I'll have to start keeping an eye out on fleabay for 200 or more. I'm really starting to develop a case of RBAD now :laugh:

These are my personal stash FYI :thumbup1:

200 would likely wipe out everything on the bay. I can't seem to find more than a handful of 5pks. Which are to rich for my blood.

I have shaved with Gillette blades going back to the early seventies and live 6.5 miles from the Gillette offices in South Boston. I try to convince myself that some modern and vintage Gillette double edge blades are as good as vintage English made Wilkinson blades in terms of closeness of shave, sharpness and longevity. When I slip a vintage Wilkinson and shave with it I know I am kidding myself. No blades shave as well for me. Vintage Schick Platinum Plus blades come the closest. Sorry Gillette.

These are my personal stash FYI :thumbup1:

200 would likely wipe out everything on the bay. I can't seem to find more than a handful of 5pks. Which are to rich for my blood.

Well with any luck I'll get my hands on some old blades from my grandfather shortly. If I manage to get a decent enough amount then more than a few will likely end up in your box at TGBE but I'm not sure he'll have held onto many of them so here's hoping.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well with any luck I'll get my hands on some old blades from my grandfather shortly. If I manage to get a decent enough amount then more than a few will likely end up in your box at TGBE but I'm not sure he'll have held onto many of them so here's hoping.

Awesome! Post the pics!

WHOA!!!

Best. Shave. Ever.
I can confirm this. I recently went through my collection and found one of these to try. RARELY do I get 7 days of shaving from one blade. Add to this amazement with the fact I shave head and face; probably twice the area of shaving the face alone.
Now I'm wondering if any Bro here can tell me if the Indian made ones are as good.

I dont believe you can buy new ones any more because they moved the plant from England to Solingen, Germany; you may be able to find some NOS on Ebay though.

Top Bottom