What's new

Mild Better?

I have been using a double edged razor for several years. I have two adjustable models. I finally realized for me at least a milder setting is better than a more aggressive setting. It's the angle of the blade, more than the gap, that matters. I get a much smoother shave, with fewer risks, at a much lower setting. I just wanted to share that and ask if anyone has had similar experiences.

Perhaps because of the sense that "aggressive" was more manly, I'd been using a more aggressive setting than needed or ideal.

The best part of DE shaving is finding the combination of hardware and software that works best for YOU and no one else. No need to do what others do. Congrats on finding your personal zone!!

Perhaps because of the sense that "aggressive" was more manly, I'd been using a more aggressive setting than needed or ideal.

IMO this sums it up.

Nothing wrong with using a milder setting, in fact, milder razors require a refined technique, it's not easy to develop that technique.

Aggressive razors are like a shortcut, it takes you to your destination a bit faster, but probably you didn't enjoy the trip.

However, IMHO one can enjoy both mild and aggressive razors, I'm one of those persons.

I did my time with aggressive razors last year, including a Cadet open comb and an R41. The shaves were not enjoyable.

I sold everything else when I got my Weber as it has a nice balance, but I'm considering getting an R89 again, because there are times I want an even milder shave.

I'd rather do more passes with a milder razor than be super cautious with an aggressive one.

Depends on the day for me. If I have time I enjoy a milder shave and more passes. If I don't, I'm all about an aggressive open comb and a 2 pass shave.

i use 1 1/2 and 2 on my progress and i get alot better shave at that setting than a higher one. this site can sway your buying and shaving decisions alot. i feel alot of people here buy the razors more often talked about here than what they themselves would have actually choosen. now the advice given here may be the right one, but then again it may also be the wrong one. ive learned just recently that i need to use the razors that actually shave me correctly and leave me bbs and irritant free, rather than using a razor that most others here use and talk about on a daily basis. its the same as using a lower setting. alot of people crank their adjustables up to 9 and shave, and actually say their getting great shaves, well for me, thats not a wise decision at all. i use a nice moderate setting, a nice sharp blade, and i leave my bathroom perfectly smooth and with a bbs shave. thats all that really matters. no need to "fit in", do what works best for you.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I always recommend the mildest setting that your technique, face and beard allows. It does require good technique to achieve a BBS with a mild setting.

Some people have too heavy a beard for a mild setting, so use the mildest setting you can.

I have been using a double edged razor for several years. I have two adjustable models. I finally realized for me at least a milder setting is better than a more aggressive setting. It's the angle of the blade, more than the gap, that matters. I get a much smoother shave, with fewer risks, at a much lower setting. I just wanted to share that and ask if anyone has had similar experiences.

I've always thought (and said) that. "Aggressive" is way overrated, IMHO. Good call!

Much prefer a mild razor. I've just shaved 5 days growth with a Futur loaded with a Feather & a lovely slick lather. I only got a few weepers & achieved BBS but didn't enjoy the experience as much as a shave with my Progress.

I think aggressiveness is very overrated. There is no hair that can't be cut by a good blade. The rest is preference and adaptation of your technique to the tools at hand. I can get a great shave out of a Slim set on 9 or a Blue Tip.

The best part of DE shaving is finding the combination of hardware and software that works best for YOU and no one else. No need to do what others do. Congrats on finding your personal zone!!
+1. I like my R41's, Fatips, Cadets and other heavy duty razors along with my straights. I realise that my preferences are overkill for must shavers, but it works for me. I live and let live and I'm truly happy for everyone that finds what works best for him/her.

Definitely prefer taking a walk on the 'Mild' side. Have built up quite the collection of razors in my short tenure DE shaving. But ever since acquiring my Merkur Mergress XL adjustable, set at a rather mild 2, my shaves have been extremely pleasant, sans any irritation or rash, and always bbs smooth. The milder setting suits me just fine.

IMHO, the mildest shave I've ever achieved was from my vintage Stably....but....there were areas on my neck that no matter how many passes I made, there would still be stubble left. Over a period of time, I've moved to the Ikon Slant. That's quite a change in aggressiveness, but I get the best shaves I've ever gotten from a three-pass shave with that razor. The secret is a feather light touch. No pressure. After a couple of shaves with it, It's much more forgiving of the amount of pressure to use.

I also prefer the milder razor, sharper blade combination. After first getting a Fatboy, I had the impression from a few people here that you weren't manly if you didn't dial it up to a 9. I've since learned I can get a BBS shave on a 2 and it's much more comfortable.

Obviously it's a YMMV thing, but it does feel at times like more aggressive shavers make the most noise.

I agree 100%.. ....and so do most of us here......but it is so mush fun trying other things. Welcome to the B&B.........

Manly, Schmanly. I use a bit more aggressive razor 90% of the time, but occasionally I do enjoy a mild shave with the Feather.

That's what I though... Sometimes, I do some pretty odd things for the "manliness" even though it makes no sense whatsoever. Even though I'm definitely not the "manly man" type.

Did I go from cartridges to a safety razor. Nope... I stared using a straight razor. Now I tell ya "y'all". That's manly!

They do work well, they are aggressive and it is possible to get a comfortable nick free shave with them when you get used to it, but the maintenance and the aggressiveness is just too much.

I have a r41 (aggressive), a 33c (quite mild), a shavette (agreesive) and a straight (agressive).

My everyday razor is the 33c. The mildest razor that I own.

Top Bottom