What's new

Alum block = sceptic stick?

I think you mean "Styptic Pencil," not sceptic stick.

Yes, they're basically the same thing. Same basic chemical composition, at least.

A styptic pencil is used when you have a specific cut you want to treat and get the bleeding to stop. It can be from shaving, but it also works as well for cuts on your hands or elsewhere.

An alum block is used to treat your whole beard like an aftershave. It will seal up any cuts from shaving, but it also helps to tone your skin.

icon1.png
Alum block = sceptic stick?

Are these the same thing?
In my opinion, no... they are not the same. Closely related, but not the same.
Chemistry was my weakest subject in middle and high school.:blushing:

Yes, they're basically the same thing. Same basic chemical composition, at least.

A styptic pencil is used when you have a specific cut you want to treat and get the bleeding to stop. It can be from shaving, but it also works as well for cuts on your hands or elsewhere.

An alum block is used to treat your whole beard like an aftershave. It will seal up any cuts from shaving, but it also helps to tone your skin.
+1! I love my Osma alum block.

They may be similar in some ingredients but they are very different in texture, and purpose. The pencil is for bleeding.. The alum is used as an astringent and antibacterial . It is used in some countries as an anti deodorant. You'd never use the pencil that way. Alum wont stop a bleeding nick as well as a pencil (ask me how I know)

Styptic (not sceptic) pencils are basically alum plus some other ingredients.

Yep. Generally a 50/50 mix of ground up alum and titanium dioxide (also called titanium white). We all know what the alum does. The titanium is to make it look white and "clean".

I use an alum block after shaving and for weepers. The one I have is from Art of Shaving. Nice block but I think it is over priced. The next one I buy will be an Osma. I have read good reviews and the price is a lot better.

Cool, this is what I thought as well. I don't use any other aftershave other than alum stick / block.

Top Bottom