What's new

Newbie from Cleveland

Hello Badger & Blade!

I've been browsing this forum for a month now and just decided to sign up and say hello. I've been wet shaving with cartridges for 6-7 years now and just now getting into DE. I've read a lot of the benefits and fun people have with DE, but honestly, I got sick of paying an arm and a leg for Fusion cartridges. I bought my first DE (Edwin Jagger BL89) last month and I've been practicing for over 4 weeks now.

Although I will never get those 6 years back I wasted on cartridges, I did have some top notch gear during that time. A family member used to work at the Art of Shaving and so every so often I'd find a starter pack or travel pack under the Christmas tree. Plus, I also got some discounts when I upgraded my pure badger brush. My very first brush and cream pack was AOS Sandalwood and let me tell you, that ruined me for life with all sandalwood scents everywhere. Nothing compares to it. I also tried the Lavender scent and it was great, but I guess I am a sandalwood guy.

Well, eventually that family member moved on and quit his job so I had to find a new source of shaving products. I found C.O. Bigelow/Proraso and have been using them ever since. It was not until I stumbled upon this thread that I saw the vast amount of selection on the market. I must admit, I've succumb to the shaving acquisition syndrome. Thanks to you fine people here on B&B, I checked out Whipped Dog brushes and bought my first Silvertip! Couldn't be happier and the transaction with Larry was a breeze. I also dabbled into a few Taylor of Old Bond Street scents, Captain's Choice aftershaves, Nivea cream, and......another DE! (Merkur 1904 Classic open comb). My two brushes and two razors now proudly hang from a double stand in my bathroom :001_cool:

Anyway, I could go on for hours, but I will save it for another post. I might need some newbie advice. Since I started shaving with a DE, I get nicked 8 out of 10 times. The good news is that I am getting better and the nicks are fewer and smaller now. I also see less redness and bumps than I did with the cartridge. However, I still can't seem to get out of the bathroom unscathed. It's frustrating! The EJ I have is a closed comb, the Merkur an open combed. I tried the Merkur only once and realized maybe I'm not ready for open comb yet.

So any advice? I do 2 full passes, first with the grain, next cross the grain. Then I will touch up some areas for a 3rd or 4th pass cross the grain. The other thing is, I can never get baby bottom smooth in some areas. Under the nose, chin, and neck never seem to get smooth no matter how many passes I do. I did have one day where everything was 95% perfect, but not sure what happened after that. I have been rotating creams for the past few weeks just to test scents and performance. Does that matter much? So far I can't tell much different between them all. Also, I always see more nicks when I put a new blade in than when I'm at the 4-5th shave with the same blade. Is there some magic technique I am missing here, or do I just have to put in my time and pay my dues with the almighty DE?

Thanks for having me everyone! Great forum!

Welcome aboard, I still get nicks, part of the game is making a blood sacrifice to the shaving Gods!

Welcome to the B & B forum! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a super forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here.

Hello and welcome! Sounds to me like you're doing just fine-- don't chase the BBS too hard is the advice I'd offer

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Shaving with a single-bladed razor is a learned skill. It takes time and practice to master. As you observed, your shaves are getting better, that means that you are learning the tricks. New blades are always harsher until they settle down. Keep with it and you will eventually succeed. Don't blame the razor--it's just you getting acquainted with it.

Thanks everyone for the support and advice! I guess my hunch was correct. I need sacrifice to the DE gods and keep practicing.

I have one more general question about creams and aftershaves. I've dabbled mainly with creams in the $10-20 range (Proraso, TOBS, and Nivea) and they seem to work well. After reading a lot of posts here, I discovered other luxury products that tend to run $30+ for a tub or jar (Castle Forbes, T&H, DR Harris, etc....).

My question is, are they really worth it compared to the cheaper TOBS, Trumpers, Proraso, etc ? TOBS runs around $15 on amazon and Castle Forbes runs north of $30. Is CF REALLY double the quality? Same with aftershaves. I can get a Nivea balm for $8 or the Proraso Green for $14. Why spend $35 on TOBS or Trumpers? Just curious, that's all!

Welcome, my friend.

I also got my start at AoS. I stumbled into the AoS store in Beachwood Mall and the rest is history. Now I don't know how I ever shaved another way.

Stick it out with the DE. There is a minimum 6 months learning curve. You will see improvements before this, but the shaves will become consistent after this period. You will even notice significant improvements up to 1 year and then any changes will be only marginal after that. Once you get it down, the DE dominates a cartridge razor. I have tried many types but I prefer an open comb.

With regards to the cost of products...Cost has zero correlation with quality of shave. Absolutely zero. In fact, my daily shaving soap is VdH Deluxe. Arko, Palmolive and many others work as good or better than higher end products. The only "luxury" product that I used to think was worth the extra expense was the old formulation of AoS shaving soaps. It performed very well. I personally think the luxury comes from the experience, not from how much you pay for the product.

Good luck, keep at it and keep experimenting.

Welcome to the forum!

As has been mentioned, be patient, take your time and don't try for BBS as a comfortable shave is what you want.
Good luck.

Thanks all! Wow, now all the Clevelanders will be coming out of the woodwork. Beachwood Mall was the mecca for AOS for sure. Thanks for the advice so far!

Go Tribe, Browns, Cavs, Buckeyes, and Bluejackets!

Top Bottom