What's new

Boar Brush Face-Off

Hi All,

I'm starting to get my Christmas wish list in order (added bonus, I have a wedding anniversary between now and then = twice as many chances!) and I've decided that I'd like another brush. I currently have an Omega Pro 10048 and a Semogue 610. I've narrowed my search down to either an Omega 31064 or a Semogue SOC. I face lather exclusively and use soaps about 95% of the time.

I should add that the Omega isn't getting a lot of love these days because I find it too big for face lathering and the Semogue knot sometimes feels a little too small.

Can anyone shed (no pun intended) some light on how these 2 brushes compare, either to each other or to my existing pair. Or just chime in with your love (or hate) of either brush. I want to hear all the good and the bad.

Given the choice which would you choose??

PS. Given enough time I'll probably end up with both of them at some stage, but for now just the 1 will do.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have not tried the 31064, but the SOC is a fantastic brush. While the SOC is smaller than the 48, it is still a large brush.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I've had my Omega 31064 for over a year. I read "a beginners guide to boar brushes" (google it) and bought it based on that detailed article. It's my all-arounder boar brush and the handle is as nice to use as any brush I own.

I have a 31064 and it is a really nice brush and I do face lather with it. That said, it is a really big knot and will generate a ton of lather and can get a bit unwieldy on the face. The SOC boar isn't much smaller but is reported to be a bit firmer and more controlled than the 31064. I'm personally moving to smaller knots as I add new brushes to my rotation.

I've had a SOC and own a 48. The 48 has a bigger knot than the SOC, but the 48 does not splay as much as the SOC imho.

I actually enjoy face lathering with the 48 because of how precise i can be with that big ol' knot.

I guess what I'm saying is that the SOC has smaller dimensions on paper than the 48, but in my opinion, is larger on you face and less nimble than the 48.

I've had my Omega 31064 for over a year. I read "a beginners guide to boar brushes" (google it) and bought it based on that detailed article. It's my all-arounder boar brush and the handle is as nice to use as any brush I own.

I think I've read that article and ended up getting the 48 because of it. It also helped that was the only brush I could find locally, on a whim.

I've had a SOC and own a 48. The 48 has a bigger knot than the SOC, but the 48 does not splay as much as the SOC imho.

I actually enjoy face lathering with the 48 because of how precise i can be with that big ol' knot.

I guess what I'm saying is that the SOC has smaller dimensions on paper than the 48, but in my opinion, is larger on you face and less nimble than the 48.

Hmm. That doesn't bode well. I find the 48 a bit on the uncontrollable side as it is.

So thinking about it for a moment. Is there an Omega that has similar dimensions to the 610?

I have an Omega 10019. It has a 50mm loft but behaves like a smaller brush than a 610. You can look at a 55mm Omega if you want something a little bigger. There are many to choose from.

Although the SOC seems to be smaller, it splays way more than the Omega and for me was therefore both too floppy and too un-focused...I compare it to the slightly smaller Omega 49 though, not to the 48

I have also tried the Semogue 2000, and it has also the same splaying pattern, and from the pictures I have seen of other Semogue brushes, they all splay (way) more than Omegas. So if you want to try a Semogue, you should go smaller in comparison to the Omegas.

I could also recommend the B&B Essential Boar - which has an Omega knot and has a great focus for face lathering...for me the handle is a bit too small and I like that my 49 can hold more lather. But if you don't need more than 4 passes of lather and don't have big hands like me the B&B might be the perfect brush for you.

I am not fond of boar brush. At the end, either if you lather on or off the face, you lather the cheeks and chin. Face deserves badger. Period. IMO, just my nutshell.

My feelings exactly. The 48 is big, but it is also nimble.

Maybe I just need to practice some more with the 48. Do you have any tips on how to control it?

have a look at Omega 11126. i have not seen a better looking omega. 24x55 good medium size brush with pretty wooden handle.

I've actually posted about that brush recently. It really is beautiful, and I've heard wonderful things about it. Looking forward to getting mine!

Also, a brush that always impresses me that I currently have in rotation is the Omega 10098. It is a large brush, but feels wonderful on the skin and makes some of the best lather I've ever had. Its handle is incredibly comfortable also, which is a big plus in my book. Not to mention that it can be had for not very much at all. I've seen them around $10.99 with free shipping on Amazon, but picked mine up for a little over $11, also with free shipping on Amazon.

Maybe I just need to practice some more with the 48. Do you have any tips on how to control it?

I try to keep it dry - I know this sounds counter intuitive with a boar, but I wring out the water, load and then start adding water again slowly. Having said that, in my experience with boars the lather is released very easily and it is hard to keep in in the knot when face lathering. So I tend to scrape excess lather off into the vessel I soaked the brush before it starts flying around the bathroom :lol:

SOC has a great handle and face feel, but splays too much. I prefer the Omega 10049. Wish it had a nice cherry handle.

I would recommend the omega 10810 beehive. It's an excellent brush for face lathering!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414757436.686986.jpg

Sometimes I bowl lather and other times I face lather. After my SOC cherry started to break in it became the favorite among my several other boars. I just ordered one with the ash handle and it's on the way from Vintage Scent in Portugal as we speak.

Top Bottom