What's new

Coffee grinder woodworking kits, are they any good?

There are several coffee mill/grinder kits available from different woodworking supply shops. One just has to build the base.

Here are some examples:
$41859-md.jpg

But are these units quality grinders, or are they more decorative and geared to the occasional user?

As a woodworker, I'd be interested in making a mill that matched our kitchen BUT ONLY IF it qualifies as a good grinder.

What do the coffee gurus think of them?

J. Roger,

it's all about the burrs. The most important thing in the grinder are the burrs. Do those kits say anything about what actually grinds the coffee?

I do not know the specifics of the grinder mechanism you may be looking at, but when I searched around I found a photo of a similar grinder which noted "Mechanisms are functional but intended for decorative use". Which was my expectation. If you are an occasional coffee drinker who drinks filtered drip coffee or Aeropress, then it might work well enough. Otherwise I would consider this as a backup grinder to use when the power was out, or as a fun novelty item...like to make coffee when friends or family are visiting, but not as a general purpose grinder.

I have not used this type of grinder but I believe the burr/grind mechanism is small and will not generate as precise a grind as you need. It probably has some sweet spot within its overall grind adjustment, but I believe you would find it hard to use.

J. Roger,

it's all about the burrs. The most important thing in the grinder are the burrs. Do those kits say anything about what actually grinds the coffee?

I could not find any information that specific. All descriptions were more geared towards woodworkers looking to make gifts for coffee loving loved ones. Was kinda hoping someone here had been gifted a similar mill/grinder and could comment on it.

..."Mechanisms are functional but intended for decorative use"...I believe the burr/grind mechanism is small and will not generate as precise a grind as you need....

Thanks for the info, that is what I kinda expected but was still somewhat hoping that they could be viable. One never knows till one asks.

Top Bottom