What's new

EBAY USERS: How long does it take for products to ship from the UK to the USA?

I'm thinking about ordering something from EBAY and this particularly shavette is in England, I was wondering how long it takes, otherwise I'll just pay 2 dollars more and order from the USA seller.

I've had it take less than a week, and I've had it take 3-4 weeks. It depends mostly on customs, and how long they decide to take. If it's $2 difference, I would just get it here, but then, I'm impatient. :-D

As a general guide, once it is at the post office it will take 2-3 days usually to get to the USA. In customs (going by my experience in Canada) it can take as little as a day or 2 but if they are busy or it falls by the wayside I once had a package sit in customs for 3 weeks for no apparent reason.

So if it gets to you in a week it is good, but 2 weeks is a lot more common in my experience. Shipping from the UK can also be very expensive, especially if you want tracking.

Guess I'll be ordering from the U.S seller, I'm like a kid at Christmas when ordering something, I want it now!

1-4 weeks. Horribly inconsistent from the UK. Depends also, on the priority of the shipping. This can double or triple the cost of of shipping. Sometimes the cost of the priority shipping with tracking and insurance can exceed the cost of the razor. I will always get a quote from the seller, for the shipping cost, long before bidding.
I just had a Big Fellow razor shipped from France, and it took less than a week. Big surprise, since the majority of the French sellers don't like shipping to the USA.

1-4 weeks. Horribly inconsistent from the UK.

Your Customs are horribly inconsistent, it has nothing to do with the UK or any other origin country.

Your package leaves the origin country in 2-3 days. From that point on, it's up to your Customs, USPS, whatever ...

You don't see the Royal Mail folks delivering packages there in the US, do you? :tongue_sm

Your Customs are horribly inconsistent, it has nothing to do with the UK or any other origin country.

Your package leaves the origin country in 2-3 days. From that point on, it's up to your Customs, USPS, whatever ...

You don't see the Royal Mail folks delivering packages there in the US, do you? :tongue_sm

Pretty much spot on, everything I have sent from the UK has hit the other side of the pond in 2-3 days, then sometimes it just slows down while it goes through cutoms and various mail centres according to the tracking info I get.
I have just tracked 2 parcels I sent on the 23rd, they are both now already in the US after 3 days.

I've noticed that stuff I order from the U.S. always takes far longer to arrive (in Thailand) than anything I order from the UK, leading me to assume (rightly or wrongly) that the USPS is rather slow. Most UK orders arrive in 6-10 days, whereas those from the U.S. tend to take at least a fortnight and as long as a month in some cases.

Last edited:
I've noticed that stuff I order from the U.S. always takes far longer to arrive (in Thailand) than anything I order from the UK, leading me to assume (rightly or wrongly) that the USPS is rather slow. Most UK orders arrive in 6-10 days, whereas those from the U.S. tend to take at least a fortnight and as long as a month in some cases.

USPS is fast, reliable, efficient and very consistent. US Customs, on the other hand...

That is undoubtedly the source of your delays.

To be fair to customs, though, they are underfunded, under staffed, and they have the Herculean task of making sure that everything that comes into or leaves the country isn't made of drugs. They're slow and don't do a good job, but I can't imagine them doing a good job under the constraints they're under.

I'd just add (or stress) the importance of knowing what sort of shipping you've paid for...it makes a huge difference. Maybe the US shipper was only $2 more with basic, but a lot _less_ with expedited shipping, tracking, etc. If you make delivery speed constant and let the total cost (item plus shipping) vary, the UK version might suddenly not be such a bargain.

USPS is fast, reliable, efficient and very consistent. US Customs, on the other hand...

That is undoubtedly the source of your delays.
It's a shame because I'm like TAZORAC, a big kid when it comes to waiting for things to arrive in the post. It has to be the worst thing about living here. The very worst is when I don't hear the postman come and have to wait another day, knowing it's just sitting there at the local sorting office.

If if I had more money I think I'd seriously consider moving to the U.S. just to get round this problem.

Last edited:
I ordered something with tracking from the UK several months ago. 2 days to get to New Jersey. Another 18 days to leave NJ.

Customs is a mess.

I ordered something from the U.S., it left Tennessee, went to NY, then to NJ, then to Miami, FL for a few days, then back to NY, then finally hit Canada and got to me 2 days later. Not typical of USPS, but every once in a while I get a package that does some sightseeing.

I ordered something from the U.S., it left Tennessee, went to NY, then to NJ, then to Miami, FL for a few days, then back to NY, then finally hit Canada and got to me 2 days later. Not typical of USPS, but every once in a while I get a package that does some sightseeing.

+1 I made two BST purchases on the same day. One from Texas and one from California. Both shipped out on Oct 14. The Texas order took a week. The California purchase was stuck in LA for a week and should be getting here of Thursday.

In contrast, my experience with Royal Mail from the UK to Central Canada has been great with my packages coming at 4-5 business days.

Top Bottom