What's new

Scout camporee

Great weather here in NC mountains. Camporee today with 11 Scouts and 10 very energetic Webelos.

Fun campfire and peach and blackberry cobbler

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 86
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 85
Have fun. I love this NC weather, best of both "worlds." Nice cool nights and warm days right now, perfect for camping.

I sometimes miss my days as a Scoutmaster:
$Boy Scout Jamboree 1 1975.jpg
Start of breakfast
$Boy Scout Jamboree 3 1975.jpg
Scouts Solving a Problem With a Little Breeze
$Boy Scouts 10 1975.jpg
Leadership Corps On Backpacking Trip Into Sangre de Cristos

Does it remind you of stirling's "Texas On Fire" soap. That is what this scent smells like to me - hours around the campfire!

Last edited:
Those are cool pictures, Kit Walker. Looks like early 1970's. I have and use a Coleman stove like that one. It was my grandfather's and dates to mid-1960's. I love seeing Scouts solve problems and grow from their bad and good decisions.

I worked as a Unit Commissioner for about 6 years and the Commissioner staff in our district took pride in camping at every camporee. One of the most difficult was a gourmet cooking themed camporee and the commissioners had to judge the scouts cooking. There is nothing quite like having to eat squid prepared by boy scouts over a campfire, all before you have finished your first cup of coffee in the morning. The scouts did great though.

Steve Wood Badge SR-38

We just started my son in Scouts this year as a Wolf. Unfortunately, he missed the first Campboree due to a prior scheduled family vaca. We are saving up to start getting him geared up for future outings. He loves weekend camping with his old man at the local state park, but he hasn't really had the roughing-it experience yet. Hopefully he will stick with scouting for a little while and get something out of it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That looks like a great time!

I luv dutch oven cobbler.

I think I had apple last time...blackberry is going to be next.

And +1 on the old Coleman stove. I still have my Dad's stove, along with a Thermos brand gas lantern, that date back to the 60s. They both still work like champs.

The event is ca. 1975. The stove is a svea 123 with a sigg tourist cooker. I think that was its second outing.

I still use it.

Every day spent camping adds weeks to your life.

Hats off to BSAguy and others who introduce young people (and their parents) to having a good time out doors.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Many memories; My Dad was a professional in Scouting all his life retiring as a Deputy Regional Executive of a 4 state area. Starting at age 2 my family spent summers at Delavan, Wisconsin while Dad administered the camp there. Among other things, I learned how to swim at an early age. Later I learned canoeing and sailboating long before I was old enough for Cub Scouts.

Nope. It's a svea 123 -- 40 years old and still going strong. The little piece of wire that I use to clean the orifice broke a couple of months ago -- its first failure.

Top Bottom